My thoughts. work before FA starts

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dallas will have a total cap with rollover of 199.8mil
Top 51 contracts 145.3mil
Cap room of 54.5mil

Before anything is done with the team, i think they need to get their coaching situation situated.

As my guy @Hawkeye0202 tried to take my named coach in another thread ill post on this.
Aaron Kromer is a guy who does what they want to do really good. He's a extremely good OL coach, and knows how to run the football. He does this with movement within the OL. Pulling, out and handing off blockers to get the 2nd level. For me this would be a no brainer. He's had playcalling experience as a OC too. And he's not affraid to throw his QB under the bus if he makes stupid plays. As he did this to Jay Cutler in 2016 after the Cowboys beat them. Think this team was impressed with the way the Rams lit this defense up with the run game.

The alternative is staying with Linehan. And i think this is the 2nd option. I really think this team has a guy on one of the styaffs of the 4 teams remaining, and are waiting until that team is eliminated or wins the superbowl to interview and offer the job. If he doesnt accept or in speaking to him he is staying with said team they roll with Linehan. Which would be very depressing.

So those are my thoughts on the OC. I think they have a guy they want, but if its a no go they will stick with Linehan.

Subtractions
Dallas is going to get rid of some players and no resign some as Jerry has already said this.
Sean Lee, his time in DAL has ran its course and they've moved on. 7mil
Terrance Williams, He will be one. 2.25mil
Allen Hurns, not really a good fit. 5mil
So if these moves are made DAL will gain another 14.25mil on the cap
New cap:68.75mil

Demarcus Lawrence is going to be a Cowboy, but for how much is the question. He had another huge yr. I dont want to hear how he disappeared in games. No he didnt teams just started getting rid of the ball quicker. Lawrence was a monster on pressure with QB hurries and hits. He was a beast against the run too. He's looking for a 5 yr deal.
5yrs 85mil 40mil Guranteed 25mil signing bonus
Yr1 5mil base(guranteed) 5mil sb. 10mil caphit
Remaining cap 58.75mil

LP Ladouceur this guy is never going to retire.
1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Dak Prescott Jones has said Dak is the guy they want and are going to give an extension to. Dak has said he would take less to keep the core and that allows the team to bring in players.
6yrs 114mil 55mil guranteed 30milSB
YR1 8mil(guranteed) 6milSB 14mil caphit
Remaining cap 43.75mil

Ezekiel Elliot i wouldnt go this route yet but this is what Jerrys doing.
5yrs 62mil 45mil Guaranteed 20milSB
YR1 3.85mil Guranteed 9.087mil SB 12.937mil caphit
Remaining cap 30.813mil

Byron Jones got exposed late in the yr. Jones is on his 5th yr option so he will count 6.22mil on the cap. that total will be added to the extension and come off as guranteed money as the remaning yrs of dak and elliot will. So it actually works for DAL to extend them early.
5yrs 58mil 22.22mil Guranteed 16mil SB
YR1 6.22mil Guranteed 3.25mil. 9.47mil caphit
Remaining cap 21.34mil

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
How realistic is the contract you propose for Zeke in light of what Gurley got? (I’d prefer we ride out the remaining two years of his rookie deal and use the franchise tag for one or two additional years rather than extend him anyway.)

The rest looks reasonable to me, though I think you may have overstated Dak’s year 1 cap hit. I think it should be $13M, including only $5M of prorated signing bonus according to your numbers.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If we resign our own guys that aren’t up until next year wouldn’t we gain cap space this year ? I’m not sure how the money works in that scenario

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Cooper. Extend or resign him.

Yeah they’ll extend Cooper for sure. You don’t give up a first for one and a half years of service. And he’s obviously earned it. Frankly, the only thing that looks wrong with the trade at this point is that they didn’t extend him right away.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah they’ll extend Cooper for sure. You don’t give up a first for one and a half years of service. And he’s obviously earned it. Frankly, the only thing that looks wrong with the trade at this point is that they didn’t extend him right away.
Should have redid his contract upon arrival.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As my guy @Hawkeye0202 tried to take my named coach in another thread ill post on this.
Aaron Kromer is a guy who does what they want to do really good. He's an extremely good OL coach and knows how to run the football. He does this with movement within the OL. Pulling, out and handing off blockers to get the 2nd level. For me, this would be a no brainer. He's had playcalling experience as an OC too. And he's not afraid to throw his QB under the bus if he makes stupid plays. As he did this to Jay Cutler in 2016 after the Cowboys beat them. Think this team was impressed with the way the Rams lit this defense up with the run game.

The alternative is staying with Linehan. And I think this is the 2nd option. I really think this team has a guy on one of the staffs of the 4 teams remaining, and are waiting until that team is eliminated or wins the Superbowl to interview and offer the job. If he doesn't accept or in speaking to him he is staying with a said team they roll with Linehan. Which would be very depressing.

So those are my thoughts on the OC. I think they have a guy they want, but if its a no go they will stick with Linehan.

You said it way better than I could...... a couple other intriguing things about a Kromer hire. Perhaps we restructure the offensive coach staff with running and passing game coordinators with Colombo as OL coach/running game coor ( coincidence he's first and only offense coach they've released a statement of returning for 2019). Also doesn't hurt he could bring concepts from both Payton and McVay playbook.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Cap room of 54.5mil

Before anything is done with the team, i think they need to get their coaching situation situated.

Aaron Kromer is a guy who does what they want to do really good. He's a extremely good OL coach, and knows how to run the football. He does this with movement within the OL. Pulling, out and handing off blockers to get the 2nd level. For me this would be a no brainer. He's had playcalling experience as a OC too. And he's not affraid to throw his QB under the bus if he makes stupid plays. As he did this to Jay Cutler in 2016 after the Cowboys beat them. Think this team was impressed with the way the Rams lit this defense up with the run game.

The alternative is staying with Linehan. And i think this is the 2nd option. I really think this team has a guy on one of the styaffs of the 4 teams remaining, and are waiting until that team is eliminated or wins the superbowl to interview and offer the job. If he doesnt accept or in speaking to him he is staying with said team they roll with Linehan. Which would be very depressing.

Subtractions
Dallas is going to get rid of some players and no resign some as Jerry has already said this.

Demarcus Lawrence is going to be a Cowboy, but for how much is the question. He had another huge yr. I dont want to hear how he disappeared in games. No he didnt teams just started getting rid of the ball quicker. Lawrence was a monster on pressure with QB hurries and hits. He was a beast against the run too. He's looking for a 5 yr deal.
Remaining cap 58.75mil

1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Dak Prescott Jones has said Dak is the guy they want and are going to give an extension to. Dak has said he would take less to keep the core and that allows the team to bring in players.
Remaining cap 43.75mil

Remaining cap 30.813mil

Byron Jones got exposed late in the yr. Jones is on his 5th yr option so he will count 6.22mil on the cap. that total will be added to the extension and come off as guranteed money as the remaning yrs of dak and elliot will. So it actually works for DAL to extend them early.
Remaining cap 21.34mil

Nice summary. Taking a hard look at the OC after the playoffs is top priority. Not even going to say that 2018 is Linehans last year here. Nor Marinelli's. I would throw QB coach in there with a long look at Moore and who is out there as QB coach. There is no hurry to make changes. Yes some OC have been hired already, yes many were released from previous team for a reason. If it were me, and it isn't, I'd look at an up and coming young assistant coach over some dude that has been cut by a previous team. One that is showing promise versus one stuck on a certain system and unwilling to change. One that can work with the coaches already on the team. That may best be served with sticking with Linehan. I'm not on the dump this coach and expect hugely different results because of a coaching change. If we change OC/DC we change and march on. If we don't, we don't. I'm all for evaluating who's out there and who we currently have

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but I'd tag DLaw again and focus on getting Zeke sign asap coz his effective position life is another what, 5-6 years? If I'm Dak's agent, I'm using the tag as the floor for his value coz that's what it's going to take to keep me from walking.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
How realistic is the contract you propose for Zeke in light of what Gurley got? (I’d prefer we ride out the remaining two years of his rookie deal and use the franchise tag for one or two additional years rather than extend him anyway.)

The rest looks reasonable to me, though I think you may have overstated Dak’s year 1 cap hit. I think it should be $13M, including only $5M of prorated signing bonus according to your numbers.
Elliot would get 5mil more than what Gurley got. I know my numbers on deals are probably completely off but im just trying to give a view of what might happen to the cap. and just because Gurley got this big deal his cap hit was only 7mil this yr because he still had this yr left from his rookie deal so his 900k salary was guaranteed and the prorated sb was added to this yr because he got it at signing. so basically gurleys deal comes out as a 4 yr deal because that last yr theres no sb to account for so they can walk away in 4 yrs. same will be the case with elliot.

rags747

Reaction score
Cap room of 54.5mil

Subtractions

Remaining cap 58.75mil

1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Remaining cap 43.75mil

Remaining cap 30.813mil

Remaining cap 21.34mil
You will never get Dak for 6yrs $114m, aint happening. The more realistic # is 6 yrs $150m...Maybe!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Cooper. Extend or resign him.
IM going to add cooper on my next one. I have to read up on this option yr. The logical thing would be to rip up that 5th yr option and work out a extention. But i dont know if thats allowed. If somebody knows fill me in. Because i do know it doesnt go into effect into the first day of the league yr. Because if dallas cant work something out with him before the yr starts, cooper would be close to a 20mil cap hit with a extention on this 5th yr option because any sb would give a pro rated sb hit at time of signing.

rags747

Reaction score
As someone else said, next year same squad BUT more expensive with same results.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You will never get Dak for 6yrs $114m, aint happening. The more realistic # is 6 yrs $150m...Maybe!
Go lay down, Aaron Rodgers deal is only 134mil. Nobody is topping that. Maybe just maybe Mahomes in a couple yr. But Dak wont come close to that.

rags747

Reaction score
Go lay down, Aaron Rodgers deal is only 134mil. Nobody is topping that. Maybe just maybe Mahomes in a couple yr. But Dak wont come close to that.
You don't see Dak getting $25m per year?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You don't see Dak getting $25m per year?
no, dallas will give him a deal thats teams friendly backend loaded while giving him plenty of money in the first couple yrs. and restructure and extend him in say 4 or 5 to lower the cap hits. same thing they did with romo.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Cap room of 54.5mil

Subtractions

Remaining cap 58.75mil

1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Remaining cap 43.75mil

Remaining cap 30.813mil

Remaining cap 21.34mil
I think they’ll keep Lee at a reduced salary if he still wants to play. I hope they keep Hurns. I think he’s an awesome fit and was making an impact before he got hurt. I don’t think Jones got exposed at all. He just had some awesome throws/catches made against him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cap room of 54.5mil

Subtractions

Remaining cap 58.75mil

1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Remaining cap 43.75mil

Remaining cap 30.813mil

Remaining cap 21.34mil

Kromer is a terrific coach but I'm skeptical that he'll be a head coach in the near future. In Dallas he would be under as much scrutiny as the OC as the HC in some cities.

Kromer was hired by the New Orleans Saints in 2008 as the running backs coach, before becoming the offensive line coach the following season. Under his tenure as OL coach, the Saints sent five players to a combined nine Pro Bowls, and tied for the fewest sacks in the league with 96. Under Kromer, the Saints line twice won the Madden Most Valuable Protectors Award as the best offensive line in the league (in 2009 and 2011). The Saints won Super Bowl XLIV with Kromer. He filled in as the Saints' interim head coach for the first six games of the 2012 NFL season as Joe Vitt and Sean Payton served their suspensions for "BountyGate". The Saints went 2-4 during that season-opening stretch, losing each of their first four games by eight points or less.

On January 16, 2013, Kromer was announced as the new offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the Chicago Bears. He joined Marc Trestman's initial coaching staff, after working with Trestman in Oakland. In his first year, the Bears offense had the second-best scoring offense in the league with 445 points, behind the Denver Broncos, while finishing fifth with 4281 passing yards. The offense also broke team records in total yards (6,109), passing yards (4,450), passing touchdowns (32) and first downs (344).[6] On February 12, 2014, offensive line assistant Pat Meyer was named offensive line coach while Kromer, who served as offensive coordinator and line coach in 2013, remained the offensive coordinator and continued to be involved in all aspects of the offense, including the line with an increased role with the passing game.

On January 17, 2015, the Buffalo Bills reached a two-year deal with Kromer to be the team's new offensive line coach. He was later suspended for 6 games by the Buffalo Bills after punching a child in the face, throwing his fishing pole in the lake, then threatening to kill his entire family.

On January 30, 2018, Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay promoted him to run game coordinator, after Matt LaFleur left to become the offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans. In order to help fill the void, McVay also named tight ends coach Shane Waldron the pass game coordinator.