Name a former Dallas Cowboy player you believe is the most underrated

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was only 5 when he retired, but Harvey Martin for sure.

Sacks were not an official stat until 1982, but Martin had 23 in 1977; and 114 for his career.

Let that sink in. He had 23 sacks in a 14 game season in an era when teams ran the ball more than they threw it. Arguably the greatest pass rushing season by any Dallas Cowboy in history and it's hardly been acknowledged.

Motorola

Reaction score
Old school guy here so I have a couple of underrated guys from wayyyyyyyyy back. George Andrie and Jethro Pugh. They went underrated because they played on the same D line as the best of his era...Bob Lilly. Both Pugh and Andrie had long careers, were on SB winners, made multiple pro bowls and all pro lists. Both were gentlemen off the field also. Almost no one remember Andrie for anything but he even led the league in sacks one season. And sadly a great long career by Pugh is overlooked completely save for being on the receiving end of the Kramer block in the "Ice Bowl."
Kramer moved before the snap = offsides to block Pugh.

'SinceDayOne' - kudos to you for your post.
Not only were George Andrie and Jethro Pugh outstanding players...they were Cowboys fans' favorites...they received cheers, and acknowledgements from the local and state sports media.
Everyone following the Cowboys back then knew they were just as vital and important to the franchise's success, just like their HOF teammates.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Terrence Newman.

Fans didn’t like him because he didn’t get picks but the guy was shutdown for years.
I did not like him because imo he wasnt a very good cb. Never liked the pick.

he was seen as a shutdown corner. But he never was. Pure great athlete. No feel for the game. No football player. Stiffness in his hips. Never turned around to look for the ball. Not because he did not want to. Because he wasnt able to.

Last shutdown corner the league has seen was champ bailey.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It's a toss-up between Everson Walls and Harvey Martin but I am going with Harvey. Oddly, his name is barely mentioned among some of the all-time greats. I read his profile about 12 years ago and had no idea how he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Martin

Bob Breunig MLB. He held down the MLB position from 1975 to 1984, Former single season Tackle record holder, Top 5 All Time Leader in Tackles, All Pro, Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champion, 5 NFC Championship game appearances:
Career NFL statistics
Career highlights and awards
Career history
Games played:135
Interceptions:9
Fumbles recovered:8

Also the most underrated group in Cowboys history is the original great wall of Dallas which was 4 Irishmen and a Scott: Pat Donovan, John Fitzgerald, Jim Cooper, Tom Rafferty, and Herb Scott.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I did not like him because imo he wasnt a very good cb. Never liked the pick.

he was seen as a shutdown corner. But he never was. Pure great athlete. No feel for the game. No football player. Stiffness in his hips. Never turned around to look for the ball. Not because he did not want to. Because he wasnt able to.

Last shutdown corner the league has seen was champ bailey.

Well you were wrong.

Newman took out opposing top WRs for us for years.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
They’re definitely were/are underrated by CZ fans.
Maybe, but I think many had too high of expectatons based upon his stats alone. I have always been critical of him, but also very aware that finding a franchise QB is the furthest thing from a sure thing. I think the Jags and Panthers would agree with me.....

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Terrence Newman.

Fans didn’t like him because he didn’t get picks but the guy was shutdown for years.
Lol. Texas Toast. He tried to emulate Deion and was not a tenth of the player. And he could not tackle to save his life. He would turn his back and try to fall backwards into runners attempting to trip them instead of an actual tackle.

Hot garbage football player.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was only 5 when he retired, but Harvey Martin for sure.

Sacks were not an official stat until 1982, but Martin had 23 in 1977; and 114 for his career.

Let that sink in. He had 23 sacks in a 14 game season in an era when teams ran the ball more than they threw it. Arguably the greatest pass rushing season by any Dallas Cowboy in history and it's hardly been acknowledged.
Harvey Martin is underrated? Are you off your rocker? Underrated by whom?

kskboys

Reaction score
Vote for the most underrated, you say. I submit my vote for none other than Don Meredith. Is that behind the times? :huh: :lmao:
Meredith is easily, at worst, the 3rd best QB we've ever had. Might even be tied for 2nd w/ Aikman, close.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think many had too high of expectatons based upon his stats alone. I have always been critical of him, but also very aware that finding a franchise QB is the furthest thing from a sure thing. I think the Jags and Panthers would agree with me.....
….and Jets and Chicago and etc.,etc.