Nail in the coffin for Dez

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was done before the pick of Lamb.

The Cowboys were going to get a WR in this draft.
They weren't necessarily going to get a stud WR who will be expected to be a big contributor right away. I'm not saying Dez would have been in the picture anyway, but I can see how some could think the door was at least still open if the team hadn't taken a receiver until day 3.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had him pegged as a potential #4 receiver for this team anyway if he did come back. With a specialized role in short yardage and goal line package stuff.

I don't think that's changed all that much.
I do because I think it would have been hard enough for Dez to accept even a number 3 role, but a # 4 role with only a target or two a game is even more difficult to imagine. I doubt the team would see the benefit as enough to outweigh the potential for drama.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do because I think it would have been hard enough for Dez to accept even a number 3 role, but a # 4 role with only a target or two a game is even more difficult to imagine.

In seeing him and hearing him speak, I'm seeing a humbled and more mature person. I think he'd be fine if he was back on the team, the offense was doing well, and he was able to contribute. If not? Cut him.

I doubt the team would see the benefit as enough to outweigh the potential for drama.

That's a distinct possibility as well, but I really think that 'potential for drama' is gone.

People want to talk about him being older in terms of losing athleticism, but don't want to admit that maybe with that age also comes maturity and insight into past mistakes, and learning from those mistakes. I think that if he were brought back, he would be told in no uncertain terms what was expected and what would not be tolerated. Unlike what he got from the prior coaching staff.

Again, if there's the slightest hint of a problem? Cut him.

nobody

Reaction score
I do because I think it would have been hard enough for Dez to accept even a number 3 role, but a # 4 role with only a target or two a game is even more difficult to imagine. I doubt the team would see the benefit as enough to outweigh the potential for drama.

I think it's insurance for injury and teams need for experienced depth that -might- get him signed somewhere cheap. That's assuming he has matured, has decided to be coachable, etc.

How desperate are other teams for experienced receivers? How desperate is he to come back even knowing that he'd be a #4 or #5? There's a chance someone will sign him, but it's not going to be Dallas. (Nor should it be.) For his sake, I hope one of the other teams gives him a shot.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Fair enough! :) Have a great one!
Im just eagerly anticipating greatness tonight.
The funny thing is,, I can nearly guarantee you that there will be higher ranked WRs on the board than what we are picking,, WR2.. that would really freak this board out if we stayed with the BPA approach..lol

nobody

Reaction score
Im just eagerly anticipating greatness tonight.
The funny thing is,, I can nearly guarantee you that there will be higher ranked WRs on the board than what we are picking,, WR2.. that would really freak this board out if we stayed with the BPA approach..lol

I'm really really hoping for some defense picks... I know there are some times you go for BPA, and occasionally for need..but this team really needs some defense picks.

That being said, I can see them taking an O-lineman....and probably they'll end up with a couple more WR in a late round like 7 or even undrafted.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm really really hoping for some defense picks... I know there are some times you go for BPA, and occasionally for need..but this team really needs some defense picks.

That being said, I can see them taking an O-lineman....and probably they'll end up with a couple more WR in a late round like 7 or even undrafted.
Indeed, just being sarcastic,, my nature.. first round BPA approved all day and we achieved that with Lamb.
Now tonight is a totally different approach,, its take the best defensive player available time!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In seeing him and hearing him speak, I'm seeing a humbled and more mature person. I think he'd be fine if he was back on the team, the offense was doing well, and he was able to contribute. If not? Cut him.

That's a distinct possibility as well, but I really think that 'potential for drama' is gone.

People want to talk about him being older in terms of losing athleticism, but don't want to admit that maybe with that age also comes maturity and insight into past mistakes, and learning from those mistakes. I think that if he were brought back, he would be told in no uncertain terms what was expected and what would not be tolerated. Unlike what he got from the prior coaching staff.

Again, if there's the slightest hint of a problem? Cut him.
Obviously the team would be in a better position than I am to determine all that, so if they signed him, I can't say I wouldn't be skeptical, but I wouldn't condemn it without at least giving him a chance.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think the CeeDee Lamb pick at 17 was the nail in the coffin for Dez's hope of coming back as a receiver for the Cowboys.... I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with Philly for close to the vet minimum if he wants to return to the NFL.

Who knows, though.. He bleed blue and might not want to play for a division rival....but the Eagles need receivers.

I'd hate to see him in green, but... the Cowboys don't need him.
Nail in the coffin?

In your head? Because the team had been clear he wasnt coming back in Dallas

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a lot of work to dig that coffin up just to put one more nail in it, by the way.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I thought the nail in the coffin was when he blew out his Achilles in New Orleans.

Cmac

Reaction score
Ship sailed......don't think posters have to worry about his passion being a cancer through 8-8 seasons anymore.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously the team would be in a better position than I am to determine all that, so if they signed him, I can't say I wouldn't be skeptical, but I wouldn't condemn it without at least giving him a chance.

That sounds entirely fair.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the CeeDee Lamb pick at 17 was the nail in the coffin for Dez's hope of coming back as a receiver for the Cowboys.... I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with Philly for close to the vet minimum if he wants to return to the NFL.

Who knows, though.. He bleed blue and might not want to play for a division rival....but the Eagles need receivers.

I'd hate to see him in green, but... the Cowboys don't need him.

dez isn’t a slot WR.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They weren't necessarily going to get a stud WR who will be expected to be a big contributor right away. I'm not saying Dez would have been in the picture anyway, but I can see how some could think the door was at least still open if the team hadn't taken a receiver until day 3.

Dez is still on the board.

we wait.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I had him pegged as a potential #4 receiver for this team anyway if he did come back. With a specialized role in short yardage and goal line package stuff.

I don't think that's changed all that much.

I wonder.

Expecting that we go mainly as 2 WR on run downs, we still needed a veteran player or high pick to backup the starters. We got that in CD, and more.

Now I expect we got 3WR as the base in run downs, so again we're left needing a backup to the starters, maybe even more now that we're backing up 3 starters.

We need a veteran #4, but I don't think Dez is the best fit for backing up multiple spots, and I don't see a special role for Dez. Which of the 3 would we take off the field to put Dez in? I don't see it.

I thought bringing in Dez was a good idea before CD. Now, not.