Twitter: Nagy: Surtain has the tools Quinn is looking for

Beaker42

Reaction score

Senior Bowl executive director and ESPN draft analyst Jim Nagy worked with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in Seattle and believes Patrick Surtain II would be an ideal fit. “I know what he likes in his corners. I’ve sat in draft meetings with him,” Nagy said. “I haven’t talked to Dan specifically this draft cycle about Patrick but he is that style of corner. We used to call them, ‘Seahawk corners.’ He has that kind of guy. He definitely has the tools that Dan would be looking for.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

No no no - NO Surtain. Praying for a Bears or Dolphins plea to trade our 10 for a move back in the 1st for Darrisaw/Horn and their 2nd for Bolten/Browning/Grant.

Beaker42

Reaction score
After his freshman season, quarterbacks avoided throwing to their right side where Surtain lurked. In his 26 consecutive starts following the 2018 National Championship, Patrick was thrown at just 99 total times in 1,026 coverage snaps. But even when teams dared to throw in his direction, Surtain remained locked down in coverage. In 2019 and 2020 combined, the Alabama cornerback had 14 pass breakups with 3 interceptions and gave up a pedestrian 11.39 yards per reception. Quarterbacks’ passer ratings would plummet to a measly 66.94 when they chose to target Surtain in coverage.

But maybe the most spectacular stat of Patrick Surtain’s unbelievable 2020 campaign was that he didn’t commit a single penalty all season long. Given his physical, press coverage style, no defensive holdings or DPIs surrendered in 13 straight games may be the most impressive feat of Surtain’s illustrious college career.

https://thelibertyline.com/2021/01/12/eagles-2021-draft-spotlight-cb-patrick-surtain-ii/

I will take Surtain any day of the week. Dallas is very thin at CB so he not only fits BPA he fits a major need
Surtain is the 3rd best CB in this draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Surtain is the 3rd best CB in this draft.

In your opinion others disagree with your assessment. I like Horn as well but Farley coming off 2 back surgeries would not touch him. Dallas has gone after guys coming off major injuries and it never plays out well. As for Surtain I think he is the top CB in this draft, you don't fine.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Thursday cannot get here fast enough to see what happens in the whole 1st round. So many questions and really no answers you can trust except Lawrence to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Who will Dallas take? Who are they targeting? What will Dallas really do? We can all speculate what is going on and who we believe they will take or better yet what they should do but the fact remains, we do not have a clue of what their draft board looks like.

For all we know they believe that Caleb Farley is the best CB in the draft even with the minor back surgery. Do I believe this? No, yet like any other fan or analyst, what do we really know, i.e. nothing really.

Lets for grins take the Farley case. Could Dallas being throwing smoke that they are going to take Surtain or Horn at #10 so that a couple of teams will move up and take them pushing other supposed gems to us making a trade down a possibility. Again who knows.

I do believe we are going to focus on defense especially the 1st three rounds and hope we improve the secondary but also the run stopping because stopping the run last year just never happened.

Beaker42

Reaction score
In your opinion others disagree with your assessment. I like Horn as well but Farley coming off 2 back surgeries would not touch him. Dallas has gone after guys coming off major injuries and it never plays out well. As for Surtain I think he is the top CB in this draft, you don't fine.
How do we know it was major??

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How do we know it was major??

he had microdiscectomy surgery to relief pain in the mid and lower lumbar. Procedure went well and for the common person life moves on, however NFL rigors to the body are not normal. I do not think the risk is worth it, if a 22 man is having back issue now, I suspect back issue will continue down the line.