Name a former Dallas Cowboy player you believe is the most underrated

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Meredith is easily, at worst, the 3rd best QB we've ever had. Might even be tied for 2nd w/ Aikman, close.
Meredith took a terrible beating his first few years as a Cowboy. Landry said as much noting that early in his career the "Cowboys were not very good." Don survived that and quarterbacked the team to the NFL championship game (Pre Super Bowl) twice. He was tough and a very good leader. Cowboy fans should never forget THE real number 17.

Big D

Reaction score
Williams is a weird one. I thought about him.

In his prime, he was overrated. He literally invented Jacked Up, but he couldn't cover at all. 20 years later though, the memories of him have faded, and people forget that he WAS the one of the scariest DBs in the league.
I don't think Roy was overrated at all. His style of play was legislated out of the game.
Lol. Texas Toast. He tried to emulate Deion and was not a tenth of the player. And he could not tackle to save his life. He would turn his back and try to fall backwards into runners attempting to trip them instead of an actual tackle.

Hot garbage football player.
You are trippin.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well you were wrong.

Newman took out opposing top WRs for us for years.

I wrote he was a good cb. But not near a shutdown corner. He had help over the top against the better wrs on a regular basis.

As a viewer on tv he never gave you the feeling on a long bomb that he would defend it and we could really trust on him 100%. Always a little doubt in his play.

But he was physical.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ron Springs.
Thats a great choice. He was a vastly underrated player that was key to the Washington comeback in 1979 at Texas Stadium. I think we won the NFC east because of that game. He had key receptions on the game winning drive. Better receiving back than many knew. ALSO, Ron was steady Eddie, even started games. He was key in the 80's when Danny was QB. He was no slouch. TD overshadowed him,rightfully so. That still doesn't mean he wasn't very good in his own right.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Kevin Smith, Bates, Danny White, Ron Springs. Jerry Rice struggled against Kevin Smith if memory serves. If that kid doesn't blow out his ACL, we never get Deion, but I think we still win chips with him...and I lay ya odds he makes the Hall if not for that career ending injury. The kid stepped onto the field day 1 and was a stud. RARE FIND. Honorable mention for me is a tie between Doug Free and Ronald Leary. Doug had a time where he was a shutdown RT. The 2014 year showed that. He and Tyron were elite bookends. DeMarco Murray was blessed to have that line in front of him.

ArtClink

Reaction score
  1. Mike Gaechter
  2. Les Shy
  3. Dexter Clinkscale
  4. Ron Fellows
  5. Ron Widby
  6. Benny Barnes
  7. WR Bill Hill (1987 strike shortened season SCAB)
  8. Efren Herrera
  9. Chutch

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Harvey Martin is underrated? Are you off your rocker? Underrated by whom?
Like I said, he played before my time. But I don't see him mentioned much by national media when the NFL's best pass rushers of all time are mentioned. He really needs to be put up there.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Moss....Oh wait...we passed on him! Jerry got Mossed on that one!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marc Colombo, OT, came over from Chicago as washed and played great for a few years when they needed him. A Bill Parcells guy.

Motorola

Reaction score
Sean Lee wasn't underrated.
He was always acknowledged by not just Cowboys fans, but his peers - teammates and opponents - along with the sports media covering the league - while he was playing.
Unfotunately -his dedication to the profession and shrewdness in performing each and every game was undercut by the injuries he suffered throughout his NFL career.