Article: Natalie Portman will bring the hammer as a female Thor in 'Love and Thunder'

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Natalie Portman will bring the hammer as a female Thor in 'Love and Thunder'
By Erin Davis and Brandon Griggs, CNN
Updated 3:13 AM ET, Mon July 22, 2019

(CNN)Welcome, Ms. Portman, to the league of Marvel Cinematic Universe superheroes.

Natalie Portman is making a comeback to the MCU's "Thor" franchise, but this time she gets her own shot at swinging the hammer. That's right, Lady Thor is here, and she's ready to bring the thunder.

Marvel announced Saturday at Comic-Con International in San Diego that Portman would play a female Thor in the fourth installment of the franchise, titled "Thor: Love and Thunder."

<snip>

Marvel announced a host of other movie projects at its Comic-Con panel Saturday, including the long-awaited "Black Widow," "Eternals," "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings," "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," and a reboot of "Blade," with Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali taking over the Wesley Snipes role.

Click here for the entire article and embedded video.

quickccc

Reaction score
so Jane foster natalie will be anointed as worthy of carrying the great uru hammer, just as Capt America came to do so in end game?

and think back in AVengers- age of Ultron film how Steve Roger's couldn't bulge it but later in end game it was no problem?

And thor 2 was so forgettable i forgot about Jane foster and thought more to see Sif , thors lover in asgard as the one introduced...and more exciting
But with the director that wonderfully did thor ragnorak slated to do" Thor Love and Thunder " I definitely will risk trusting his work.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
so Jane foster natalie will be anointed as worthy of carrying the great uru hammer, just as Capt America came to do so in end game?

and think back in AVengers- age of Ultron film how Steve Roger's couldn't bulge it but later in end game it was no problem?

And thor 2 was so forgettable i forgot about Jane foster and thought more to see Sif , thors lover in asgard as the one introduced...and more exciting
But with the director that wonderfully did thor ragnorak slated to do" Thor Love and Thunder " I definitely will risk trusting his work.
It's commonly believed that Cap could have picked up the hammer, had he chosen to, but opted not to.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Natalie Portman will bring the hammer as a female Thor in 'Love and Thunder'
By Erin Davis and Brandon Griggs, CNN
Updated 3:13 AM ET, Mon July 22, 2019

(CNN)Welcome, Ms. Portman, to the league of Marvel Cinematic Universe superheroes.

Natalie Portman is making a comeback to the MCU's "Thor" franchise, but this time she gets her own shot at swinging the hammer. That's right, Lady Thor is here, and she's ready to bring the thunder.

Marvel announced Saturday at Comic-Con International in San Diego that Portman would play a female Thor in the fourth installment of the franchise, titled "Thor: Love and Thunder."

<snip>

Marvel announced a host of other movie projects at its Comic-Con panel Saturday, including the long-awaited "Black Widow," "Eternals," "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings," "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," and a reboot of "Blade," with Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali taking over the Wesley Snipes role.

Click here for the entire article and embedded video.
Okay, so how does that work? Is it a Freaky Friday type thing, or does someone give her the powers somehow?

quickccc

Reaction score
I wish they could reboot that disastrous blade trinity uugh. What a way to waste blade vs Dracula showdown. But apparently they wanted to make it more blade vs prison break.

speaking of vampires related movies to come out, theres also an Morbius the living vampire in the workings as actor Jared Leto is slated to play morbius.
For those not familiar with spiderman foes, morbius is not a true undead vampire that dies and returns as an undead vampire but more so a living vamp that was transformed from a result of a biochemical blood transfusion gone wrong by his attempt to cure his deadly blood disorder.
I wished they'd kept the title like the marvel comic; shang chi master of kung **.

quickccc

Reaction score
I wish they could reboot that disastrous blade trinity uugh. What a way to waste blade vs Dracula showdown. But apparently they wanted to make it more blade vs prison break.

speaking of vampires related movies to come out, theres also an Morbius the living vampire in the workings as actor Jared Leto is slated to play morbius.
For those not familiar with spiderman foes, morbius is not a true undead vampire that dies and returns as an undead vampire but more so a living vamp that was transformed from a result of a biochemical blood transfusion gone wrong by his attempt to cure his deadly blood disorder.
I wished they'd kept the title like the marvel comic; shang chi master of kung **.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I thinks I thinks I thinks Marvel is simply (majorly) re-tooling their Angela character and meshing it with Jane Foster's character.

Like @Runwildboys , I always believed Rogers could lift the hammer. I had maintained that no one unworthy to possess the power of Thor could move the hammer even a millimeter, whereas anyone deemed worthy could. In my opinion, Steve was just messing with Thor that day before Ultron showed up.

Perhaps I am one of a few moviegoers who liked Thor: The Dark World. Heck. I liked it somewhat better than Thor:Ragnarok for sure. :D

EDIT: <Fast typing uggh>

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
There are other marvel movie titles either in the works or already confirmed for future near future release.

- The Eternals has been confirmed for a movie release.

- The Inhumans would've been a more appealing draw than the Eternals as they have far more intriguing characters ( black belt, medusa, lockjaw, Gordon, Titan, crystal, mad maximus, etc) ,but unfortunately they gave it to ABC and they totally messed up that project

- I was surprised to see the Fantastic Four given another green light to the MCU (marvel cinematic universe) as the last production films were utter failure flops
maybe Disney thought Fox didn't have a clue how to mass market FF and now it's their turn to prove they can really succeed with it this time around.

-Black widow solo movie will be a prequel and has already been announced.

-Wanda and vision, Hawkeye and. Loki are already series slated to be on Disney plus streaming subscription

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, so how does that work? Is it a Freaky Friday type thing, or does someone give her the powers somehow?
Everyone should remember Odin's enchantment:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Pronoun usage aside :muttley:, I believe that the hammer's spell applies to anyone it judges as selfless, virtuous and seeks justice--all qualities Jane Foster has (at least somewhat) displayed in the first two movies.

There are other Marvel characters who have wielded the power of Thor besides he, Captain America and Angela. The alien Beta Ray Bill also was granted the Odinson power. Ironically, Beta Ray Bill's hammer was called Stormbreaker, which the MCU recasted as Thor's replacement hammer.

Them

Reaction score
...Captain America & Thor were both originally male...they may be sexier now as women, but that's about it!

John813

Reaction score
Interesting. With all the small dialogue in the movies posts Thor 2, I thought she was done for as a character/he moved on.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are other marvel movie titles either in the works or already confirmed for future near future release.

- The Eternals has been confirmed for a movie release.

- The Inhumans would've been a more appealing draw than the Eternals as they have far more intriguing characters ( black belt, medusa, lockjaw, Gordon, Titan, crystal, mad maximus, etc) ,but unfortunately they gave it to ABC and they totally messed up that project

- I was surprised to see the Fantastic Four given another green light to the MCU (marvel cinematic universe) as the last production films were utter failure flops
maybe Disney thought Fox didn't have a clue how to mass market FF and now it's their turn to prove they can really succeed with it this time around.

-Black widow solo movie will be a prequel and has already been announced.

-Wanda and vision, Hawkeye and. Loki are already series slated to be on Disney plus streaming subscription
Methinks Disney/Marvel could have gone with the Inhumans if they so chose. It would have been a simple task of reimaging the characters from the books instead of the watered down made-for-television weak mush thought would appeal to a small screen audience. One extra note, Disney owns ABC. So, technically, the same company that has made billion dollar successes of other Marvel characters also bombed with the Inhumans.

Perhaps the choice of the Eternals over the Inhumans was due to a stronger 'cosmic' link that the former group possesses. If Marvel sticks somewhat with the character origins, the Eternals have ties with The Mad Titan Thanos for instance. Something to consider.

I am not surprised the FF are getting new life BECAUSE the previous films were underachieving. All of the movies in the current MCU have received both praise and criticism but all of them have generated various forms of appreciation in storytelling--something the previous films were not really great at pulling off.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
By "female Thor" they just mean a female that has the same powers/wield Mjolnir, right? It's not that she actually becomes the person of Thor? It's not a Freaky Friday situation or similar? Can this be revealed without spoiling too much?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Keep making them. I’ll keep going to see them.

Not a great set for this phase 4 but... I’ll go lol

My top 3

1. Black Widow
2. Dr. Strange
3. It’s a gimme

It would be a crime if they don’t prequel the Winter Soldier. The 2 dozen assassinations in 50 years? Lots of meat there. It’s also their best best marvel movie IMO...(captain America: the winter soldier)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By "female Thor" they just mean a female that has the same powers/wield Mjolnir, right? It's not that she actually becomes the person of Thor? It's not a Freaky Friday situation or similar? Can this be revealed without spoiling too much?
Marvel producers may prove me wrong eventually but I think it is safe saying there will not be any Freaky Friday situation. Marvel has already set a on-screen precedent of another person being endowed with the power of Thor in Avengers: Endgame. Female Thor will greatly expand upon the same idea.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My top 3

1. Black Widow
2. Dr. Strange
3. It’s a gimme

It would be a crime if they don’t prequel the Winter Soldier. The 2 dozen assassinations in 50 years? Lots of meat there. It’s also their best best marvel movie IMO...(captain America: the winter soldier)
It is just me but I will not believe there is a Black Widow movie will ever reach post-production until I am actually sitting in a movie theater watching it. Heck. I may even second guess any teasers of the movie Marvel Entertainment publishes on YouTube between now and then. :muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
It is just me but I will not believe there is a Black Widow movie will ever reach post-production until I am actually sitting in a movie theater watching it. Heck. I may even second guess any teasers of the movie Marvel Entertainment publishes on YouTube between now and then. :muttley:

it may be just me , but I didn't even see the reason for Disney to kill Johannson's Black Widow off,.. rather than the ever boring Hawkeye (portrayed by Jeremy Remmer) that character they could never develop and make an appealing figure. and should there be a success hit with Widow are they going to be satisfied giving her following prequels over the years and having to explain her existence before joining the Avengers ?

quickccc

Reaction score

My top 3

1. Black Widow
2. Dr. Strange
3. It’s a gimme

as my understanding Disney has Winter Soldier set for one of their streaming series, but I could see where it could be a prequel from his presumed death and up to his discovery by Hydra.
and frankly i adore Winter Soldier as it is easily one of my very favorite, top 5 super hero movies of all time.. period !!

Some may found this surprising, but I even consider Winter Soldier a better film than even Black Panther.