My thoughts/opinions about last night's Super Bowl

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I was surprised by how mediocre the SF run game was. CmC only averaged 3.6 ypc and had a long of 11 yards. I thought Purdy all in all played extremely well in that situation against a really beastly defense. I thought both teams played extremely tough football and the refs were not too egregiously involved which was nice. Just a few bounces separated them. If there is one real thing that SF could change I think they should have been more bold on 4th down calls deep in Chiefs territory. You just know Mahomes is gonna win that game if you give him the chance to.

RS12

Reaction score
If you arent great at QB and HC, add FO, you arent going far in the post season as a general rule. Once in a while there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. That was a pretty good KC team with a great QB and HC, who made the others feel and believe they could overcome.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
QBs still win SBs.

I though the SF clock management was poor in the final 2 minutes - left 40s on the clock at one stage, which turned out to be the difference.

Lesson for the SF punt returner. Dont chase a mishap by trying to be a hero. It was a live ball that can be recovered, so he should have dived on it to secure possession rather than thinking about scooping it up.and returning it.
Teams win superbowls.
There were a lot of people on that team that gave KC an opportunity to win.
They are just a damn good team, starting from the top.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
If you arent great at QB and HC, add FO, you arent going far in the post season as a general rule. Once in a while there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. That was a pretty good KC team with a great QB and HC, who made the others feel and believe they could overcome.
they put up a damn good defensive performance as well.
Without that, they lose. The O only put up 16 till 6 seconds left in the game.

RS12

Reaction score
they put up a damn good defensive performance as well.
Without that, they lose. The O only put up 16 till 6 seconds left in the game.
Yeah, having a beast like Chris Jones in the middle of your D Line helps close games. Just like Aaron Donald 2 years ago.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I would put Brady and Mahomes in their own separate category; and to be blunt now I have to put Mahomes first because of how he does impossible things in crunch time
He's the best all around QB the league has ever seen. He does everything at a high level and has both the mental & physical abilities to do things that 99.9% of the elite can't do.

No disrespect to Brady. He still deserves every accolade and admiration he has earned but he's limited by being human. Mahomes is like Barry Sanders in his ability to twist & contort (and still be pinpoint accurate) like no one we have ever seen. Not sure he's human.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
QBs still win SBs.
This is usually true. In the Super-Bowl, bet on the team with the elite QB, and you'll win more often than you lose.

Sure, it's a team game. Both teams had stellar defenses. The formula is a championship caliber defense combined with a top tier QB.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Shanahan and his ego wanted to make Purdy the hero when in reality, he should've ridden CMC until he couldn't go anymore. Purdy is a bus driver who needed to not mess things up. Feature CMC in the run/pass game and everyone else gets leftovers. That is the formula.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Gotta beat the champs to become the champs. I called it before the game that Mahomes would be the x-factor. (No, I didn't call it online. It was in conversations with friends. I didn't have a dog in the fight. I just believed Mahomes would be the difference.)

shabazz

Reaction score
Shanahan and his ego wanted to make Purdy the hero when in reality, he should've ridden CMC until he couldn't go anymore. Purdy is a bus driver who needed to not mess things up. Feature CMC in the run/pass game and everyone else gets leftovers. That is the formula.
And surprisingly the Ravens did the same exact thing against the Chiefs by only using their RBs 6 times in the whole game.

The best teams don't abandon their strength because it doesn't immediately pay dividends.

75boyz

Reaction score
It really is as simple as this.
I've been saying it over and over.

ALL the other personnel, coach and roster construction Cowboys Zone posts are a result of how good or poorly the General Manager, Head Coach and QB do their job.

Jerry sucks at roster construction.

McCheese and Sleepnumber suck worse at their jobs of playoff football.

They don't get free passes because Jerry hired them.

I've lost count on the number of times Ive sounded this broken record.

CWR

Reaction score
-Biggest takeaway for me, isn't the greatness of Mahomes which we all know by now, but rather the 49ers lost the game due to special teams. Gave up a easy TD after a muffed punt and had a critical extra punt blocked. Those 8 points were critical to the 49ers coming up short.
-49ers just couldn't drop the hammer. Their last drive before overtime, they had a critical 3rd and 4, in which they get the 1st down and the eventual touchdown, could of bled the clock and forced the Chiefs needing a TD to tie. They also were in a similar situation in OT, but had to settle for a FG.
-No issues with taking the football at the start of overtime as their defense was just on the field for a long drive that forced overtime.
-Have no idea why the 49ers HC went away from their dominate run game. They couldn't stop it for the majority of the game. There were many weaknesses with the Chief defense throughout their run, but did struggle against Buffalo on the ground as well.
-Think many have to start to give Purdy some credit, he is a quality QB that responded each time that had to have a score.

If any Cowboys pushed their HC, the entire media will be calling for a suspension. Never seen this ever before and it shouldn't be tolerated.
Purdy has delivered now for 2 seasons. You can't dismiss that. Of course he's in a great system with a dominant run game and defense. That shouldn't be a shot against him. He wouldn't be nearly as good in Tennessee or somewhere else, but he'd still be a solid qb imo.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My thoughts from last night are, we just watched KC go into Buffalo and win a game in which they were underdogs and most thought they would lose. Then go to into Baltimore and beat the #1 seed in a game they were underdogs. Then beat the #1 seed 49ers in a game they were underdogs.

The blueprint is in Kansas City on how to win super bowls having done that 3 out of the last 4 years. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to stop screwing around and study and figure out how the Chiefs are doing it and do their best to duplicate it.
They won those games because of their QB. You put our QB on that same team and they don't win anything. It is a young man's game and our QB is getting older by the minute, plus he is just not that good anyway.

J_Allen

Reaction score
My thoughts from last night are, we just watched KC go into Buffalo and win a game in which they were underdogs and most thought they would lose. Then go to into Baltimore and beat the #1 seed in a game they were underdogs. Then beat the #1 seed 49ers in a game they were underdogs.

The blueprint is in Kansas City on how to win super bowls having done that 3 out of the last 4 years. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to stop screwing around and study and figure out how the Chiefs are doing it and do their best to duplicate it.
We'll do that whenever the day comes that we don't like our guys, but right now we like our guys.