My thoughts. work before FA starts

rags747

Reaction score
no, dallas will give him a deal thats teams friendly backend loaded while giving him plenty of money in the first couple yrs. and restructure and extend him in say 4 or 5 to lower the cap hits. same thing they did with romo.
Ok, let’s revisit this summer and see who buys who beers...

tm1119

Reaction score
Go lay down, Aaron Rodgers deal is only 134mil. Nobody is topping that. Maybe just maybe Mahomes in a couple yr. But Dak wont come close to

Alex Smith just got $70+M guaranteed and Cousins got $80+M. I’m not even a Dak fan and I think $55M guaranteed is way too low. I can see it ending up 5 for 120 with 70 guaranteed...which would not make me feel particularly great.

The Zeke contract also has 1 year too many. I see you matched up the guaranteed $, but why is Zeke giving the Cowboys an extra year? Gurley got 4 years 60, Zeke isn’t signing for 5 years 62.

And as others have said, they will likely extend Coop as well. But we can actually save $ next year by extending him

Verdict

Reaction score
I think they’ll keep Lee at a reduced salary if he still wants to play. I hope they keep Hurns. I think he’s an awesome fit and was making an impact before he got hurt. I don’t think Jones got exposed at all. He just had some awesome throws/catches made against him.

I think they will want to keep Jones. The question is what will he cost and what would the dropoff be is we played Lewis is played in his spot.

JBS

Reaction score
no, dallas will give him a deal thats teams friendly backend loaded while giving him plenty of money in the first couple yrs. and restructure and extend him in say 4 or 5 to lower the cap hits. same thing they did with romo.

There is no way dak signs for an aav of $19m..it's not realistic

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How realistic is the contract you propose for Zeke in light of what Gurley got? (I’d prefer we ride out the remaining two years of his rookie deal and use the franchise tag for one or two additional years rather than extend him anyway.)

The rest looks reasonable to me, though I think you may have overstated Dak’s year 1 cap hit. I think it should be $13M, including only $5M of prorated signing bonus according to your numbers.

Every one of those deals is well below what the player will be demanding. Every one is a huge step down from the going rate at the position. It's a pipe dream.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am going to guess, he give LP a 5yr $7.5mill deal.
HUH????? LP is 37 right now so sign him until he is 42 or 43 it will be a small SB but why throw away money. 2 years top and start looking for a replacement preferably a guy you draft that is lineman of some sort.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you aren't familiar with how many dysfunctional franchises there are in this league

And Dak with his talents will go there and reverse there fates?
Are your serious?

JBS

Reaction score
And Dak with his talents will go there and reverse there fates?
Are your serious?

What on earth are you talking about..you asked who would pay him more..they're out there..so you lost this argument..don't try and create a new one now

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What on earth are you talking about..you asked who would pay him more..they're out there..so you lost this argument..don't try and create a new one now

A lot is out there....name me teams that would give Dak a 25 million a year contract this off-season with the exception of used car salesman Jerry?

Team Names please.....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Demarcus Lawrence
is going to be a Cowboy, but for how much is the question. He had another huge yr. I dont want to hear how he disappeared in games.

You may not want to hear it, but it is the truth.

Outside of a 3 game streak at the beginning of 2017, after a horrible season where Lawrence did nothing, he has been good but not huge. Once teams realized he could play, he's been good. No more.

And he has, whether you want to hear it or not, faded in the back half of the last two seasons, getting only 4 sacks per 8 games. And 0 sacks in two playoff games.

Two seasons with back issues. Last two seasons playing with a torn labrum. Fades in the back half of seasons. Way too many red flags for me to want to give him a big time long term contract. This is going to be a long term underperforming contract. Better to let him go and get the comp pick out of him.

To me, this year was the test whether he could last a season and not fade. 4 sacks in the last *10* games. He faded. Pass.

To be fair, it's really the last 9 games. Barely played against the Giants. But that doesn't change the evaluation. If anything, it makes coming up empty in the playoffs worse.

JBS

Reaction score
A lot is out there....name me teams that would give Dak a 25 million a year contract this off-season with the exception of used car salesman Jerry?

Team Names please.....

25? Who said 25? There are several millions between 19 and 25

Jags?
Bengals?
Dolphins?

There's already 3 more than you thought..those teams have already proven they're prepared to overpay for qbs..you lost bro..give up

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just me but I'd tag DLaw again and focus on getting Zeke sign asap coz his effective position life is another what, 5-6 years? If I'm Dak's agent, I'm using the tag as the floor for his value coz that's what it's going to take to keep me from walking.

The fact is but he's currently under contract next year for <1mil.

We should offer QB franchise value plus a mil or two total over *two* years, half up front, all guaranteed.

Dak avoids injury risk on his first chunk of change, we avoid Dak holding out and get him another year a the franchise price. Fair to both and a win-win.

There is no way we should be paying Dak full free agent price for a year he is under contract for 1mil.

Reaction score
Nice work! I would say that Dak’s caphit will be lower because they will add the extension onto his current and same with Zeke. From what I’ve seen most of these deals still utilize the lower cap hit in the first year, of course they could front load the contract because the space they have. Amari is definitely getting a deal as well. They have plenty of space to get all these deals done and add ET, regardless of what they’ve said about $ in free agency. They have a team that is young and can take the next step, they should do everything to put the best squad on the field and ET makes them better.
Dallas will have a total cap with rollover of 199.8mil
Top 51 contracts 145.3mil
Cap room of 54.5mil

Before anything is done with the team, i think they need to get their coaching situation situated.

As my guy @Hawkeye0202 tried to take my named coach in another thread ill post on this.
Aaron Kromer is a guy who does what they want to do really good. He's a extremely good OL coach, and knows how to run the football. He does this with movement within the OL. Pulling, out and handing off blockers to get the 2nd level. For me this would be a no brainer. He's had playcalling experience as a OC too. And he's not affraid to throw his QB under the bus if he makes stupid plays. As he did this to Jay Cutler in 2016 after the Cowboys beat them. Think this team was impressed with the way the Rams lit this defense up with the run game.

The alternative is staying with Linehan. And i think this is the 2nd option. I really think this team has a guy on one of the styaffs of the 4 teams remaining, and are waiting until that team is eliminated or wins the superbowl to interview and offer the job. If he doesnt accept or in speaking to him he is staying with said team they roll with Linehan. Which would be very depressing.

So those are my thoughts on the OC. I think they have a guy they want, but if its a no go they will stick with Linehan.

Subtractions
Dallas is going to get rid of some players and no resign some as Jerry has already said this.
Sean Lee, his time in DAL has ran its course and they've moved on. 7mil
Terrance Williams, He will be one. 2.25mil
Allen Hurns, not really a good fit. 5mil
So if these moves are made DAL will gain another 14.25mil on the cap
New cap:68.75mil

Demarcus Lawrence is going to be a Cowboy, but for how much is the question. He had another huge yr. I dont want to hear how he disappeared in games. No he didnt teams just started getting rid of the ball quicker. Lawrence was a monster on pressure with QB hurries and hits. He was a beast against the run too. He's looking for a 5 yr deal.
5yrs 85mil 40mil Guranteed 25mil signing bonus
Yr1 5mil base(guranteed) 5mil sb. 10mil caphit
Remaining cap 58.75mil

LP Ladouceur this guy is never going to retire.
1yr 1mil 100kSB
Remaining cap 57.75mil

Dak Prescott Jones has said Dak is the guy they want and are going to give an extension to. Dak has said he would take less to keep the core and that allows the team to bring in players.
6yrs 114mil 55mil guranteed 30milSB
YR1 8mil(guranteed) 6milSB 14mil caphit
Remaining cap 43.75mil

Ezekiel Elliot i wouldnt go this route yet but this is what Jerrys doing.
5yrs 62mil 45mil Guaranteed 20milSB
YR1 3.85mil Guranteed 9.087mil SB 12.937mil caphit
Remaining cap 30.813mil

Byron Jones got exposed late in the yr. Jones is on his 5th yr option so he will count 6.22mil on the cap. that total will be added to the extension and come off as guranteed money as the remaning yrs of dak and elliot will. So it actually works for DAL to extend them early.
5yrs 58mil 22.22mil Guranteed 16mil SB
YR1 6.22mil Guranteed 3.25mil. 9.47mil caphit
Remaining cap 21.34mil

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
25? Who said 25? There are several millions between 19 and 25

Jags?
Bengals?
Dolphins?

There's already 3 more than you thought..those teams have already proven they're prepared to overpay for qbs..you lost bro..give up

I think there's a big team that you're forgetting - Denver.

They had strong interest in Dak prior to selecting Lynch in that draft, obviously a huge mistake. And Keenum hasn't been what they'd hoped for either, so Elway needs to get it right, and fast. They'd pony up $20-$25 million a year in a heartbeat.

Check this out:

"The "where else?" question is interesting because nobody really knows. In the personnel world, everyone is guessing everyone else’s poker hand when it comes to the NFL draft. But a number of evaluators believe if they were reading the landscape correctly that the Denver Broncos ultimately would have taken Prescott if they hadn’t pulled off the trade to land Lynch in the first round. Prescott spent time with the Broncos, who also did a fair amount of work on him at Mississippi State. All of which is an amazing twist in hindsight since it was Denver’s trade with the Seattle Seahawks (and the Cowboys refusing to pull trigger on it first) that ultimately began a chain of events that delivered Lynch to the Broncos and then ultimately finished with Prescott landing in Dallas.

In essence, the two quarterback situations could easily be reversed right now, with Lynch starting in Dallas and Prescott on the bench (or even starting) with the Broncos.

"I know [Broncos head coach] Gary Kubiak liked Dak," one personnel evaluator said. "I know [Broncos general manager] John Elway also liked Dak. … He fit right into what they were looking for. Maybe they don’t take him until later [in the draft], but I don’t think Dak Prescott would have ever made it to the fourth round if Denver didn’t get Paxton first. … I’m convinced he was somewhere in [Denver’s] backup plan."

https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/11/29/13780182/dak-prescott-denver-broncos

Reactions: JBS

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Think Lee will come back to a reserve role with a pay cut

I hope we play him in our 3 LB base. He's too good to just sit on the bench. Make his contract pay to play to protect the team against injury.

You and me are in the minority wanting him back.