Nail in the coffin for Dez

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder.

Expecting that we go mainly as 2 WR on run downs, we still needed a veteran player or high pick to backup the starters. We got that in CD, and more.

Now I expect we got 3WR as the base in run downs, so again we're left needing a backup to the starters, maybe even more now that we're backing up 3 starters.

We need a veteran #4, but I don't think Dez is the best fit for backing up multiple spots, and I don't see a special role for Dez. Which of the 3 would we take off the field to put Dez in? I don't see it.

I thought bringing in Dez was a good idea before CD. Now, not.

I still think that Dez is a very good short-yardage/goal-line option due to his size, strength, and physicality. And if I'm in the red zone, I think Bryant is a better target there than Cooper is. It's just not one of Cooper's strengths. And if I'm throwing a quick slant on 3rd and 2, I think Bryant's size, strength, physicality, and ability to wall off defenders is well suited to that role. I wouldn't look to him for much in the way of yardage, but I think his skill set still fits certain packages and situations.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the CeeDee Lamb pick at 17 was the nail in the coffin for Dez's hope of coming back as a receiver for the Cowboys.... I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with Philly for close to the vet minimum if he wants to return to the NFL.

Who knows, though.. He bleed blue and might not want to play for a division rival....but the Eagles need receivers.

I'd hate to see him in green, but... the Cowboys don't need him.
dez was in the coffin, with nails already in it...everyone knew except Dez and a few cowboys fans living in the past...but now they are also assured he is not coming here...thank GOD

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I still hope they give Dez a chance. Can you imagine going with 4 wide receivers and Dez going up against a teams 4th corner?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I still think that Dez is a very good short-yardage/goal-line option due to his size, strength, and physicality. And if I'm in the red zone, I think Bryant is a better target there than Cooper is. It's just not one of Cooper's strengths. And if I'm throwing a quick slant on 3rd and 2, I think Bryant's size, strength, physicality, and ability to wall off defenders is well suited to that role. I wouldn't look to him for much in the way of yardage, but I think his skill set still fits certain packages and situations.

You're gonna take Cooper off the field for Dez?

Put Cooper in the slot near the goal line. He'll be like Beasley, too quick to cover in both directions. Way too good to take off the field.

Dez looks like he should have been a quick slant monster his entire career. Never happened. Not with Tony or Dak. Dez was jump balls, back shoulder fades, and YAC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're gonna take Cooper off the field for Dez?

Depending on where we are on the field and what play I want to run? Yeah, I would. It's not the strongest suit of Cooper's game. That's not a slight on the player, it's just the truth.

Put Cooper in the slot near the goal line. He'll be like Beasley, too quick to cover in both directions. Way too good to take off the field.

Not a strong suit of his game.

Dez looks like he should have been a quick slant monster his entire career. Never happened. Not with Tony or Dak. Dez was jump balls, back shoulder fades, and YAC.

I agree that it was an untapped part of his game. Crossing routes as well. Neither of those quarterbacks are or were ever good at throwing those routes consistently either.

jnday

Reaction score
I don’t care one way or the other, but I see no reason why Dallas won’t bring him in on a vet minimum deal with incentives and let him fight for a roster position. The Cowboys are one injury away from only having two decent WRs on the roster. None of the WRs on the roster, with the exception of Cooper and Gallup, have the talent to see the field. If Dez could come in and beat one of those WRs out of a job and upgrade the position, I see no problem with him doing it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dez is that girlfriend you had once who was just great looking, but crazy. You remember those steamy nights, but forget the other 23 hours and fifty minutes of her being a total lunatic.

Dez was done here when he was released.

But here's an idea, maybe Jerry can lure Romo out of retirement and bring back Dez.

Come on, Jer, let's get the band back together.

See how foolish that sounds?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think the CeeDee Lamb pick at 17 was the nail in the coffin for Dez's hope of coming back as a receiver for the Cowboys.... I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with Philly for close to the vet minimum if he wants to return to the NFL.

Who knows, though.. He bleed blue and might not want to play for a division rival....but the Eagles need receivers.

I'd hate to see him in green, but... the Cowboys don't need him.
Dez has a heart of gold. I’d like to see him latch on with another team just not the Cowboys

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Depending on where we are on the field and what play I want to run? Yeah, I would. It's not the strongest suit of Cooper's game. That's not a slight on the player, it's just the truth.

Not a strong suit of his game.

I agree that it was an untapped part of his game. Crossing routes as well. Neither of those quarterbacks are or were ever good at throwing those routes consistently either.

If you don't think quickness is a strong suit for Cooper, we're watching different games.

Dak is still the QB. If he's not good at throwing crossing routes, and Dez has never demonstrated that he is good at running them, signing Dez in hopes that they get it working now is putting hope over experience.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly what HAS Dez Bryant been doing while out of football?

Neither a coffin nor nails would stop a Pai Mei disciple from coming back and plucking out Jerry Jones' eyeball.

Just saying.

nobody

Reaction score
Nail in the coffin?

In your head? Because the team had been clear he wasnt coming back in Dallas

Nah, really I was thinking more in his head. I really didn't think he was coming back here, but stranger things have happened. And no, I didn't want him back here. I've always been adamant that it really should have been up to Dak and what he wanted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't think quickness is a strong suit for Cooper, we're watching different games.

I never mentioned quickness lacking in Cooper.

Dak is still the QB. If he's not good at throwing crossing routes, and Dez has never demonstrated that he is good at running them, signing Dez in hopes that they get it working now is putting hope over experience.

No. That ship has sailed. It's slants and fades for Dez at this point.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I had him pegged as a potential #4 receiver for this team anyway if he did come back. With a specialized role in short yardage and goal line package stuff.

I don't think that's changed all that much.

If the contract was team friendly why not. I believe Dez can help in the red zone and be a brute on short slants. Not sure if he could handle being a bit player though.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had him pegged as a potential #4 receiver for this team anyway if he did come back. With a specialized role in short yardage and goal line package stuff.

I don't think that's changed all that much.
I totally agree he could play a great slot role position

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I'd still take him. At #4, he'd be great. He's not going to come in and start, he's going to back up one of our top 3 receivers. I'd sign him and see what he can still do.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm sad for him that his career isn't doing well of late. I think he still has a chance to add WR depth for some team. I wish him all the best wherever he goes. If he really wants to play and can't get his foot in the door with an NFL team, he should consider the CFL. There's no shame in playing for that league. Doug Flutie did, and did really well there.

Nav22

Reaction score
Our receivers last year were big and slow ‘go up and get it’ JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Mack Hollins, and Alshon Jeffery.

we needed the opposite of Dez. Once Desean went down, everyone knew Agholor couldn’t catch a cold so all safeties came in as we had no deep guys. We were essentially 5 TE’s wide. Dez would just be a 6th.

We took what we Desperately needed in the first round (not saying it wouldn’t have been Lamb if he was there). But there were clear reasons we needed Reagor over Jefferson
Watching highlights of Reagor ended my glee at the Eagles misfortunes.

He’s clearly fast as hell (MUCH faster than his 4.47 time at the combine) and looks like a playmaker with the ball in his hands. At worst he’ll be like a prime Tavon Austin, who was a pretty good gadget player early on with the Rams.

cern

Reaction score
I think dez is groveling in his attempts to try and get the fo's attention. He already got their attention with his histrionics. It got him fired. He should send out more resumes/videos.