Name one team worse than Dallas in free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some teams are worse because they do participate in free agency. Not all signings are good ones.

Falco78

Reaction score
I dare you to go thru the recent FA signings and see how many have already been traded.

Vernon, traded
Zeitler, traded
Cousins, very bad
Keenum, traded
CRabtree, released
Garcon, released
Bennett, released
Suh, released
Leary, released,
Hankins, released

and the list goes on and on...FA is a tool the Cowboys use later in the offseason to fill holes. Guys like Fleming, and Woods who contribute and stick with the team to continue to contribute, and rely on drafting. Thats how they build the team now and its working.
It has not yet worked though, enter the JG "It's a process" garbage....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
unless they're going to catapult manning into insurance commercials with his brother moves this year made no sense.

when they ditch manning then they are rebuilding.

Manning isn't their primary problem. Their OL is the primary problem and has been for years. When you have a QB that doesn't move combined with an OL that can't hold the pocket, the offense isn't going to work. Now they have draft picks and cap flexibilty next year to really rebuild and get younger. Adding Zeitler is a big upgrade.

Signing Collins and continuing to pay Beckham would have hamstrung them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Manning isn't their primary problem. Their OL is the primary problem and has been for years. When you have a QB that doesn't move combined with an OL that can't hold the pocket, the offense isn't going to work. Now they have draft picks and cap flexibilty next year to really rebuild and get younger. Adding Zeitler is a big upgrade.

Signing Collins and continuing to pay Beckham would have hamstrung them.
yea, ok. gonna just disagree and move on. if you're investing heavily in a young stud RB it's time to build around him. otherwise you're shooting for what, a 2 year window before you bring in a new qb? max?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Not signing big names to big contracts doesn’t make you bad at free agency.
Dallas is not the worst just because they don’t believe in Free agency the way some teams do.

The object is to win games. NE has a similar philosophy. They don’t sign guys to mega contracts either, arethey second worst?

They must not believe in winning

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas overpaying in FA in something they did in the past and fans whined about that as well. Dallas over paying for guys who seem never to live up to the billing is not how they will get to a championship. It is a good way to lose key players we have and need to get them taken care of.

Gremell12

Reaction score
Berry has played more than 5 games only five times in 9 seasons. If the Cowboys bring him in they'd better keep Heath around as insurance.
Yeah, id limit his snaps but the upside could be sean lee esque.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It has not yet worked though, enter the JG "It's a process" garbage....
As much as i hate it, its working.

And i say hate because i dont want him coaching this team. When you have the second most wins in the league during this specific group of players time somethings gotta be working.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm actually going to say we're one of the best at free agency. We don't spend crazy, but we're assembling a very good team, and maintaining homegrown talent is critical.

Falco78

Reaction score
As much as i hate it, its working.

And i say hate because i dont want him coaching this team. When you have the second most wins in the league during this specific group of players time somethings gotta be working.
He has just been given more time during that as our complete dumpster fire GM keeps allowing him to stay

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm actually going to say we're one of the best at free agency. We don't spend crazy, but we're assembling a very good team, and maintaining homegrown talent is critical.

That's true, and I agree to a large degree, but JJ needs to remember what happened when he got Haley and Deion, and to a lesser extent guys like Novacek (lesser as in how much they got paid). Sure they cost $$$ but it made the team great. Don't just stay out of free agency entirely, as they pretty much have this year, when you have noticeable weak spots such as DT and OG.

No team can totally build a SB contender through the draft, not enough picks each year, this isn't the 1960's, with 12 rounds or such. Drafting 1 or 2 really good players a year it would take a team so long to build up that by the time the last few players got on board some of the first ones would have gotten hurt or left in free agency because the cap wouldn't allow you to pay them all..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's true, and I agree to a large degree, but JJ needs to remember what happened when he got Haley and Deion, and to a lesser extent guys like Novacek (lesser as in how much they got paid). Sure they cost $$$ but it made the team great. Don't just stay out of free agency entirely, as they pretty much have this year, when you have noticeable weak spots such as DT and OG.

No team can totally build a SB contender through the draft, not enough picks each year, this isn't the 1960's, with 12 rounds or such. Drafting 1 or 2 really good players a year it would take a team so long to build up that by the time the last few players got on board some of the first ones would have gotten hurt or left in free agency because the cap wouldn't allow you to pay them all..

Oh, no doubt. We certainly need to do a better job in being more balanced with our approach and be a bit more willing to bring in better talent. My point was that saying that we're the worst or one of the worst is a bit of a mischaracterisation of what we are doing. Especially since some seem to forget the big contracts that are soon to be due. Additionally, the FAs we've brought in are quite good and don't cost too much. That's a good balance to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.