My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

JBS

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3918466 said:
Speaking of going for broke, I'm starting to think if the Peterson trade goes off at a cost of our 3rd, we may want to consider a 2nd trade up from #40.

Might as well go all in for two top prospects. Give up the 4th and 5th to move up as high as we can or need to to get a ROT we feel can start day one. If that means kicking in a 2012 pick in the 3-5 range, so be it.

I feel the same way

Hoofbite

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3918466 said:
Speaking of going for broke, I'm starting to think if the Peterson trade goes off at a cost of our 3rd, we may want to consider a 2nd trade up from #40.

Might as well go all in for two top prospects. Give up the 4th and 5th to move up as high as we can or need to to get a ROT we feel can start day one. If that means kicking in a 2012 pick in the 3-5 range, so be it.

I was thinking about this a bit ago.

If Dallas could address the two weakest spots on the team with top notch talent, it'd be a great draft.

Down side is........Dallas drafts Patrick Peterson and a OT, and basically nothing else. As much as these guys would help the team, Dallas still has some other holes.

JBS

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3918474 said:

If Dallas could address the two weakest spots on the team with top notch talent, it'd be a great draft.

Down side is........Dallas drafts Patrick Peterson and a OT, and basically nothing else. As much as these guys would help the team, Dallas still has some other holes.

If Dallas gets Peterson and OT and they both pan out, plus, they sign Huff and he pans out...that is more than enough for 1 offseason..every team is going to have some holes

Hoofbite

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3918488 said:
If Dallas gets Peterson and OT and they both pan out, plus, they sign Huff and he pans out...that is more than enough for 1 offseason..every team is going to have some holes

Initially, I was totally against the idea of moving up.

But, I've started to warm up to the idea of moving up.

I'd actually rather move up than move down.

Still though, sacrificing the entire draft for 2 guys is pretty crazy.

JBS

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3918495 said:

I'm in the same boat man..I was initially completely against it..I am definitely warming up..trading the entire draft for 2 players is really crazy..this team can't afford to miss on a scenario like that...I am a big risk taker though..but I don't make decisions

Primetime42

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3918495 said:

I think the Jets had 3 picks a couple of years ago, one of them being Mark Sanchez. They were a major disappointment the previous year.

In spite of a rookie QB, they made the AFC championship game. Just sayin.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I agree with what everyone saying. Might as well go all in. Imagine a guy like pouncey falls or a carimi or whoever into thhe 20's and we jump up from 40 ? I'd be ecstatic. Not very likely to happen but it's nice to dream lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;3918474 said:

CB is far from one of the top two weakest spots on the team. But we do need another starter there.

If Peterson's an all-decade talent, than a third is nothing to give up to get him. And giving up a third rounder hardly handicaps our entire draft. We've done better with street free agents in a lot of cases than we've done with our recent third rounders. What we really need to do is get two starters and a whole handful of players who can compete for roster and practice squad spots across the board.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3918495 said:

I'll always take quality over quantity in football, especially the Draft.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3919744 said:
I'll always take quality over quantity in football, especially the Draft.

The only two defensive players I would be happy with in the first round are Peterson (trade up) and Watt (trade down).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3919747 said:
The only two defensive players I would be happy with in the first round are Peterson (trade up) and Watt (trade down).
I'm very different than you in that respect. I could live with Cam Jordan, Prince, Dareus, Miller, or Quinn.

However, I don't think we will consider any of them except Jordan and the 2 you mention.

I have not hidden my Peterson agenda at all, nor will I. I honestly believe if we can get him we should. Scores from the Defense are gravy and he knows how to score.

Woods

Reaction score
Idgit;3918665 said:
CB is far from one of the top two weakest spots on the team. But we do need another starter there.

If Peterson's an all-decade talent, than a third is nothing to give up to get him. And giving up a third rounder hardly handicaps our entire draft. We've done better with street free agents in a lot of cases than we've done with our recent third rounders. What we really need to do is get two starters and a whole handful of players who can compete for roster and practice squad spots across the board.

I agree with you.

But is PP an all-decade talent at his position? Some say he's the next C Bailey or Woodson. Others say he'll probably be more effective at Safety given that he probably is more comfortable playing around 220/225 lbs.

I guess we'll have to trust the coaching staff on this one.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Woods;3919762 said:
I agree with you.

But is PP an all-decade talent at his position? Some say he's the next C Bailey or Woodson. Others say he'll probably be more effective at Safety given that he probably is more comfortable playing around 220/225 lbs.

I guess we'll have to trust the coaching staff on this one.
People keep harping on his weight. Years ago no one would have imagined taking a 300 pound player. Now if a guy is below 300 on the OL and even on some DL schemes, he is considered a liability.

Don't look at Peterson's weight. If a big guy can play CB all it means is the big WRs won't out physical him for the football. That is a bonus. He ran a 4.34 at that weight and was disappointed.

Weight is nothing, talent is everything.

Woods

Reaction score
Hostile;3919767 said:
People keep harping on his weight. Years ago no one would have imagined taking a 300 pound player. Now if a guy is below 300 on the OL and even on some DL schemes, he is considered a liability.

Don't look at Peterson's weight. If a big guy can play CB all it means is the big WRs won't out physical him for the football. That is a bonus. He ran a 4.34 at that weight and was disappointed.

Weight is nothing, talent is everything.

Hos, I'm rooting we get PP for your sake. You've been all over him right from the beginning. ;)

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
What's even better is Peterson wants to play for us.

I think we'll get him. I think he lasts until 6. Here's how I see it going:

1. Cam Newton
2. Marcel Dareus
3. Von Miller
4. AJ Green
5. Blaine Gabbert
6. Trade Up - Patrick Peterson

Wild cards are Cincinnati and Arizona, both of which could take rocking deals to move down. However, if the lockout persists, it will be even harder for them to take deals because no draft day trades could include players.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
the more i think about it i am really wanting that trade up for PP.

My reasoning - i want an OT at 9(tyron) but am scared to death of JJ trading down and taking JJ watt who i am undewhelmed with to say the least. He'll be, imo, another Marcus Spears. To me hgih effort guy means doesnt have the necessary skills so he has to try hard. I so worried he'll be average and we couyld just resign Spears knowing he can get the job done well.

So give me PP so i dont have to watch a bungled effort by JJ

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3919757 said:
I'm very different than you in that respect. I could live with Cam Jordan, Prince, Dareus, Miller, or Quinn.

However, I don't think we will consider any of them except Jordan and the 2 you mention.

I have not hidden my Peterson agenda at all, nor will I. I honestly believe if we can get him we should. Scores from the Defense are gravy and he knows how to score.

Oh, I'm with you in regards to players like Miller, Dareus and Quinn. I was just speaking in terms of realistic players Dallas could draft.

Ware is the only catalytic player on our defense. Dez has that ability but will he keep his head on straight? We need more playmakers. Peterson fits that bill.

Woods

Reaction score
casmith07;3919781 said:
What's even better is Peterson wants to play for us.

I think we'll get him. I think he lasts until 6. Here's how I see it going:

1. Cam Newton
2. Marcel Dareus
3. Von Miller
4. AJ Green
5. Blaine Gabbert
6. Trade Up - Patrick Peterson

Wild cards are Cincinnati and Arizona, both of which could take rocking deals to move down. However, if the lockout persists, it will be even harder for them to take deals because no draft day trades could include players.

I know everyone projects Newton to go to the Panthers, but I still can't get my head around that. That's a major, major boom/bust pick, imo.

Takes a lot of balls (or maybe desperation is the better word) to make that pick.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Woods;3919786 said:
I know everyone projects Newton to go to the Panthers, but I still can't get my head around that. That's a major, major boom/bust pick, imo.

Takes a lot of balls (or maybe desperation is the better word) to make that pick.

It's either Newton or Gabbert. They can't go into the next season telling their fans and their players that Jimmy Clausen is their guy.

Woods

Reaction score
casmith07;3919790 said:
It's either Newton or Gabbert. They can't go into the next season telling their fans and their players that Jimmy Clausen is their guy.

I would rather get a vet QB in FA for this year than risking it on Newton . . . . but that's me. I guess the good news is that if Newton doesn't pan out they can take Luck next year. :D