My theory on the Dak contract

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Nice post. I agree. But I also believe that they truly don’t believe in him. This is the second time they’ve done this with his contract waiting to the very end “prove it deal” type of thing. They paint themselves in the corner however by having no backup plans. They want Lance to be that but he’s not. He can’t throw.

They cave because of relevancy. We’ve watched the Hard Knocks etc. When you don’t have a QB your team is cooked. Think about this. The Chicago Bears have never had a 4,000 yard passer! They have been living in purgatory for decades. Yes they made a SB since us, but that was all on the defense with Tillman and Urlacker.

It’s a lose lose situation unless Dak wins it all. Highest paid QB? Or No QB?
Does Dak give them a reason to believe in him with a 2-5 playoff record in nearly a decade?

Shane612

Reaction score
….or the businessman Jerry Jones doesn’t know what to do with Dak, whom he has already spent $160,000,000.00 on, with nothing to show for it…

khiladi

Reaction score
Since the last time Dallas was in a Super Bowl (1995), 16 QBs have won Super Bowls, some 30 Super Bowls. There have been over 400 QBs that started for teams during that time period. It ain't easy getting there and definitely not easy winning it. We do expect more from our QBs but reality is that is ain't just the QB. Defense still wins championships, always has. It is rare that once the playoffs start that a team gets blown away.

Blame Dak for some of them but he didn't give up 48 points to GreenBay, he didn't give up a last second field gold where Rodgers went some 60 years in 30 seconds to win on a last second field goal. The defense gave up 30 points to the Rams and still a one score game, the year Goff got the Rams to the Super Bowl, and the other 2 losses were one score games. It takes a team to win and a team to lose.

Give up on Dak if you want but there is no guarantee that some rookie will lead us to the Super Bowl if we even could get a top pick in 2025 draft. Everyone seems to want Sanders or maybe the next year in Manning but odds are we (Jerry) will never give up the draft capital it would take to move from the 20s and 30s to get there. So the we hope for another Dak in the 4th round or Brady in the 6th.

It is your opinion, mind is that Dak has been 12-5 for last 3 years and if luck holds at least that again and a playoff spot and hopefully get lucky with a late 1st or 2nd round pick that can learn for a couple of years under Dak. Everyone gave up on Manning and Elway winning or getting to a Super Bowl and I believe both were at 7 years and beyond. Winning the season is important and I for one would rather be in the playoffs every year than on the outside looking in.
How many QBs have gotten past the first round consistently and into the conference championships or played in one? You forgot that part of your calculation..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
here is a good chart to show when a teams last div round win was. if they win div round they go to a conf champ game.
The texans are never, but they could change that soon, so could miami.
If Quinn gets wash on track they could in next few years.
Cleveland is possible, but like dallas they are very good at self destructing.

GEaoxY0XkAAiHXb

plymkr

Reaction score
here is a good chart to show when a teams last div round win was. if they win div round they go to a conf champ game.

GEaoxY0XkAAiHXb
Wow! That’s just depressing

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the main reason that the Cowboys haven’t resigned Dak to a new contract is his impact on the salary CAP - not so much this year’s CAP, but the CAP for future seasons.
I think Jerry hasn't re-signed Dak yet because he isn't winning in the playoffs and this is a prove it year.
I think it's actually a combination of both. I've been saying this. A 3rd contract after you've been pushing money forward every year is very difficult. Especially when it isn't an elite QB. It doesn't make cap sense. QBs not named Mahomes with a 15-20% cap hit don't get to super bowls.

Flamma

Reaction score

GEaoxY0XkAAiHXb
Why do we never get an easy divisional opponent? Lions got to play the 9-8 Bucs for Gods sakes!! The last 7 times we were in the divisional round we would have stomped that Bucs team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
really so you're gonna want to pay prescott 75 million in dead cap over 2 years with him not here just to clear the books for 5-10 year stretch of truly bad records?? since when does the cap dictate what fans feels is best for the team. Daks best for this team the next 3 years ..redo it short term or not..NO Dak = the start of terrible stretch, hello Dave campo years. 12-15 bad qbs until we land one.,

by the way i hope you're happy with when Daks not here and you can have all these shiny toys you want, here come 6 wins maybe 8 =See NY Jets, Washington, and Giants, doesn't matter what you have elsewhere.

if Dak truly leaves,

IM trading away everyone lamb, parsons, and Diggs Tank and martin retired, gone , whatever than you keep Bland and Carson. Easy to project Huh?? how's Lance to Flournay sound.. get ready.
Trance to anyone sounds horrific.