1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

My worst days as a Cowboys Fan

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    20,526 Messages
    13,695 Likes Received
    For me it’s Smith dropping the ball in the endszone against Pittsburgh. Tom Landry given Roger a hard time at the end of his career.

2. Whirlwin

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    20,526 Messages
    13,695 Likes Received
    I don’t know Barry has a ring. And if Jerry didn’t buy the team we wouldn’t have the rings we had with Jimmy.

3. Whirlwin

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    20,526 Messages
    13,695 Likes Received
    I don’t recall Jimmy getting fired. I recall him leaving on his own

Motorola and Cowpolk like this.
  4. SteveTheCowboy

SteveTheCowboy Well-Known Member

11,807 Messages
    7,988 Likes Received
    Somebody has to keep his facts straight. He doesn't!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country likes this.
  5. SteveTheCowboy

SteveTheCowboy Well-Known Member

11,807 Messages
    7,988 Likes Received
    If Jerry hadn't bought the team you wouldn't have had Jimmy.

If you're gonna try to make a logic chain.....

Whirlwin likes this.
  6. Whirlwin

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    20,526 Messages
    13,695 Likes Received
    I don’t know somebody else could’ve brought Jimmy

7. black label

black label Well-Known Member

5,519 Messages
    7,848 Likes Received
    imagine jerry wit chicks rofl

8. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    18,100 Likes Received
    Losing Fredbeard was brutal. I'm expecting him to comeback as himself, and he leaves instead, and we go into the season starting Not So Mean Joe Looney. Joe stepped up, but his step up was still a few steps down from Fredbeard.
    A leader. A guy in contention for HOF. And then disease. And then just out. Didn't see either of the last two coming.

The Crayton drop was brutal, but the team still looked like the arrow was pointing up, so it didn't feel so bad to me.

Direction matters. The end of the Landry years were abysmal. An aging team getting worse as far as the eye could see. I actually loved the 1-15 season in comparison. Lots of young guys playing hard and getting better. The arrow pointed up.

Wasn't there some end of season stomping by the Eagles that kept us out of the playoffs? That was a bad one. Like Tony going for it over the objections of Hangdog Wade, though.

Last year's playoff game was giving me the Final Landry Years vibe. Everyone as healthy as they could possibly be. Hitting in the draft and free agency. All the stars were aligned for us to make a push. Then we lay a big steaming turd on the carpet. And given the contract situation, we were inevitably going to lose talent and have less to work with this year. Not a singular bad day, but bad weeks of picturing us swirling the drain from here to eternity. Didn't like what we did with the contracts either.

But the defense is shaping up nicely. Lost fewer players than I expected. If they do something significant on the interior dline before the season starts, I'll be feeling pretty good about the defense. Just gimme at least one arrow pointing up to focus on.

9. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Well-Known Member

1,565 Messages
    1,175 Likes Received
    Yea, I lived through that painful, era; did you? Landry's team got to an NFC Championship game the very next year after "The Fluke". So again, although that 3 Montana pick abortion of a game may have been "one of" the first bricks in the 9ers '80s run, it surely wasn't the Cowboys undoing or they wouldn't have been right back in the Champ game the following year. The 9ers had no more to do with our decline than Philly or Washington.

10. Longboysfan

Longboysfan hipfake08

13,079 Messages
    5,659 Likes Received
    Passing on Randy Moss in the draft

11. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

8,411 Messages
    9,695 Likes Received
    I know. That drives me crazy. That '81 NFC Championship was by far my lowest point as a fan, though I'm too young to remember the Ice Bowl. What drives me nuts is they only remember that catch. No one remembers how Doug Cosbie was robbed of a TD by blatant interference by Eric Wright. It happened on a third down, and the Cowboys should have gotten a flag and a fresh set of downs on the 1. Instead, they had to settle for a field goal. They were robbed 4 points, and the Commie Niners ended up winning by 1. Than after the catch, the Cowboys were moving down the field when Danny White was hit as he threw an incomplete pass, but that was incorrectly ruled a fumble, and it sealed the game. I remember the announcer saying, "And the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl," and it was like a sucker punch to the gut.

To boot, the prickiest, most obnoxious bigmouth at our school was a 49ers fan, and he never shut up about that game.

Hagman likes this.
  12. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

8,411 Messages
    9,695 Likes Received
    That was a rough one. Sometimes I catch old Cowboys/Cardinals games on Youtube, and in them Jackie Smith, as a Cardinal, catches EVERYTHING. That drop in Super Bowl 13 was a weird and fluky thing.

There is one important point about the Jackie Smith non-catch. If he catches that, it's still not a guarantee that we win. It would have meant we would have been tied at the end of regulation. Therefore, it would have meant a chance to win the game in OT, but not a guarantee. With the rules as they were back then, if the Steelers win the OT coin toss, they probably win the game.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022