My problem with the draft

waldoputty

Reaction score
i really liked the 2nd and 3rd round picks. the value based approach made sense because it was known that it was a deep draft to about player 100.

but look at what happened after the 3rd round. the cowboys did not trade up even though the top half of the 4th round had better players that people wanted. and everyone knew that including all the teams. instead they kept sitting around again wanting to keep all their picks. while one may say that it was too expensive to trade up, that was simply not true. the patriots even traded ahead of cowboys in the 3rd with a 5th and a 2020 4th. imagined if cowboys got damien harris that was along with their picks...

players were traded ahead of the cowboys' #128 pick for pollard. in fact, picks 104, 109, 111, 114, 116.

even after cowboys' #128, others traded up before cowboys' 2nd 4th round pick, for example atlanta traded for #135 to take DE cominsky.

imagine if cowboys traded for picks to take rb damien harris and cb johnson while giving up their 2nd 4th, 5th and both 7th picks and perhap a 5th from 2020. their 2019 draft would be hill, mcgovern, rb harris, pollard, s hooker (or cb johnson). this draft would have been much more exciting.

Patriots trade up

Patriots receive:
» 2019 third-round pick (No. 87; select RB Damien Harris)

Bears receive:
» 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 162; trade to Minnesota)
» 2020 fourth-round pick

Bengals move up

Bengals receive:
» 2019 fourth-round pick (No. 104; select QB Ryan Finley)

49ers receive:
» 2019 fourth-round pick (No. 110; select P Mitch Wishnowsky)
» 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 183; select T Justin Skule)

Raiders swap with Colts

Colts receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 109; select S Khari Willis)

Raiders receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 129; select CB Isaiah Johnson)
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 135; trade to Atlanta)

Falcons trade up

Falcons receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 111; select CB Kendall Sheffield)

Lions receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 117; select DE Austin Bryant)
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 186; select RB Ty Johnson)

Vikings trade up

Vikings receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 114; select G Dru Samia)

Seahawks receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 120; select WR Gary Jennings)
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 204; select RB Travis Homer)

Tennessee moves up

Titans receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 116; select S Amani Hooker)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 168; select LB D'Andre Walker)

Jets receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 121; select TE Trevon Wesco)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 157; select LB Blake Cashman)

Denver trades for player

Broncos receive:
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 212; trade to Panthers)
» LB Dekoda Watson

49ers receive:
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 148; select LB Dre Greenlaw)

Rams trade up to draft DT

Rams receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 134; select DT Greg Gaines)
» 2019 seventh-round (No. 243; select S Nick Scott)

Patriots receive:
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 162; trade to Minnesota)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 167; trade to Philadelphia)

Atlanta trades up

Falcons receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 135; select DE John Cominsky)

Raiders receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 137; select TE Foster Moreau)
» 2019 seventh-round (No. 230; select DE Quinton Bell)

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, they could have made a move to get a player they liked. But I won’t say should have. As we just never know.
At the end they valued their picks, and as it turned out, valued getting 2 more picks, so it was 8 picks vs 5 picks, if it only cost them one pick to move up.

But if it was going to cost them 2 picks, either this year or one this year and one next. I can see why they did what they did.
But say only one pick this year, I wish they would have. To get one of those players and they still could have got Jackson, Wilson, Weber too. As I don’t think they needed the 2 DE’s.

Remember they do not have a 6th round 2020 pick, for the Quinn trade. So they was not going to trade away another pick.
As I read the team liked several players when it was their pick, but not one so great over others on the board that they could get by moving down a little.

Overall I think the draft turned out decent. Not spectacular like we always want, but not a disaster either.
We all look at it differently. Like I said I don’t like the 2 DE picks, but another person may like them.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I agree, they could have made a move to get a player they liked. But I won’t say should have. As we just never know.
At the end they valued their picks, and as it turned out, valued getting 2 more picks, so it was 8 picks vs 5 picks, if it only cost them one pick to move up.

But if it was going to cost them 2 picks, either this year or one this year and one next. I can see why they did what they did.
But say only one pick this year, I wish they would have. To get one of those players and they still could have got Jackson, Wilson, Weber too. As I don’t think they needed the 2 DE’s.

Remember they do not have a 6th round 2020 pick, for the Quinn trade. So they was not going to trade away another pick.
As I read the team liked several players when it was their pick, but not one so great over others on the board that they could get by moving down a little.

Overall I think the draft turned out decent. Not spectacular like we always want, but not a disaster either.
We all look at it differently. Like I said I don’t like the 2 DE picks, but another person may like them.

the problem with so many low picks is that most cannot be kept for development. that is because the team is deep, and we have to hope to stash them in the development squad.

we knew they liked the other player better because they traded back when those were all taken.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nobody knows how good those players are going to be anyway. They only look good on paper.
That's what I was gonna say.....you can trade up all you want but as of now they are all rookies and have't stepped on the field. If the guys can't play then what?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the problem with so many low picks is that most cannot be kept for development. that is because the team is deep, and we have to hope to stash them in the development squad.

we knew they liked the other player better because they traded back when those were all taken.

Yes. They get more picks and hope to hit on a few, as the odds go up slightly at that point.
At worse case scenario they will have a very deep PS team. :laugh:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i really liked the 2nd and 3rd round picks. the value based approach made sense because it was known that it was a deep draft to about player 100.

but look at what happened after the 3rd round. the cowboys did not trade up even though the top half of the 4th round had better players that people wanted. and everyone knew that including all the teams. instead they kept sitting around again wanting to keep all their picks. while one may say that it was too expensive to trade up, that was simply not true. the patriots even traded ahead of cowboys in the 3rd with a 5th and a 2020 4th. imagined if cowboys got damien harris that was along with their picks...

players were traded ahead of the cowboys' #128 pick for pollard. in fact, picks 104, 109, 111, 114, 116.

even after cowboys' #128, others traded up before cowboys' 2nd 4th round pick, for example atlanta traded for #135 to take DE cominsky.

imagine if cowboys traded for picks to take rb damien harris and cb johnson while giving up their 2nd 4th, 5th and both 7th picks and perhap a 5th from 2020. their 2019 draft would be hill, mcgovern, rb harris, pollard, s hooker (or cb johnson). this draft would have been much more exciting.

Patriots trade up

Patriots receive:
» 2019 third-round pick (No. 87; select RB Damien Harris)

Bears receive:
» 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 162; trade to Minnesota)
» 2020 fourth-round pick

Bengals move up

Bengals receive:
» 2019 fourth-round pick (No. 104; select QB Ryan Finley)

49ers receive:
» 2019 fourth-round pick (No. 110; select P Mitch Wishnowsky)
» 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 183; select T Justin Skule)

Raiders swap with Colts

Colts receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 109; select S Khari Willis)

Raiders receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 129; select CB Isaiah Johnson)
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 135; trade to Atlanta)

Falcons trade up

Falcons receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 111; select CB Kendall Sheffield)

Lions receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 117; select DE Austin Bryant)
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 186; select RB Ty Johnson)

Vikings trade up

Vikings receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 114; select G Dru Samia)

Seahawks receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 120; select WR Gary Jennings)
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 204; select RB Travis Homer)

Tennessee moves up

Titans receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 116; select S Amani Hooker)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 168; select LB D'Andre Walker)

Jets receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 121; select TE Trevon Wesco)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 157; select LB Blake Cashman)

Denver trades for player

Broncos receive:
» 2019 sixth-round (No. 212; trade to Panthers)
» LB Dekoda Watson

49ers receive:
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 148; select LB Dre Greenlaw)

Rams trade up to draft DT

Rams receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 134; select DT Greg Gaines)
» 2019 seventh-round (No. 243; select S Nick Scott)

Patriots receive:
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 162; trade to Minnesota)
» 2019 fifth-round (No. 167; trade to Philadelphia)

Atlanta trades up

Falcons receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 135; select DE John Cominsky)

Raiders receive:
» 2019 fourth-round (No. 137; select TE Foster Moreau)
» 2019 seventh-round (No. 230; select DE Quinton Bell)
Good stuff!!!

morat1959

Reaction score
Nobody knows how good those players are going to be anyway. They only look good on paper.
You are exactly right. We got the perfect player with every pick. Ask JJ, he’ll confirm. SB here we come...ask JJ, he’ll confirm!

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think they were dead set about not trading up before the draft without a 1st rd pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes. They get more picks and hope to hit on a few, as the odds go up slightly at that point.

That’s great if we can get them there.

waldoputty

Reaction score

the problem is that we gave up on the players that they liked better. also, look the patriots got damien harris (3rd ahead of us) by trading a 4th and a 5th.

morat1959

Reaction score
the problem is that we gave up on the players that they liked better. also, look the patriots got damien harris (3rd ahead of us) by trading a 4th and a 5th.
Our FO is clueless. They’ve proved it time and time again over the years and that’s not just directed at the draft.