My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Woods;3919799 said:
I would rather get a vet QB in FA for this year than risking it on Newton . . . . but that's me. I guess the good news is that if Newton doesn't pan out they can take Luck next year. :D

When is free agency going to start? <--- big question for QB needy teams.

Woods

Reaction score
casmith07;3919811 said:
When is free agency going to start? <--- big question for QB needy teams.

Well, no one clearly knows. BUT, I'd bet that a veteran QB is going to be far more ready than C Newton whenever football does start.

I agree that Carolina needs something to stimulate their fan base, etc., but I would just go about it differently. I just think that gambling on Newton can really set back their franchise even further. I suppose it's short term vs. long term perspective. Maybe Carolina is worried that they can't fill any stadium seats without Newton . . . . I understand from the financial perspective. But if Newton bombs, it's going to get even uglier.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3919767 said:
People keep harping on his weight. Years ago no one would have imagined taking a 300 pound player. Now if a guy is below 300 on the OL and even on some DL schemes, he is considered a liability.

Don't look at Peterson's weight. If a big guy can play CB all it means is the big WRs won't out physical him for the football. That is a bonus. He ran a 4.34 at that weight and was disappointed.

Weight is nothing, talent is everything.

Good point.

DFWJC

Reaction score
casmith07;3919781 said:
What's even better is Peterson wants to play for us.

I think we'll get him. I think he lasts until 6. Here's how I see it going:

1. Cam Newton
2. Marcel Dareus
3. Von Miller
4. AJ Green
5. Blaine Gabbert
6. Trade Up - Patrick Peterson

Wild cards are Cincinnati and Arizona, both of which could take rocking deals to move down. However, if the lockout persists, it will be even harder for them to take deals because no draft day trades could include players.
Sounds like Denver is shopping their pick too.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DFWJC;3919826 said:

To Houston, who I think would take Von Miller.

I think Denver might be trying to sell the draft for next year's Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Woods;3919821 said:
Well, no one clearly knows. BUT, I'd bet that a veteran QB is going to be far more ready than C Newton whenever football does start.

I agree that Carolina needs something to stimulate their fan base, etc., but I would just go about it differently. I just think that gambling on Newton can really set back their franchise even further. I suppose it's short term vs. long term perspective. Maybe Carolina is worried that they can't fill any stadium seats without Newton . . . . I understand from the financial perspective. But if Newton bombs, it's going to get even uglier.

If he bombs, he bombs. But if not, he can really change the face of the NFC South.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Woods;3919821 said:
That is FOR SURE

Carolina has a strong fan base....they were 6th in the entire league in attendace last season.

Furthermore, just bringing in a new coaching staff after all of these years has lit a fire under those fans.

They were one demensional with no pasing game last year due to throwing Clausen out there to the wolves. They need receiving help badly and it would help if they had a good veteran QB so they can maybe take some time too grrom the young guys and see for sure if they wasted picks on Clausen and Pike last year.

I'd take AJ Green or Dareus. I'm sure they'd love to trade down a few slots and maybe even take Julio Jones or Gabbert.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
DFWJC;3919826 said:

casmith07;3919837 said:
To Houston, who I think would take Von Miller.

I think Denver might be trying to sell the draft for next year's Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Word is they havent had any calls for the pick