Myth of salary compared to how elite a player is

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's because Dak wants a contract that doesn't allow for this. He wants a deal that is up in a couple of years, according to some reports. That basically kills the idea of saving money down stream. In a few seasons, you would be back in the same place but with a much bigger salary demand. Thats not a good deal for the team IMO.

I've read that too. With a new CBA on the horizon this might be Dak's last chance at a big contract. But if Dak wants a shorter deal (I've heard he wants four years instead of six), I don't know why the Cowboys just don't do it. By 2023 they'll be clear of him cap-wise if he gets hurt, regresses badly, or just plain implodes.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I've read that too. With a new CBA on the horizon this might be Dak's last chance at a big contract. But if Dak wants a shorter deal (I've heard he wants four years instead of six), I don't know why the Cowboys just don't do it. By 2023 they'll be clear of him cap-wise if he gets hurt, regresses badly, or just plain implodes.
Dak would take a deal that was 7 years but he wants more per year than what the shorter contract would pay since he wouldn't get a deal when the new CBA and everything goes into effect.

Basically 33-35 million on a 3-4 year deal or 35-40 million on a 7 year deal. I would still pay the extra and get the 7 years cause it's easier to move money around than the shorter deal.

That's my opinion anyways.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think so. He's young and I'd imagine that if he gets, lets say a 5\6 year deal, he would only be like 30. He would get another big time contract if he continued to have success and then probably another shorter term deal after that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dak would take a deal that was 7 years but he wants more per year than what the shorter contract would pay since he wouldn't get a deal when the new CBA and everything goes into effect.

Basically 33-35 million on a 3-4 year deal or 35-40 million on a 7 year deal. I would still pay the extra and get the 7 years cause it's easier to move money around than the shorter deal.

That's my opinion anyways.

I just wish the front office was more proactive and got Dak secured a couple years ago before the Eagles overpaid Carson Wentz. Then this wouldn't be an issue now.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I didn't want to pay Zeke cause RBs are the easiest position to replace. QBs, CBs, DL, LB, OL etc. are the hardest to replace and I have no problem spending the money for them.

My entire point is, salaries don't show who the best are and in that order. It goes by who contract is up next and within a year or two their salary isn't top 10 most of the time.
This is nonsensical. You're using one season (and it's arguable about top 5) that was AFTER a contract was signed.

Zeke was considered arguably the top back in the NFL when the contract was signed (and will be considered in those discussions in the near future).

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I just wish the front office was more proactive and got Dak secured a couple years ago before the Eagles overpaid Carson Wentz. Then this wouldn't be an issue now.
Absolutely, should have got it done before Zeke, Goff, Wentz, Wilson, Rodgers and anybody else that got a deal on the cowboys last year excluding maybe Collins at RT.

They better get it done before Mahomes and Watson get their deal

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams pay what they have to pay and can pay and we will see players go for more than we thought when FA opens.

They don't weigh the salary v elite part until that player is up. It's all about the whole, not the parts. They know they're going to overpay some players based on production, every team is, but they hope they get some deals to balance that out on the whole. That's why the draft has become so critical.

When FA first arrived, some thought that would lessen the importance of the draft and initially it did but then once the salaries started showing up, the smart ones realized, this is all about cheap, affordable younger labor. They also didn't foresee how expensive it would be to keep their own or how the buzzards would circle the SB teams.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do I have seen guys say Dak shouldn't get paid top 2 money because he isn't top 2 in the league.

Let's look at Zeke. Most on here that say Dak shouldn't get top QB salary was wanting Zeke to get paid top RB money but yet Zeke wasn't even a top 5 RB this season.

Same thing with Cooper, I haven't seen anybody say he should take much less money because he isn't top 5 receiver in the league.

What about Lawrence? Was he a top DE this season....... the answer is no but he got paid like it.

yes a group of us think Amaris injury prone and takes games off, he should not even come close to 19he wants I pay him no more then 17

Dak got offered 32/33 over 6 years twice a similar deal..thats more then hes worth and he wants more..

he should not make more then wilson he was offered a deal in the goff wentz range and playing hard ball..
Jaylon took a little less but still around that top 5 money but is he a top 5 LB.

Byron Jones will get top 3 money but is he even a top 5 CB?

I have seen Phillips DT from Bills where some want to sign him. Is he a top 5 DT in this league? No, but he still get paid.

All these are examples are just about the year they sign because in another year or two those players most likely will be outside top 10 in salaries at their position.
zeke wasn't top 5? he finished 4th 30 yards out of 3rd he was every bit top 5 just not the usual top 2..stop with that bs..zekes and elite player..regardless what some troll haters say..hes been elite in HS, College, and continued int he pros..

Dak not even close to top 5 in his career hes 10 at best and before this season was 16tgh..chew on that..i realize QBs that are not elite are overpaid but doesnt mean Dak should be next and the FO has to comply..

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is nonsensical. You're using one season (and it's arguable about top 5) that was AFTER a contract was signed.

Zeke was considered arguably the top back in the NFL when the contract was signed (and will be considered in those discussions in the near future).

I'd like to see the numbers comparing the top four teams in the conference championship games and where they ranked in team salaries. You can argue all day about one player's salary but you don't go deep in the playoffs by letter players like Zeke and Dak walk once you have them on the roster.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
zeke wasn't top 5? he finished 4th 30 yards out of 3rd he was every bit top 5 just not the usual top 2..stop with that bs..zekes and elite player..regardless what some troll haters say..hes been elite in HS, College, and continued int he pros..

Dak not even close to top 5 in his career hes 10 at best and before this season was 16tgh..chew on that..i realize QBs that are not elite are overpaid but doesnt mean Dak should be next and the FO has to comply..
Not sure what stats you looking at.

Henry had the most rushes this season but Zeke only had 2 less carries than Henry. Zeke was 39th in the league in average yard per rush, 5th in yards per game and 5th in total yards including receiving. I'm not saying Zeke is terrible but he didn't play as the best back in the league which is what his salary says.........oh yea, so chew on that

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3q0elc.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
More times than not salary and production tend to be polar opposites.

A lot of times all a player has to do is have one off the charts season to get an insane contract then they tend to go into cruise control.

The owners have created this monster and I see no positive end in sight.

Us old timers can remember the days back when we could talk about the players we would like for our teams to get and salary and salary cap didn't come into play, nowadays that's the first thing we have to discuss when talking player acquisitions.

Players contracts and cap issues are owners problems and shouldn't affect the fan base at all but it does.

The owners created a problem they don't know how to fix.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not sure what stats you looking at.

Henry had the most rushes this season but Zeke only had 2 less carries than Henry. Zeke was 39th in the league in average yard per rush, 5th in yards per game and 5th in total yards including receiving. I'm not saying Zeke is terrible but he didn't play as the best back in the league which is what his salary says.........oh yea, so chew on that
The only year Zeke has been the best back in the league was 2016.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Zeke deserves top rb more than Dak deserves top QB pay. And I was against paying Zeke what he got.
Dak is the most important player on Dallas, he is the most valuable player on the team and he plays the most important position in the league. On top of that Dak has been getting paid peanuts every year he has played. Tons of backups get paid more than Dak. Nobody deserves a contract more so than Dak.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Dak is the most important player on Dallas, he is the most valuable player on the team and he plays the most important position in the league. On top of that Dak has been getting paid peanuts every year he has played. Tons of backups get paid more than Dak. Nobody deserves a contract more so than Dak.
I believe you are his agent. I’m a Dak fan because he is a Dallas Cowboy, but making him highest paid player hurts this team. If they can structure the contract in a way that he doesn’t take up too much of the cap then I am all for it. I’m 51 and have been a fan since. Was 6 years old and I want to go back to Super Bowls!!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I believe you are his agent. I’m a Dak fan because he is a Dallas Cowboy, but making him highest paid player hurts this team. If they can structure the contract in a way that he doesn’t take up too much of the cap then I am all for it. I’m 51 and have been a fan since. Was 6 years old and I want to go back to Super Bowls!!
Reality is he will get paid, he earned it and deserves it. That being said I would pay as less as I could to all the players do we could have a loaded roster at every position but that's not just possible.

Don't mistake me saying Dak deserves the contract as me wanting him to get paid the most possible. It's not reality though, Dak is a top 10 QB in this league and it's his turn to get paid. The market is 34-38 million right now, that's reality

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's because Dak wants a contract that doesn't allow for this. He wants a deal that is up in a couple of years, according to some reports. That basically kills the idea of saving money down stream. In a few seasons, you would be back in the same place but with a much bigger salary demand. Thats not a good deal for the team IMO.

I have more trouble with that than giving him the highest annual salary for his position. A shorter-term deal means you have to take all of the cap hit on the front end. Longer-term means you can pay it out closer to however you want.

A lot of fans get caught out in the overall or even the average per year, but what really matters is the guarantees compared to the length. The lower the guarantees compared to the length of the contract gives the team a lot more flexibility.

Sydla

Reaction score
Do I have seen guys say Dak shouldn't get paid top 2 money because he isn't top 2 in the league.

Let's look at Zeke. Most on here that say Dak shouldn't get top QB salary was wanting Zeke to get paid top RB money but yet Zeke wasn't even a top 5 RB this season.

Same thing with Cooper, I haven't seen anybody say he should take much less money because he isn't top 5 receiver in the league.

What about Lawrence? Was he a top DE this season....... the answer is no but he got paid like it.

Jaylon took a little less but still around that top 5 money but is he a top 5 LB.

Byron Jones will get top 3 money but is he even a top 5 CB?

I have seen Phillips DT from Bills where some want to sign him. Is he a top 5 DT in this league? No, but he still get paid.

All these are examples are just about the year they sign because in another year or two those players most likely will be outside top 10 in salaries at their position.

The problem is three QBs have signed in the last 9 months. There’s the market. Dak doesn’t deserve significantly more than any of them, especially Wilson.