My theory on the Dak contract

Qcard

Reaction score
I think the main reason that the Cowboys haven’t resigned Dak to a new contract is his impact on the salary CAP - not so much this year’s CAP, but the CAP for future seasons.

The Cowboys need to clear his 59M off the CAP this year, rather than kick the can down the road yet again. This is also the last year for the big contracts for Zach Martin, and DeMarcus Lawrence.

In order to set themselves up for CAP success in future seasons, AND also to have enough CAP space to sign Micah Parsons to a long term deal, they need to clear the CAP in future years. So, by letting Dak play out the final year of his contract this season, the Cowboys free themselves of a lot of rollover CAP charges they would incur by signing Dak now.

Finally, if you listen to Dak’s latest comments to the press, he says he understands what they are doing from a business perspective. And Jerry has explicitly said the failure to sign Dak this year isn’t because they don’t value Dak; rather, it is about CAP management.

Ultimately , if the Cowboys want to keep Dak (and I believe they do want Dak back), then it will cost them more in real dollars by waiting until next year. But the name of the game is CAP management. They run the risk of alienating Dak; but on the other hand, they believe Dak wants to be in Dallas, and will forgive them.

Trey Lance is their backup plan. You can see he has the physical tools to be a successful NFL QB. His arm strength and elusiveness jump out at you when you watch him. But he’s reckless with the ball - something Dak isn’t. If Dak leaves, the Cowboys will keep Lance on a cheap contract, hoping they can coach the recklessness out of him. But they’d rather have Dak.

The bottom line is the NFL economics is forcing the Cowboys to “reset” their CAP for future seasons. That is why they are choosing to take the big CAP hit for Dak this year - hoping they can fix it all next March.

At least that is my theory, based on looking at the contracts, future CAP space, and the comments coming from both Jerry and Dak.
You are so right!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think the main reason that the Cowboys haven’t resigned Dak to a new contract is his impact on the salary CAP - not so much this year’s CAP, but the CAP for future seasons.

The Cowboys need to clear his 59M off the CAP this year, rather than kick the can down the road yet again. This is also the last year for the big contracts for Zach Martin, and DeMarcus Lawrence.

In order to set themselves up for CAP success in future seasons, AND also to have enough CAP space to sign Micah Parsons to a long term deal, they need to clear the CAP in future years. So, by letting Dak play out the final year of his contract this season, the Cowboys free themselves of a lot of rollover CAP charges they would incur by signing Dak now.

Finally, if you listen to Dak’s latest comments to the press, he says he understands what they are doing from a business perspective. And Jerry has explicitly said the failure to sign Dak this year isn’t because they don’t value Dak; rather, it is about CAP management.

Ultimately , if the Cowboys want to keep Dak (and I believe they do want Dak back), then it will cost them more in real dollars by waiting until next year. But the name of the game is CAP management. They run the risk of alienating Dak; but on the other hand, they believe Dak wants to be in Dallas, and will forgive them.

Trey Lance is their backup plan. You can see he has the physical tools to be a successful NFL QB. His arm strength and elusiveness jump out at you when you watch him. But he’s reckless with the ball - something Dak isn’t. If Dak leaves, the Cowboys will keep Lance on a cheap contract, hoping they can coach the recklessness out of him. But they’d rather have Dak.

The bottom line is the NFL economics is forcing the Cowboys to “reset” their CAP for future seasons. That is why they are choosing to take the big CAP hit for Dak this year - hoping they can fix it all next March.

At least that is my theory, based on looking at the contracts, future CAP space, and the comments coming from both Jerry and Dak.
really so you're gonna want to pay prescott 75 million in dead cap over 2 years with him not here just to clear the books for 5-10 year stretch of truly bad records?? since when does the cap dictate what fans feels is best for the team. Daks best for this team the next 3 years ..redo it short term or not..NO Dak = the start of terrible stretch, hello Dave campo years. 12-15 bad qbs until we land one.,

by the way i hope you're happy with when Daks not here and you can have all these shiny toys you want, here come 6 wins maybe 8 =See NY Jets, Washington, and Giants, doesn't matter what you have elsewhere.

if Dak truly leaves,

IM trading away everyone lamb, parsons, and Diggs Tank and martin retired, gone , whatever than you keep Bland and Carson. Easy to project Huh?? how's Lance to Flournay sound.. get ready.

CWR

Reaction score

Can't they just add in his existing year and restructure however they want? I'm certainly not an expert, but my limited understanding is that they can take on or off as much as cap space allows for a given year. Meaning they should be able to extend him and not change thus years number if they so desire.

Also, I'm not sold Lance is reckless as much as he doesn't see the field and know how to make reads. This is probably a larger problem than disciplined decision making. It's an inability to make the right decision to begin with. Hopefully they can coach that into him. It's a big hope.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Ok we have to start over, what's the difference from making 12 win seasons all these years and not having playoffs success to starting off with a new qb, what's the actual real difference, the excuse that we can't start over is so small minded!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Jerry hasn't re-signed Dak yet because he isn't winning in the playoffs and this is a prove it year.
it's too late for a prove it year Prescott has full control....that's what all these quotes mean, no deal by game 1 , Dak shops his services elsewhere, raises up the prices, and very little chance he allows jerry in on his services. 55-56 now, 60+ later,

but later might burn the bridge and you have zero shot at getting dak back. He has ALL the leverage. Most in the nfl , period no debate , he literally would be doing Jerry and this fan base a favor signing now.. that a FACT!

don't lose sight of the fact and the reality that is the truth.... Prescott's not worried nor is he leaving losing sleep at all. his services 4-6 teams will; bid on him and wont have a disclaimer or condition on his playoff record.. he GONE IF he chooses to GO!. that ship sails game 1 , if dak and his agents make it so..

His quote was Jerry decide now if we go into the seaosn i know how you feel abouit me and im gone.

by the way i hope you're happy with when Daks not here and you can have all these shiny toys you want, here come 6 wins maybe 8 =See NY Jets and Giants, doesn't matter what you have elsewhere. .if Dak truly leaves,

IM trading away everyone lamb, parsons, and Diggs Tank and martin retired, gone , whatever than you keep Bland and Carson. Easy to project Huh?? how's Lance to Flournay sound.. get ready.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
If they extend Dak now, they can structure it however they want for future years. They have a 40M dead cap if they move on for him next year. If they extend him, they are able to lessen that impact and spread it out over multiple years to help with next years cap.
It is fairly easy to eat the $40M CAP hit if you have Lance on a cheap 2 year deal. If Lance works out in 2025, you sign him to an extension. Otherwise, draft a QB in 2026.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
it's too late for a prove it year Prescott has full control....that's what all these quotes mean, no deal by game 1 , Dak shops his services elsewhere, raises up the prices, and very little chance he allows jerry in on his services. 55-56 now, 60+ later,

but later might burn the bridge and you have zero shot at getting dak back. He has ALL the leverage. Most in the nfl , period no debate , he literally would be doing Jerry and this fan base a favor signing now.. that a FACT!

don't lose sight of the fact and the reality that is the truth.... Prescott's not worried nor is he leaving losing sleep at all. his services 4-6 teams will; bid on him and wont have a disclaimer or condition on his playoff record.. he GONE IF he chooses to GO!. that ship sails game 1 , if dak and his agents make it so..

His quote was Jerry decide now if we go into the seaosn i know how you feel abouit me and im gone.

by the way i hope you're happy with when Daks not here and you can have all these shiny toys you want, here come 6 wins maybe 8 =See NY Jets and Giants, doesn't matter what you have elsewhere. .if Dak truly leaves,

I’m happy with Dak staying because he’s proven to be one of the top QB’s in the NFL and he is pretty consistent.

I’m happy with Dak leaving and the Cowboys finding a new signal caller because if he can’t get over the hump after 9 seasons in Dallas, it may be time to find someone else.

I guess you could say I’m agnostic on Dak. Keep him or let him go. There is a good case for either argument.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m happy with Dak staying because he’s proven to be one of the top QB’s in the NFL and he is pretty consistent.

I’m happy with Dak leaving and the Cowboys finding a new signal caller because if he can’t get over the hump after 9 seasons in Dallas, it may be time to find someone else.

I guess you could say I’m agnostic on Dak. Keep him or let him go. There is a good case for either argument.
And then the real complaints can happen you know the valid ones when Prescott's gone this is going to be a truly Dave campo type situation. Prepare yourself .. If you haven't been paying attention finding a starting quarterback could take three years it could take 10 years..wotour one you like to call this team over Daks tenure Mediocre gt ready for the real definition to come true, just saying the complaints will be actually valid for once.

you all fools complain when we don't win by larger margins or lose to team we should beat etc etc wait until its just mostly losing. Losing in the playoffs seems bad until the really bad the truly mediocre the terrible years come.. this receipt is bookmarked. If you know anything about me, you know I'll be back here calling fans out saying they dont care one way or the other and can handle the bad years following Dak

they say that because they forget the campo type years

Sandyf

Reaction score
Lots of good points and lots of we don't want Dak. Realize the salary cap is going to be over 273 million next year, 290 in 2025 and now projected to be around 316 to 320 in 2026. Cowboys will add void years to any contract as they did already with Lamb.

Just bbelieve the hold up with Dak is number of years and the guarantee money. Dak wants either a 3 or 4 year deal while Dallas wants a 5 year deal. Think word go at 57 or 58 on a 3 year deal but probably a 5 yr deal would have to be 300 mil fully guaranteed. If I was Jerry I would go 3 years at 57/58 fully guaranteed so it gives you 3 drafts to find a guy who could sit for a year before taking over.

You have Sanders coming out in 2025 and Manning coming out in 2026. Either could be good and always others.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Lots of good points and lots of we don't want Dak. Realize the salary cap is going to be over 273 million next year, 290 in 2025 and now projected to be around 316 to 320 in 2026. Cowboys will add void years to any contract as they did already with Lamb.

Just bbelieve the hold up with Dak is number of years and the guarantee money. Dak wants either a 3 or 4 year deal while Dallas wants a 5 year deal. Think word go at 57 or 58 on a 3 year deal but probably a 5 yr deal would have to be 300 mil fully guaranteed. If I was Jerry I would go 3 years at 57/58 fully guaranteed so it gives you 3 drafts to find a guy who could sit for a year before taking over.

You have Sanders coming out in 2025 and Manning coming out in 2026. Either could be good and always others.
How do you plan on getting Sanders with a 1st round pick that has a 2 handle?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

The Cap can go up to a billion dollars, Dak has had enough time as a cowboy, he's taken enough money from us. If he were better in the playoffs, we'd be having a much different conversation