Mythbuster: Does Cowboys QB Dak Prescott have an Accuracy Problem?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn't consider a first year a standard. Teams weren't expecting Dak, so he played much better. Elway, P. Manning, Aikman, etc., performed horribly their first year (compared to where they would end up). If Dak's trajectory was the same as the aforementioned quarterbacks given their first year of play, he would have led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl by now.
I don’t buy into that Theory . Especially with the turmoil that followed the second year with Elliot suspension. Losing his starting wide receiver and tight end center left tackle going down. Jason sucking up to season after. No definitely don’t buy into your theory. I’ll give you credit for trying though. Do you know the team yes team was a disaster after that first season. Don’t you?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Im a troll because I called you out and put you on blast? :rolleyes:
no you are a troll, because you don't do anything nor have ever done anything to contribute but bait on stupid comments.

what you did, was also being a troll..you copied one response out of 100s, out of context to be slick willie.....why don't you show my 100s of responses....

and I find it funny that you are stalking......I must have gotten under your skin or embarrassed you in some way for you to go to this length....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Pretty sad when 8-8 isn't a waaaahh waaaahh moment and instead people curl up an purrrr at someone supposed stats ;) Team fan vs player fan I suppose.
8-8 was a garrett moment. one that we have been through many times. I used to support him, but in the end it was difficult and obvious that his time had come...

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
no you are a troll, because you don't do anything nor have ever done anything to contribute but bait on stupid comments.

what you did, was also being a troll..you copied one response out of 100s, out of context to be slick willie.....why don't you show my 100s of responses....

and I find it funny that you are stalking......I must have gotten under your skin or embarrassed you in some way for you to go to this length....
He is not a troll when it comes to Romo or Dez. He bends over backwards to shield those two players from any and all criticism. He is a troll on other topics.

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

One post out of context? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It was your thread and that was the OP :laugh::laugh::laugh:

erod

Reaction score
Not to the stat religion, and yes it is at biblical level.
The reason why stats are so inferior in identifying talent.
If stats where the defining line when determining ones talent level than why does every team in the league have talent scouts on their active pay roll?
Wouldn't it save so much money just logging in to the internet and evaluating the stats.
You wouldn't have to pay a single one of those moron so called scouts, that actually still use a god given resource called eyes and brain.
Exactly, great point.

If it was about stats, drafting and free agency would be easy. Winning championships would be simple to understand.

Truth is, it has nothing to do with stats at all.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don’t buy into that Theory . Especially with the turmoil that followed the second year with Elliot suspension. Losing his starting wide receiver and tight end center left tackle going down. Jason sucking up to season after. No definitely don’t buy into your theory. I’ll give you credit for trying though. Do you know the team yes team was a disaster after that first season. Don’t you?
And last year he had a better supporting cast, and we couldn't get into the playoffs.
Be that as it may, my point is that his first year isn't necessarily the standard. Lots of quarterbacks perform better in their second and third seasons than they do in their first. That was my point. It's not really a theory. Merely an observation. :)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One post out of context? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It was your thread and that was the OP :laugh::laugh::laugh:
you stalking me?......I guess I should be flattered.

:grin::grin::grin:

like I said, one post from January of 2019? like I said, 100s of other posts subsequent to that, including bunch last summer....

but yeah, you don't have an agenda.

you stalking me?.....I am flattered...

so what did I do to get under your skin, I know I have made you fool a few times, but no hard feelings...

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
you stalking me?......I guess I should be flattered.

like I said, one post from January of 2019? like I said, 100s of other posts subsequent to that, including bunch last summer....

but yeah, you don't have an agenda.

you stalking me?.....I am flattered...

so what did I do to get under your skin, I know I have made you fool a few times, but no hard feelings...

Stalking lol

Cute attempt to deflect from how you shared the EXACT same sentiment as many Dak detractors, but yet are acting like that opinion is nonsensical :laugh:

Just admit you are upset that I called out your hypocrisy and we can end this here

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's not just about completion percentage. It's also about ball placement. Can Dak put the ball right on the money where the receiver doesn't have to reach behind himself or make athletic adjustments in order to make the catch. The truth is, Dak is not good at pinpoint accuracy, and never has been his whole career. He has other qualities that have helped to make up for that weakness. He's durable, reads defenses, and is mobile. So that brings up the big question if you spend big money to keep him or if you look elsewhere. That's a hard question. It's never been an easy answer. Here's a video by Quarterback School that goes over Dak's abilities, fairly IMO.

The same guy analyzes Dad some more in his discussion if the Cowboys should pay him big money to keep him. That video is here.

Whether to give him a big pay day to keep him is not an easy question. It's a difficult and complicated one, and anyone who says otherwise is oversimplifying things. There is the option of going with Dalton short-term and then drafting one or more quarterbacks. That option comes with its own set of complications and would also be a very tough decision to make. Take these videos for what they're worth. IMO, they're good and fair analysis, though I believe they were made before the signing of Dalton.

The truth is, you have no idea what you’re talking about thinking you know more than Aikman, Staubach, J.J., Belichick etc., etc., etc. But keep embarrassing yourself. It is at least entertaining for the rest of us.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The truth is, you have no idea what you’re talking about thinking you know more than Aikman, Staubach, J.J., Belichick etc., etc., etc. But keep embarrassing yourself. It is at least entertaining for the rest of us.

The video I referred to explains in great detail Dak's accuracy problems and shows numerous examples. You failed to address a single point that I made or that my source material made. Instead, you simply reached into your bag of insults. That's a technique known as an ad hominem attack, and it's used by people who are either completely wrong or just too lazy to make a real point. In other words, it's less than not saying anything at all or just typing "piahdfvndazjnvweoiur[pgafharo;aowihjfd." If you had just slammed your fists against your keyboard, even that would be a better argument because resorting to an ad hominem is basically the same thing as conceding. But I guess that was easier than going over the plays in the video and making valid arguments as to why the reasoning in them was off. We could go by his rational arguments or we could just assume that you're smarter because you're able to think up insults. No, I'll go with Quarterback School's points.

sacase

Reaction score
The problem with Dak is he is always late on his throws. He cannot hit someone in stride on a consistent bases. Receivers are always slowing down, stopping, turning around, etc which disrupts the timing of the route. Can they catch it...sure. But the RAC is not there. I can't remember what game it was last year, but it was rather obvious the difference between Dak and the other QB he was playing against. The opposing receivers were hit in stride and getting a lot of RAC. Ours were catching passes and getting tackled right after because they were waiting on the pass.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The video I referred to explains in great detail Dak's accuracy problems and shows numerous examples. You failed to address a single point that I made or that my source material made. Instead, you simply reached into your bag of insults. That's a technique known as an ad hominem attack, and it's used by people who are either completely wrong or just too lazy to make a real point. In other words, it's less than not saying anything at all or just typing "piahdfvndazjnvweoiur[pgafharo;aowihjfd." If you had just slammed your fists against your keyboard, even that would be a better argument because resorting to an ad hominem is basically the same thing as conceding. But I guess that was easier than going over the plays in the video and making valid arguments as to why the reasoning in them was off. We could go by his rational arguments or we could just assume that you're smarter because you're able to think up insults. No, I'll go with Quarterback School's points.
Again, I’ll believe the experts I mentioned instead of some agenda driven yahoo who cherry picked a few plays. Please.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The problem with Dak is he is always late on his throws. He cannot hit someone in stride on a consistent bases. Receivers are always slowing down, stopping, turning around, etc which disrupts the timing of the route. Can they catch it...sure. But the RAC is not there. I can't remember what game it was last year, but it was rather obvious the difference between Dak and the other QB he was playing against. The opposing receivers were hit in stride and getting a lot of RAC. Ours were catching passes and getting tackled right after because they were waiting on the pass.
Sounds good. He is 9th in the league in yards after catch. How is he getting so many yards after catch if he is so bad and why don’t most of the other QBs have more yards after catch if they are so much better at hitting the receiver in stride?

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=230&type=Passing

JBond

Reaction score
Just like every other position, mistakes happen; however, the statistics are pretty clear that Dak Prescott is one of the more accurate quarterbacks in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback. We know this. However, it’s important to note that Prescott has been more accurate. Those are the facts.

Dak Prescott was seventh in the NFL in on-target percentage at 77.6% and sixth in the NFL in bad throw percentage, all the while finishing fifth in intended air yards.

Dak Prescott’s bad throw percentage improved from 17.3% in 2018 to 14.8% in 2019.

Dak Prescott has shown improvement each year he’s been in the NFL. Last year, he proved to be one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL.

Dak Prescott is one of the more accurate quarterbacks in the NFL and will continue to improve in that area.

Holy mythbuster!!! I've read so many times this off season that each of those items above weren't true.
Big Dog...

He did choke away three games last year after saying he wanted the ball in his hand when it counted. He made big strides last year. He will need to continue to improve his decision making under pressure. Hopefully this is the year he starts processing quicker.