CFZ My thoughts on Mazi Smith

nathanlt

Reaction score
I want players who impact the pass game. Lots of guys available who can do that.

A run stuffer? Blah..
A run stuffer causes the offense to rely on the pass a little too much, forcing the ball at times. The two phases of defense complement each other.
Aside from that, any defensive player that draws the attention of 2 OL will allow for an LB to blitz the passer as well. Complementary!

ESisback

Reaction score
Just on Will McClay alone—I like the pick. But Greg Cossell is big on Smith too. Says he’s as good as Carter. But of course the media (and a few Dallas “fans”) says Philly’s brilliant and the Cowboys are incompetent fools who don’t care about winning.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Love the pick ....... its the opposite of what we have been doing during this 27 year drought.

10 years ago we would have gotten a WR and everyone would have been so excited ...... until we got to the playoffs with teams running down our throat and our QB throws an int at the end of the game trying to play catch up.

This is the positions winning football teams invest in ........ QB, OL, DL

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys already have the edge rushers. The issues have been getting teams behind the chains so they have a chance to rush and the corner opposite Diggs being an easy target. Hopefully Mazi Smith takes care of the first issue and Gilmore should fix the second.

Carson

Reaction score
Cowboys already have the edge rushers. The issues have been getting teams behind the chains so they have a chance to rush and the corner opposite Diggs being an easy target. Hopefully Mazi Smith takes care of the first issue and Gilmore should fix the second.
Pretty much all QBs had to take 1-2 steps into a clean pocket and make a pass. Mazi changes that

ESisback

Reaction score
If you wanted a run stuffing Nose Tackle you shouldn’t have any problems with the pick considering his size and his off the chart athleticism.

I personally would never take such a devalued position like this with a premium pick but hey if the Cowboys think this will help us not get sent home early when Dak starts to Dak then by all means I’m for it.
Will McClay and Dan Quinn obviously thought it was a good pick. I’ll follow them before armchair GM’s—no offense.

Also, respected analyst Greg Cosell is high on him, and we needed a good run stuffer to help the pass rush!

mcmvp

Reaction score
Solid player, but more of a 2nd rounder - not that big of a reach late in the 1st

Kwyn

Reaction score
We just need to all realize that there are posters here who would complain if on day one the cowboys had five of the top ten picks yesterday and then traded Cooper Rush for Pat Mahomes.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Solid player, but more of a 2nd rounder - not that big of a reach late in the 1st
Agreed.

That being said, a consensus big board of over a thousand legit mock drafts had him at 35.

In that same consensus big board there were 6 players ranked above him that are still undeadted that are playing positions we (me) either don’t need or didn’t want in the first round (QB, TE, S)

Puts him at 29 which is right in our wheelhouse.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You lost me at Clown Show...again....

What will be Mazi's jersey number?
That is about as relevant as trying to deny reality that we have been run by a clown show. 27 years of NOTHING state it very plainly.
But the company men here never will admit it

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you wanted a run stuffing Nose Tackle you shouldn’t have any problems with the pick considering his size and his off the chart athleticism.

I personally would never take such a devalued position like this with a premium pick but hey if the Cowboys think this will help us not get sent home early when Dak starts to Dak then by all means I’m for it.
Yeah, well they’ve proven to know much more than you do that’s for sure.

ghst187

Reaction score
Watch the TCU game and show me the beast. Avila and others ate him up.
1000% this.
The guys I wanted were gone but I’m perplexed how Porter Jr is still on the board. I would’ve trade down or taken Porter. I don’t see how Mazi is any different from any of the other fatties in this draft who will be take rounds later.

zerofill

Reaction score
Well... watching the press conference today with him, he seems like a cool kid. He looks like a frigging monster body wise. Let's hope he excels, and doesn't get any bad Cowboy culture issues.
I hope he maintains drive. He said he was wanting to be in Dallas.