My worst days as a Cowboys Fan

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Landry being fired and Jerry taking over as owner were two of the better moments for me. No disrespect to Tom Landry but it was time for him to go. It led to 3 Super Bowl wins so no complaints from me. If Landry being fired and Jerry taking over as owner was a bad time for you I’m surprised you mentioned Jimmy leaving as bad moment because he would’ve never been the head coach had Landry stayed on and Jerry never took over as owner.

Good point on the Landry one. The way it was handled was absolutely poor, but a lot of us wanted him to call it quits at that point. Since it resulted in us winning three Super Bowls, it was the right call.

Jerry buying the team and hiring Jimmy also was not a bad day for me, and again, it resulted in three Super Bowls. The split was definitely a bad day, but who knows how things would have turned out if it hadn't of happened. I know most fans believe we would have won the next two Super Bowls at least, but there's not guarantee of that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actually, it was family and a few media people talking...as in saying what Jerry had said to them...

I think it's more Jimmy's ego to quit before he got fired.

And your statement about Jerry knowing things could go horribly wrong is directly refuted by Jerry's statement about hiring Switzer or a hundred other guys to replace Johnson and still win. Truth be told, he was right because Switzer did exactly that.

That was Jerry’s ego saying 100 other coaches could’ve won those Super Bowls. It was Jerry giving himself all the credit. Switzer was handed a loaded team. He was a great college coach who knew how to motivate. That doesn’t mean 99 other coaches could’ve done the same thing. The bottom line is if it wasn’t for Jimmy those teams would’ve never gotten as good as they did. He built those teams.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
1). 1981 NFC Championship game - "The Catch"., I still don't know what the heck Everson Walls was doing/thinking on that play.
2). Bears = 44 Cowboys = 0
3). 1-15 Season
4). 3-13 Season {1988}
5). The Dave Campo years {5-11 Seasons / from 2000 to 2002}
6). Leon Lett inexplicably trying to pick up the football after a game ending blocked field goal on Thanksgiving. As a result of the "Illegal Touching" penalty, the Dolphins get to retry the FG and win the game.
7). The end of Jimmy Johnson in Dallas - I actually cried during his announcement/press conference, because in that moment I felt the dynasty was ending. Jimmy was the architect of that team and those guys worked hard, practiced hard, and played hard for him. Those players would run through a wall for Jimmy, because they knew that he would do the same for them.. They would go on to win one more Super Bowl {Super Bowl XXX}., sadly after that, this team began to decline and age drastically, ending one of the great runs in all of sports.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
1). 1981 NFC Championship game - "The Catch"., I still don't know what the heck Everson Walls was doing/thinking on that play.
2). Bears = 44 Cowboys = 0
3). 1-15 Season
4). 3-13 Season {1988}
5). The Dave Campo years {5-11 Seasons / from 2000 to 2002}
6). Leon Lett inexplicably trying to pick up the football after a game ending blocked field goal on Thanksgiving. As a result of the "Illegal Touching" penalty, the Dolphins get to retry the FG and win the game.
7). The end of Jimmy Johnson in Dallas - I actually cried during his announcement/press conference, because in that moment I felt the dynasty was ending. Jimmy was the architect of that team and those guys worked hard, practiced hard, and played hard for him. Those players would run through a wall for Jimmy, because they knew that he would do the same for them.. They would go on to win one more Super Bowl {Super Bowl XXX}., sadly after that, this team began to decline and age drastically, ending one of the great runs in all of sports.

#6: At the end of that game, I walked out of my girlfriend's house (my first time there, meeting her parents) without saying a word. I just left.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
#6: At the end of that game, I walked out of my girlfriend's house (my first time there, meeting her parents) without saying a word. I just left.
Honestly, and not to make light, but doesn't the fact that the Cowboys won the Super Bowl that season kind of make Lett's blunder pretty moot/irrelevant?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The 81 NFC champ game.

Super Bowl 13

season ending loss to the Fins in 1984

Staubach retiring

the 1994 NFC champ game

plymkr

Reaction score
I feel my worst moment as a Cowboys fan was the 1st quarter of the 94 NFCCG. When we fell behind 21-0 I knew we wouldn't come back. To this day I can't watch highlights of that game or that season. That was my lowest point as a fan. It symbolized our invincibility that Jimmy established was over. That was a bad day for me. Still sucks.

Hadenough

Reaction score
1. Jimmy leaving
2. Letting Sean Payton go.
3. Not trying to hire Kyle Shanahan as head coach.
4.Not trying to trade Romo for the #1 pick to draft Andrew Luck.
5. Dak having a very good first season completely ruined the chance to draft DeSean Watson.
6.chance to make an offer to Brady and instead overpays that bum Dak.

This organization has just spiraled downhill since Jimmy left and Jerry has had many opportunities to change the course of this team but is too stubborn.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
1. Jimmy leaving
2. Letting Sean Payton go.
3. Not trying to hire Kyle Shanahan as head coach.
4.Not trying to trade Romo for the #1 pick to draft Andrew Luck.
5. Dak having a very good first season completely ruined the chance to draft DeSean Watson.
6.chance to make an offer to Brady and instead overpays that bum Dak.

This organization has just spiraled downhill since Jimmy left and Jerry has had many opportunities to change the course of this team but is too stubborn.

Tbh, 5 kinda worked out. Could you imagine what'd happen to the Cowboys if that stuff about Watson happened to us?

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
  • The worst days in my life as a sports fan:
    • Bears 44, Cowboys 0.
    • Erik Williams car wreck.
    • Romo stopped short of the goalline after the botched snap.
    • The Patrick Crayton Drop.
    • Keeping Doug Free and letting Parnell sign with Jacksonville. ;)
    • Travis Frederick retiring.
  • The worst things not directly involving the Cowboys:
    • Eli winning 2 Super Bowls.
    • Tom Brady being born.
Hard to disagree with any of those.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The day Tom Landry was unceremoniously fired was the saddest day in cowboy history and there isn't a close second.

The worst moment was Dwight Clark's catch and the loss that followed. The Catch as its called was a turning point in the history of both franchises and ushered in the end of an era.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
-Cowboys losing to the Panthers in 96
-The Drew Henson experiment
-When the team was solely focused on Emmitt's "record"
-When Coach Payton left
-Ten years of Garrett

blueblood70

Reaction score
when i signed up for this place and didn't realize it was afront for anti-cowboy rhetoric planed by our NFCE foes..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • The worst days in my life as a sports fan:
    • Bears 44, Cowboys 0.
Not my worst day as a Cowboys fan but it is in my top 10, if not top five. I had experienced a good deal of the sport at all three levels up to that point but that particular game is permanently burned into my brain.

The '85 Dallas Cowboys was a good team. It was not a great team by any measure but it was a good one. I had seen many good teams--in the NFL, college and high school--get beaten. However, it was rare for me seeing a good team utterly humbled.

For example, it was not like the 2008 44-6 loss to the Eagles. For sure, Philly dominated but Dallas had basically no energy and did not execute practically the whole game on both sides of the ball. Dallas got beat down but partially because they did some of the beating to themselves.

That 1985 game? That was a stumping. It wasn't that Dallas did not bring its offense and defense that day. It is just that Chicago OUT-executed the Cowboys on practically every play with conviction.

There have been many games that pissed me off. There have only been a few games, in every sport I have followed, that I can count on one hand, that have numbed me to my core. That was one of those games.