My thoughts/opinions about last night's Super Bowl

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Biggest takeaway for me, isn't the greatness of Mahomes which we all know by now, but rather the 49ers lost the game due to special teams. Gave up a easy TD after a muffed punt and had a critical extra punt blocked. Those 8 points were critical to the 49ers coming up short.
-49ers just couldn't drop the hammer. Their last drive before overtime, they had a critical 3rd and 4, in which they get the 1st down and the eventual touchdown, could of bled the clock and forced the Chiefs needing a TD to tie. They also were in a similar situation in OT, but had to settle for a FG.
-No issues with taking the football at the start of overtime as their defense was just on the field for a long drive that forced overtime.
-Have no idea why the 49ers HC went away from their dominate run game. They couldn't stop it for the majority of the game. There were many weaknesses with the Chief defense throughout their run, but did struggle against Buffalo on the ground as well.
-Think many have to start to give Purdy some credit, he is a quality QB that responded each time that had to have a score.

If any Cowboys pushed their HC, the entire media will be calling for a suspension. Never seen this ever before and it shouldn't be tolerated.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If any Cowboys pushed their HC, the entire media will be calling for a suspension. Never seen this ever before and it shouldn't be tolerated.
If any Cowboys pushed their HC and then the team won the SB anyway, no one would care. Besides, that's for the team to administer .... after you're done celebrating a championship that all the other teams wanted but didn't get. Non-issue.

Aven8

Reaction score
Balty did the same thing in the AFC Championship game. They were the #1 team in football at running the ball and they went away from what they do best. It’s the Mahomes factor IMO.

Also every time SF was in those 3rd situations Spags blitzed giving Purdy no time to get a good pass off. Brilliant by him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If any Cowboys pushed their HC and then the team won the SB anyway, no one would care. Besides, that's for the team to administer .... after you're done celebrating a championship that all the other teams wanted but didn't get. Non-issue.
You cannot put your hands on your boss, period! Any player who does that to a ref, instant ejection.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Balty did the same thing in the AFC Championship game. They were the #1 team in football at running the ball and they went away from what they do best. It’s the Mahomes factor IMO.

Also every time SF was in those 3rd situations Spags blitzed giving Purdy no time to get a good pass off. Brilliant by him.
SFO knew the blitz was coming, should of had adjustments built into their game plan.

You are right, these teams think they have to go score for score, rather then just keep them on the sidelines.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thoughts from last night are, we just watched KC go into Buffalo and win a game in which they were underdogs and most thought they would lose. Then go to into Baltimore and beat the #1 seed in a game they were underdogs. Then beat the #1 seed 49ers in a game they were underdogs.

The blueprint is in Kansas City on how to win super bowls having done that 3 out of the last 4 years. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to stop screwing around and study and figure out how the Chiefs are doing it and do their best to duplicate it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You cannot put your hands on your boss, period! Any player who does that to a ref, instant ejection.
Like I said, the team takes care of that, not the NFL. And after celebrating, they're not going to do anything. The two of them might even make a commercial poking fun at it.

visionary

Reaction score
My thoughts from last night are, we just watched KC go into Buffalo and win a game in which they were underdogs and most thought they would lose. Then go to into Baltimore and beat the #1 seed in a game they were underdogs. Then beat the #1 seed 49ers in a game they were underdogs.

The blueprint is in Kansas City on how to win super bowls having done that 3 out of the last 4 years. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to stop screwing around and study and figure out how the Chiefs are doing it and do their best to duplicate it.
Get the best HC and the best QB?

Thats tough to do

Creeper

Reaction score
I have a few thoughts. First, it is surprising to me how durable CMC has been since he was traded to SF. He runs hard and was banged around last night. He managed to play the entire game without injury and really the entire season for the most part. I think the momentum gained from by his entire team when he runs hard like that is underestimated.

I was impressed with the KC defense. They really stepped up at a few key points in the game to stop SF drives. They do not win the SB is not for those stops, despite having Mahomes at QB

Both teams put it into another gear last night. That is the difference between good teams and winning teams.

visionary

Reaction score
1. The teams were not “tired”

2. Both teams “expected to” and played to win

3. Both teams were extremely physical

4. With GM glamor, HC cream puff, QB choke job, and tired leaders, we have no shot next year

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
SFO knew the blitz was coming, should of had adjustments built into their game plan.

You are right, these teams think they have to go score for score, rather then just keep them on the sidelines.
but they went away from the run with a 10 pt lead.
Baffling.
Does that Shanahan tree really have a good tap root?

Flamma

Reaction score

We can't duplicate their blueprint. Blueprints for teams with QBs like Mahomes, Brady, Peyton Manning are different. We can't duplicate their QB. We're better off looking at teams like the 49ers.

1942willys

Reaction score
We can't duplicate their blueprint. Blueprints for teams with QBs like Mahomes, Brady, Peyton Manning are different. We can't duplicate their QB. We're better off looking at teams like the 49ers.
I would put Brady and Mahomes in their own separate category; and to be blunt now I have to put Mahomes first because of how he does impossible things in crunch time

csirl

Reaction score
QBs still win SBs.

I though the SF clock management was poor in the final 2 minutes - left 40s on the clock at one stage, which turned out to be the difference.

Lesson for the SF punt returner. Dont chase a mishap by trying to be a hero. It was a live ball that can be recovered, so he should have dived on it to secure possession rather than thinking about scooping it up.and returning it.