My Opinion on What's Going On With Dak's Contract

shabazz

Reaction score
My guess is Jerry knows it and it scares him to death that Dak could go to another team and win it all.
It wouldn't surprise me if he has thoughts like that and that's a problem with the owner being the GM.

He makes emotional decisions rather than sound football decisions. Just look at him letting go of Amari Cooper for a ham sandwich.

He didn't draft him and he fell out of Jerry's good graces.....so he was gone

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think there is a major fundamental discord that most of the media and fans don’t even realize is happening:

Last year, Joe Burrow signed on to be the highest AAV athlete in the history of organized football for 55m$. This year, Trevor Lawrence matched that, and Jared Goff took slightly less than that at 53m$. Tua and Love are next up.

The problem is everyone is clamoring for Dak to take 56m$ and be the highest paid player ever, as that seems like the correct course for him. I believe Jerry is probably offering something like this and is continually backed up by the Dunning Krugers of the social platforms. But that is the wrong way for this to play out, and I believe the core reason Dak hasn’t signed yet.

Trevor Lawrence is not a viable player/situation to command the highest paid QB contract. Jared Goff isn’t a viable player to get close to commanding the highest QB contract. Neither is Tua nor Love. Dak is in a position to do that, despite playoff woes, due to prolificity, MVP considerations, and incredible leverage he currently holds. The previous 4 QBs are properly paid (or will be), even though they’re not viable top-of-the-market situations… why would I say that? Because 55m$ isn’t the top QB number for 2024 and shouldn’t be what Dak is going for. 2024 had the highest cap jump in league history. 2023’s 55m$ is the same cap % as 61m$ in 2024. By taking a deal around 56m$, Dak’s agent would be tanking the QB’s market share relative to the cap for the first time in 6 years as no other QB is going to get that amount.

When this tweet came out, people went nuts at how apparently greedy Prescott is trying to be. But this is exactly what he should be asking for and getting. From 2022 offseason to 2023, the highest paid QB jumped by 5m$ AAV. 2021 to 2022 was 5m$. And now with the biggest cap jump in history, it hasn’t changed at all. I believe the holdup is Jerry doesn’t get this.

TLDR; Dak’s AAV should rightfully be starting with a 6; that’s not him getting a ridiculous number; that’s him getting the appropriate number. Dallas’ inability to accept that is the reason I believe there’s a real chance he’s elsewhere next season. Todd France is not going to accept a market-deflating deal.

Oh Jerry "get's it" He just doesn't agree with it. Which is his right as the owner. But because he is also the GM and has no business being the GM and his mismanaged the ENTIRE Dak situation for years....here we are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blitzen

Reaction score
The most logical prediction is still that Dallas caves. The only team that’s ever let go of a pro bowl Caliber QB at Dak’s age or younger was Washington, and they made it known they weren’t going to sign him well before it happened. Dallas has been insisting the opposite

True, but since Jerry cannot be fired-the decisions he makes do not have to follow the typical GM protocol. The other interesting thing is most QB’s with so little postseason success never make it to a third contract from the same team. The only others I can think of are Tony Romo and Matthew Stafford (who was traded during his third contract).

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get that the cap is rising but I will always say the max should be X% of the cap for the very best player at the position. Everyone else is X-Y where Y is how far below the best guy they are.
For the most part that is what is happening. The Goff example is a really good one of that. People were shocked by his $53M AAV, but he ranks 11th in % of the cap, sandwiched between Stafford and Lawrence.

Similar situation with Amon-Ra St Brown where people flipped out that he got $30M per year, but he is still at 11% of the cap where as Hill/Jefferson/Adams lead the way with 14%,13%,13% respectfully. St Brown is in the same group as DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, and Jaylen Waddle which seems in line with his production.

I would have to guess that this is the sticking point with Jerry/Dak right now too. If Dak wants to up Burrow by % of the cap I can see it being an issue. If Dak wants to up Burrow by AAV they could probably get a deal done as you're really just paying him slightly more than Goff. Paying him over what Burrow gets by % of the cap is probably not what Jerry wants to do but also not what the rest of the NFL wants to see either.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think there is a major fundamental discord that most of the media and fans don’t even realize is happening:

Last year, Joe Burrow signed on to be the highest AAV athlete in the history of organized football for 55m$. This year, Trevor Lawrence matched that, and Jared Goff took slightly less than that at 53m$. Tua and Love are next up.

The problem is everyone is clamoring for Dak to take 56m$ and be the highest paid player ever, as that seems like the correct course for him. I believe Jerry is probably offering something like this and is continually backed up by the Dunning Krugers of the social platforms. But that is the wrong way for this to play out, and I believe the core reason Dak hasn’t signed yet.

Trevor Lawrence is not a viable player/situation to command the highest paid QB contract. Jared Goff isn’t a viable player to get close to commanding the highest QB contract. Neither is Tua nor Love. Dak is in a position to do that, despite playoff woes, due to prolificity, MVP considerations, and incredible leverage he currently holds. The previous 4 QBs are properly paid (or will be), even though they’re not viable top-of-the-market situations… why would I say that? Because 55m$ isn’t the top QB number for 2024 and shouldn’t be what Dak is going for. 2024 had the highest cap jump in league history. 2023’s 55m$ is the same cap % as 61m$ in 2024. By taking a deal around 56m$, Dak’s agent would be tanking the QB’s market share relative to the cap for the first time in 6 years as no other QB is going to get that amount.

When this tweet came out, people went nuts at how apparently greedy Prescott is trying to be. But this is exactly what he should be asking for and getting. From 2022 offseason to 2023, the highest paid QB jumped by 5m$ AAV. 2021 to 2022 was 5m$. And now with the biggest cap jump in history, it hasn’t changed at all. I believe the holdup is Jerry doesn’t get this.

TLDR; Dak’s AAV should rightfully be starting with a 6; that’s not him getting a ridiculous number; that’s him getting the appropriate number. Dallas’ inability to accept that is the reason I believe there’s a real chance he’s elsewhere next season. Todd France is not going to accept a market-deflating deal.

:hammer:This is bigger than Dak and the Cowboys. France and the NFLPA want Dak to get top dollar. France was interviewed after Dak signed the last contract and he was upset because he believed Dak should have gotten more. France is shark and he wants the biggest contract in NFL history. Dak is hitting free agency next offseason. On a side note the NFLPA is really upset with Mahomes right now for signing that sweetheart deal with the Chiefs. Mahomes should be getting 70 million a season in 2025.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You’re an Eagles fan.

How much would you love to see the news of Dak resigning to the Cowboys?
Doesn’t matter which team is your favorite in Prescott’s case. If Dak is going to “bet on himself” he should leave the Cowboys and play for some other team. If Jerry Jones thinks his organization can compete for a Super Bowl he shouldn’t to want to sign to a contract at any amount. If they somehow come to an agreement they’re both full of it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter which team is your favorite in Prescott’s case. If Dak is going to “bet on himself” he should leave the Cowboys and play for some other team. If Jerry Jones thinks his organization can compete for a Super Bowl he shouldn’t to want to sign to a contract at any amount. If they somehow come to an agreement they’re both full of it.
Dak is a loser.

He will sign with the highest bidder. If the highest bidder isn’t a legit contender he will still sign.

I see him going to Vegas or the Giants.

Steve007

Reaction score

It's simple. Dak wants too much money. The FO knows Dak will need a lot of talent around him. He doesn't elevate players. He needs great players to elevate him. Pay him too much the talent goes down. It's getting harder to con the fans that Dak can lead this team to a Superbowl. The money that Dak, Parsons and Lamb want will take half the salary cap.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak is a loser.

He will sign with the highest bidder. If the highest bidder isn’t a legit contender he will still sign.

I see him going to Vegas or the Giants.
I guess a lot can change a team’s situation over the course of this season, but if I had to bet on a team right now that would sign him I would bet on the Giants. He’s definitely going to the highest bidder.

visionary

Reaction score

Wow, this sort of insight has been sorely lacking here
Please go on
Did you come up with this all on your own or did other mouth breathing Sheagles fans help

:lmao:

dogberry

Reaction score
Does Prescott’s $15 million in endorsements travel to every team in the League or a select few?

Ten percent state income tax in some markets.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Its good information and a great read so thank you for posting this, but some of us just want Dak gone already.

Chasing6

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is that, just like last time, Dak is overriden w/ extreme greed. What a sad young man.
GM Jethro was greedy by tagging him 2 years. GM Jethro showed what loyalty by trading for Trance? Dak owes GM Jethro nothing.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Good writeup. I think you are both right and wrong. I think you are about him and his team knowing their value and be unwilling to accept less. However I domt think he is elsewhere. I think they (Dak and his team) are waiting on Loves deal. I think they are seeing if Love can top the market.