My Thoughts New Coaching Staff

quickccc

Reaction score
I think my preference is:

HC: Urban Meyer

DC: Maybe a veteran NFL DC (Ron Rivera...).
Somebody that can run a Hybrid 4-3 & 3-4 would be great but it has to be fundamentally sound, not that mess Rob Ryan tried to run. The Pats run a hybrid but switch back and forth on their base over the years based on their roster and possibly on how offenses are trending. They changed their base 4-3 in the Super Bowl to counter the specifics of the Rams blocking scheme. They've gone back to more 3-4 this year on 1st downs and short yardage but other downs are a hybrid.

OC: Meyer's choice from the college ranks. If his preferred choices are not available I think Kellen Moore with an HC like Meyer can become a good OC. I'm near-100% certain that Moore will be a top OC someday, somewhere but he needed a better HC as a rookie OC.

OL Coach: An extremely critical hire unless the new OC (like Shannahan in SF) is a master of OL schemes (specifically the ZBS). Columbo is good at coaching individual technique but he played in a man blocking scheme and is now trying to coach the ZBS.

If a new Head Coach just takes over the existing coaching staff, then it will likely fail.

Its still early and I’d love to take closer looks at differences in the offenses and coaching works of Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, etc.

While it’s a shame on my part to bypass the defensive minded HC possibilities, the strongest feeling I continue to get is a hiring of a great offensive minded HC to continue
progress of Dak Prescott and rejuvenation of Zeke, the Cowboys two biggest cornerstone players on the team.

- My strongest preference is getting that innovative offensive mind that is strongly features similar pre-snap motion, various multi-formations, persistent pushing the ball downfield, vastly similar to offenses of Niners/Rams

- Also Meyer also has a history of experience with zeke Elliott where he has implemented zeke in several splash plays whether run or pass.
My hope is a return to more quick hitting hole runs to get zeke to the 2nd level much quicker than we are seeing nowadays.

- Columbo worked under ex-OL coach Pollack, so I’m amazed he has not preferred that zone blocking area.

- Plus the quick RB screens that used to be used often to spring zeke in many quick, open field long runs seems to get de-emphasized under Kellen Moore.

- We took way too long to finally start implementing Pollard more into the offense and on the field. That could have left a number of possible big plays off the field that could have decided
the outcome in the end, it was some games where he never received more than 3 touches.

- Should Meyer decide to keep Moore on as OC, I think Meyers could play a MUCH better hand in directing Kellen into a more effective play caller than what he was under Garrett.
Moore's greenness and lack of experience showed up in several games that cost us the winning outcome, imo. and if Garrett was a more competent game manager, he could have
played a bigger part in helping Moore's in-game adjustment.

- Plus should Meyers decide to step down per health or short lived HC role here., Moore could be more experienced and qualified prepared to take over down the road in a couple of so years.

quickccc

Reaction score
early possible DC candidates for " Urban Meyer " ?

- Dan Quinn
- Ron Rivera
-Gregg Williams
- Jack Del Rio
- Kris Richard
- Steve Wilks

note how these are 4-3 scheme oriented DCs

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i am so so sick of Jerry meddling

I have to say I always knew he was a Pain to work for but I felt his meddling was probably exaggerated until I watched All Or Nothing 2 seasons ago and saw the undermining as clear as day. Sickening.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HC....agree 1000%

OC.....No problem Meyers keeping Moore. In fact, It would not surprise me at all if Jerry makes retaining Kitna and Moore a condition of the new coach.
DC......I'm going outside the box and suggest Steve Belichick IF Bill gives approval that he's ready. What I like about this hire is he'll have his dad's ear EVERY NIGHT AND AFTER EVERY GAME.
OL......I'd bring Bill Callahan back....

Meyer will require control with regards to choosing his own assistants. I think he'll want to retain one or both but it will be his decision.

Yes! on Callahan assuming he is not retained by the Skins.

DC: With a college coach as HC I'm not sure about a 1st time D-Coordinator. With a Ron Rivera type DC, Meyer can just focus on the big picture and on the offense.

Sean McVay as a young Head Coach and offensive guru, hired Wade Phillips as DC. Meyer is not a young HC but he would be new to the NFL.

I would like the Steve Belichick as DC idea a lot if they hired a defensive Head Coach like Ron Rivera.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xwalker--- i honestly believe we need to clean house.....our defense playing as poorly as offense....even Marinelli said they are not hearing him anymore....that is code for i need to be fired....if i were any of the cowboy coaches i would resign my poition ....does not make anyone ( except Garrett ha ha ) a bad coach....just the way footbal goes...when it gets stale you move on

Dak has greatly improved this season despite the team results being worse. Moore/Kitna have been a good fit with Dak.

Moore does not have enough experience to really run the overall offense this season but he works well with Dak. Urban Meyer has developed a long list of young OCs into top coaches and many are now college Head Coaches.

Garrett has developed zero assistant coaches.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a new coach wants ANY of our coaches, I would't want em.
That is emotional short sided thinking.

People would have said that when Parcells replaced Campo but Parcells kept Mike Zimmer and he has proven to be a quality NFL coach.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
xwalker--- i honestly believe we need to clean house.....our defense playing as poorly as offense....even Marinelli said they are not hearing him anymore....that is code for i need to be fired....if i were any of the cowboy coaches i would resign my poition ....does not make anyone ( except Garrett ha ha ) a bad coach....just the way footbal goes...when it gets stale you move on

Yep..

Completely clean house please.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its still early and I’d love to take closer looks at differences in the offenses and coaching works of Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, etc.

While it’s a shame on my part to bypass the defensive minded HC possibilities, the strongest feeling I continue to get is a hiring of a great offensive minded HC to continue
progress of Dak Prescott and rejuvenation of Zeke, the Cowboys two biggest cornerstone players on the team.

- My strongest preference is getting that innovative offensive mind that is strongly features similar pre-snap motion, various multi-formations, persistent pushing the ball downfield, vastly similar to offenses of Niners/Rams

- Also Meyer also has a history of experience with zeke Elliott where he has implemented zeke in several splash plays whether run or pass.
My hope is a return to more quick hitting hole runs to get zeke to the 2nd level much quicker than we are seeing nowadays.

- Columbo worked under ex-OL coach Pollack, so I’m amazed he has not preferred that zone blocking area.

- Plus the quick RB screens that used to be used often to spring zeke in many quick, open field long runs seems to get de-emphasized under Kellen Moore.

- We took way too long to finally start implementing Pollard more into the offense and on the field. That could have left a number of possible big plays off the field that could have decided
the outcome in the end, it was some games where he never received more than 3 touches.

- Should Meyer decide to keep Moore on as OC, I think Meyers could play a MUCH better hand in directing Kellen into a more effective play caller than what he was under Garrett.
Moore's greenness and lack of experience showed up in several games that cost us the winning outcome, imo. and if Garrett was a more competent game manager, he could have
played a bigger part in helping Moore's in-game adjustment.

- Plus should Meyers decide to step down per health or short lived HC role here., Moore could be more experienced and qualified prepared to take over down the road in a couple of so years.
Agree.

Moore put some effort into trying to run screens with Pollard going back to the preseason but the execution has often not worked out. It requires precise timing between blockers, RB and QB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
early possible DC candidates for " Urban Meyer " ?

- Dan Quinn
- Ron Rivera
-Gregg Williams
- Jack Del Rio
- Kris Richard
- Steve Wilks

note how these are 4-3 scheme oriented DCs

Rivera and Gregg Williams have used both 4-3 and 3-4.

Quinn has used some unique fronts that had elements of both. Remember Bruce Irvin playing both LB and DE in Seattle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to say I always knew he was a Pain to work for but I felt his meddling was probably exaggerated until I watched All Or Nothing 2 seasons ago and saw the undermining as clear as day. Sickening.
The Jerry part of All or Nothing was staged.

Jerry does not attend weekly coaches meetings. He might attend a couple per season but not every day or every week. Many local media have explained that since the show aired.

Jerry likes to be on camera or in front of a microphone. Things are much different when the cameras are gone. Parcells commented about Jerry not really getting in the way of coaches and Jerry's time involved with football operations has drastically decreased since Parcells departed. Jerry World and Mini Jerry World as well as other business have dominated Jerry's time since Parcells was here.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That is emotional short sided thinking.

People would have said that when Parcells replaced Campo but Parcells kept Mike Zimmer and he has proven to be a quality NFL coach.
No not really - we see what's been happening with this specific set of coaches.

Wanna keep anyone on the D side of the ball? Cause to me that side has regressed on all 3 levels

The O side maybe the TE coach or Sanjay - the rest could go bye bye along with the ST coach O'quinn.

Doomsay

Reaction score
LOL perpetual apologists and enablers starting threads to cover past complicity.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No not really - we see what's been happening with this specific set of coaches.

Wanna keep anyone on the D side of the ball? Cause to me that side has regressed on all 3 levels

The O side maybe the TE coach or Sanjay - the rest could go bye bye along with the ST coach O'quinn.

The issue is that who stays or goes is up to the new HC. As long as it's his choice then keeping a couple of coaches is OK.

New Head Coaches can't always get the assistants they want in year 1.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The issue is that who stays or goes is up to the new HC. As long as it's his choice then keeping a couple of coaches is OK.

New Head Coaches can't always get the assistants they want in year 1.
Bold - I agree but if I'm GM and he tells me that he wants to keep Marinade, Richards, Moore and or O'Quinn - then I'm gonna question his judgement.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bold - I agree but if I'm GM and he tells me that he wants to keep Marinade, Richards, Moore and or O'Quinn - then I'm gonna question his judgement.
They won't hire a HC that wants to keep Marinelli.

Kellen Moore is the most likely coach to be retained along with the WR coach. Kitna might stay.

Again, some of the lower profile assistants will depend on if the new HC can get who he really wants or if those coaches choose to stay where they are now or get hired elsewhere (i.e. A college O-Coordinator gets a Head Coaching job).

The primary issue is to get rid of Garrett and Marinelli.