My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Hostile;3917573 said:
I don't agree with that at all.

I don't either, Hos. Not this year. To be able to parlay next year's 1st into getting two of the top ten players in this draft when the chances of us picking in the top of the draft next year seem to be slim makes the deal that much more appealing.

I'd jump all over it.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
sonnyboy;3918103 said:
The slim 10% chance you give it, is that because it's very unlikley he makes it to #6?

We trade down to the middle of round one for Pouncey. Then package that extra pick along with our #40 to move back up high enough into round one enough to nab Castonzo or Carimi.

Now we've addressed the OL in a BIG way and still have our the rest of our 2011 and 2012 picks.

Yep, I think that is a big wildcard in the Peterson trade up deal, plus if San Fran wants him, like Hostile said, not much we can do about that.

Your trade down scenario sounds really good to me, we could epically improve that O-line. I would love to have both Castonzo and Pouncey if that were possible without giving next years pick. I'm not sure if we would be able to do so without giving a second rounder, and the second round is where I think we have to address either a safety or DE/DT. It all depends on what kind of package it would take.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes;3917850 said:
These sorts of observations, however useful they may have once been, have become stale and inaccurate (not to say a little unreflective).

Jerry has been in the business now for over two decades. He's had the benefit of learning at the side of great football minds like Jimmy and Tuna. He shows great passion for the game and a desire to soak up as much as he can. Unless one thinks that he's dumber than a box of rocks, it's hard to believe to Jerry hasn't become a qualified football guy in his own right over the past 22 years. Not even rocket science is rocket science. Football certainly isn't.

I don't think Jerry is clueless as many make him out to be, but until he genuinely proves he has an eye for talent (string together a number of solid drafts/free agent periods), then people are correct in the assertion that he simply doesn't have it.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
You guys realize our first next year is going to be #32, right?

I'm trade our first next year, no problem.

/homer

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Corleone;3918117 said:
Yep, I think that is a big wildcard in the Peterson trade up deal, plus if San Fran wants him, like Hostile said, not much we can do about that.

Your trade down scenario sounds really good to me, we could epically improve that O-line. I would love to have both Castonzo and Pouncey if that were possible without giving next years pick. I'm not sure if we would be able to do so without giving a second rounder, and the second round is where I think we have to address either a safety or DE/DT. It all depends on what kind of package it would take.

One thing Hos mentioned as a negative, I see as a huge positive for the Cowboys.

That's the possibility of no CBA and an extension of the current format. No cap in 2011!

That's huge for us. Now we can sign our FA DEs and go get Huff to take care of the FS need.

It also gives us flexibility with Newman and a few other overpriced vets.

Now we can focus our draft resources on the OL.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile;3917079 said:
To get Peterson and Smith at 6 and 12 is absolutely worth it to me to use our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and our 1st this year and next year. Hell yes I jump all over that.

I don't know if there will be a lot of trading of next year's picks. What if the NFLPA wins in court and the draft goes away? Slim chance, but would you give up your first round pick with a chance you might not get compensation?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes;3917850 said:
These sorts of observations, however useful they may have once been, have become stale and inaccurate (not to say a little unreflective).

Two drafts ago we had one of the worst drafts since Lacewell was around.
How is that for "reflective"?

Jerry has been in the business now for over two decades.

And he is just as prone to have a ridiculously bad draft now as he had in 2001 and 1995.

I would love to see consistent evidence that his knowledge base has increased thanks to his two decades of draft experience before I think he has learned anything from it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
On earlier trade down discussions, I have a question:

Have we EVER traded down out of the top 10?
I can't recall us ever doing it.

I'm not totally against the idea if the players we want are gone and the value is not there, but I tend to think Jerry wants to take advatange of having a top 10 pick.
As for them making the right pick, that's a crapshoot for sure.

tm1119

Reaction score
DFWJC;3918165 said:

I'm not totally against the idea if the players we want are gone and the value is not there, but I tend to think Jerry wants to take advatange of having a top 10 pick.

Jerry has also never taken an O-lineman in the 1st round,....Its going to be an interesting draft for sure.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3918165 said:

Not with top of the 1st rd picks. We've actually done well in that spot.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;3918133 said:
Two drafts ago we had one of the worst drafts since Lacewell was around.
How is that for "reflective"?

And he is just as prone to have a ridiculously bad draft now as he had in 2001 and 1995.

I would love to see consistent evidence that his knowledge base has increased thanks to his two decades of draft experience before I think he has learned anything from it.

Just look at our record the past ten years. Clear eveidence of an upward progression.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
sonnyboy;3918185 said:
Just look at our record the past ten years. Clear eveidence of an upward progression.
2009 was as bad as any draft he has ever had.

And yes, getting rid of Larry Lacewell would make anyone look better.

The whole point is that Jones is only as good as who is around him because he has no eye for talent. So considering the fact he has surrounded himself with slightly better individuals in the past decade, that does not demonstrate a thing about him being capable after 20 years. He is not much different now than he ever was. It is just the supporting cast has changed.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;3918202 said:
2009 was as bad as any draft he has ever had.

And yes, getting rid of Larry Lacewell would make anyone look better.

I was referring to the team's record.

6-10
11-5
9-7
13-3
9-7
9-7
9-7
6-10
10-6
5-11
5-11
5-11

StarMan2112

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3918124 said:
I don't think Jerry is clueless as many make him out to be, but until he genuinely proves he has an eye for talent (string together a number of solid drafts/free agent periods), then people are correct in the assertion that he simply doesn't have it.

1 playoff win in the last 15 seasons. If that doesn't prove he's clueless, I don't know what it's going to take.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Our rolling 5 year average win total has been steadily increasing for some time now.
Total Wins......Per season average
2006-2010 = 48...................9.6
2005-2009 = 51...................10.2
2004-2008 = 46...................9.2
2003-2007 = 47...................9.4
2002-2006 = 39...................7.8
2001-2005 = 35...................7.0
2000-2004 = 31...................6.2

visionary

Reaction score
ejthedj;3917560 said:
It is always dumb to trade next years first. Maybe if you need a franchise QB, but never for anything else. Never.

Why? See 2009. You blow an entire draft if you don't have a first round pick because you end up getting desperate in later rounds.

The Pats prove you trade FOR future picks. You don't trade them away.

You're just enamored with this years guys bc they are fresh and on the mind. You'll be just as enamored with next years guys for the same reasons. And you'll be mad we don't have a first.

Not to mention, it costs two picks for the price of one. it's stupid, short-term thinking. Just stop. I hope we're smarter than this

oh man, now you've done it
if this is how stupid it is, JJ is sure to do it for shiny new toys

Bowdown27

Reaction score
This is my first post on the website i've been on the ranch for years and heard good things on here so figured I'd join!!!!

but I hope we make a move for peterson in the first then pick up a rt or or guard in the second or even trade late in the first to get an ol. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be upset taking an ol in the first but I think if we have a shot at peterson we jump on it.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Bowdown27;3918422 said:
This is my first post on the website i've been on the ranch for years and heard good things on here so figured I'd join!!!!

but I hope we make a move for peterson in the first then pick up a rt or or guard in the second or even trade late in the first to get an ol. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be upset taking an ol in the first but I think if we have a shot at peterson we jump on it.

Speaking of going for broke, I'm starting to think if the Peterson trade goes off at a cost of our 3rd, we may want to consider a 2nd trade up from #40.

Might as well go all in for two top prospects. Give up the 4th and 5th to move up as high as we can or need to to get a ROT we feel can start day one. If that means kicking in a 2012 pick in the 3-5 range, so be it.