Article: Natalie Portman will bring the hammer as a female Thor in 'Love and Thunder'

quickccc

Reaction score
Everyone should remember Odin's enchantment:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Pronoun usage aside :muttley:, I believe that the hammer's spell applies to anyone it judges as selfless, virtuous and seeks justice--all qualities Jane Foster has (at least somewhat) displayed in the first two movies.

There are other Marvel characters who have wielded the power of Thor besides he, Captain America and Angela. The alien Beta Ray Bill also was granted the Odinson power. Ironically, Beta Ray Bill's hammer was called Stormbreaker, which the MCU recasted as Thor's replacement hammer.

and I definitely wasn't prepare to see any Beta Ray Thor appearances. Never liked the idea or the character.

But I do admit that I was so behind at one time that I was unaware with Angela merging with Marvel's Asgardian mighties, as I've always known her to be associated with Image Comics and Spawn.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it may be just me , but I didn't even see the reason for Disney to kill Johannson's Black Widow off,.. rather than the ever boring Hawkeye (portrayed by Jeremy Remmer) that character they could never develop and make an appealing figure. and should there be a success hit with Widow are they going to be satisfied giving her following prequels over the years and having to explain her existence before joining the Avengers ?
That is a good point and I have asked why Hawkeye did not bite it as well. Maybe some of the reasoning was the shock value of a female character making the ultimate sacrifice, which is not as common in films, before Stark did the same at the end (which is common for male characters in movies by relation.

The whole prequel concept grinds my gears. The MCU is headed into new phases that are forward thinking while Natasha's story goes backwards. Then again, it would not surprise me if Marvel ties everything together at some point. Like the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica, they have a plan and are sticking to it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and I definitely wasn't prepare to see any Beta Ray Thor appearances. Never liked the idea or the character.

But I do admit that I was so behind at one time that I was unaware with Angela merging with Marvel's Asgardian mighties, as I've always known her to be associated with Image Comics and Spawn.
I was on the opposite coin with the character. I did not now Angela was an Image Comics property originally.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
as my understanding Disney has Winter Soldier set for one of their streaming series, but I could see where it could be a prequel from his presumed death and up to his discovery by Hydra.
and frankly i adore Winter Soldier as it is easily one of my very favorite, top 5 super hero movies of all time.. period !!

Some may found this surprising, but I even consider Winter Soldier a better film than even Black Panther.
It was much better than BP.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By "female Thor" they just mean a female that has the same powers/wield Mjolnir, right? It's not that she actually becomes the person of Thor? It's not a Freaky Friday situation or similar? Can this be revealed without spoiling too much?

Jane-Foster-Thor.jpg

Kevinicus

Reaction score
as my understanding Disney has Winter Soldier set for one of their streaming series, but I could see where it could be a prequel from his presumed death and up to his discovery by Hydra.
and frankly i adore Winter Soldier as it is easily one of my very favorite, top 5 super hero movies of all time.. period !!

Some may found this surprising, but I even consider Winter Soldier a better film than even Black Panther.
It's a post Endgame series. It's The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I wish they could reboot that disastrous blade trinity uugh. What a way to waste blade vs Dracula showdown. But apparently they wanted to make it more blade vs prison break.

speaking of vampires related movies to come out, theres also an Morbius the living vampire in the workings as actor Jared Leto is slated to play morbius.
For those not familiar with spiderman foes, morbius is not a true undead vampire that dies and returns as an undead vampire but more so a living vamp that was transformed from a result of a biochemical blood transfusion gone wrong by his attempt to cure his deadly blood disorder.
I wished they'd kept the title like the marvel comic; shang chi master of kung **.
Marvel just announced a couple days ago they were rebooting the "Blade" movie
"After a slew of other announcements at their Comic-Con panel in Hall H, Marvel had a brief coda by announcing a new Blade and bringing two-time Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali onto the stage. So we’ve got a new “Daywalker” and it’s the immensely talented Ali in the role."

http://collider.com/new-blade-movie-mahershala-ali/

cml750

Reaction score
I thinks I thinks I thinks Marvel is simply (majorly) re-tooling their Angela character and meshing it with Jane Foster's character.

Like @Runwildboys , I always believed Rogers could lift the hammer. I had maintained that no one unworthy to possess the power of Thor could move the hammer even a millimeter, whereas anyone deemed worthy could. In my opinion, Steve was just messing with Thor that day before Ultron showed up.

Perhaps I am one of a few moviegoers who liked Thor: The Dark World. Heck. I liked it somewhat better than Thor:Ragnarok for sure. :D

EDIT: <Fast typing uggh>

I like The Dark world better than Ragnarok also. While Ragnarok was not bad it was a little over the top with humor. I like that Marvel has added humor to the shows but they went a little overboard with Ragnarok.

quickccc

Reaction score
Marvel just announced a couple days ago they were rebooting the "Blade" movie
"After a slew of other announcements at their Comic-Con panel in Hall H, Marvel had a brief coda by announcing a new Blade and bringing two-time Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali onto the stage. So we’ve got a new “Daywalker” and it’s the immensely talented Ali in the role."

http://collider.com/new-blade-movie-mahershala-ali/

Be interesting to see how Mahershala Ali will fair as a martial artist in comparison to Wesley Snipes who was already a well student of the arts any, made it look natural and well choreographic.
I thought the first Blade was over the top but no question it was very entertaining, and I believe it was actually Blade that was the first Marvel movie that got the great domino roll of Marvel movies going ..

Also what villains or groups will Ali- Blade be going up against in this re-boot ? Same ole Deacon Frost ? Dracula ? Black out? Lilith ? Midnight Sons ? Nightstalkers ? and could Blade even have possible mergers and appearances from Morbius the living vampire,.. if/should both fair successfully at the box office.

Speaking of Snipes, I wonder how many people knew that the studio was initially interested in making a Black Panther movie with Snipes, but somehow that project stalled before Snipes eventually
took on the Blade projects . I really enjoyed the first two Blades, but the 3rd one (ugh) was clearly a bust flop, imo.

BTW, since i'm talking on the subject of a Dhampir, (half vampire, half human) ,.i'm still oh so hoping out for a Vampire Hunter D" live action film !. :p

Kevinicus

Reaction score

So? Just the powers? Because Thor is a person/being as far as has been presented in the movies. Thor is still Thor with or without his powers. So, is it just the powers she gets? Or a sex change? Something else weird like that? Or are they going to suggest that "Thor" is not really a person, but a set of powers, and the blonde guy we've been calling Thor is just a blonde guy with some other name who has the power "Thor?"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So? Just the powers? Because Thor is a person/being as far as has been presented in the movies. Thor is still Thor with or without his powers. So, is it just the powers she gets? Or a sex change? Something else weird like that? Or are they going to suggest that "Thor" is not really a person, but a set of powers, and the blonde guy we've been calling Thor is just a blonde guy with some other name who has the power "Thor?"

My thinking is that it will effectibely be just "the powers of Thor", yes. Based on the inscription on Mjolinir (despite the fact that it's been destroyed in the MCU apparently). Heck, maybe that's the movie storyline. Janes locates the remains of Mjolinir and upon reassembling them, she becomes the female version? But who knows?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

It was better than Black Panther IMO. I could make the argument it’s the best of all marvel movies.

CA:TWS is multi layered. Ramifications and consequence and intrigue and big reveal. A few actually.

Top 3 For me (superhero movies):

1. CA:TWS
2. Spider-Man 2: Doc Oc
3. Wonder Woman

DC Movies that missed but I still enjoyed a lot:

1. Justice League
2. Batman vs. Superman
3. Hmmmmm....

Marvel movies that missed but I still enjoyed a lot:

1. iron Man 3: actually it missed after dumb, dumb reveal of the fake Mandarin. Man... they had ,e going with trailer... “you’ll never ... see.... me ....coming” then that “fart!” Gahhh!
2. Iron Man 2: whiplash was friggin cool. I liked Rourke.
3. Any Thor movie here lol

Bad casting:

1. Ed Norton. Great actor that I like but it never worked for me. Wish they found Ruffalo sooner.
2. Rhoadey. (Not a bad casting either time)I like both actors. But I didn’t like two “Iron men” didn’t work for me. When Terrence said maybe next time I thought he would never. Liked him better as role he had.
3. Brie. I liked her for choice, I like when she is CM. But then she starts her dialog... it’s so wooden. Nothing to her.

Best Marvel Casting: (in order of appearance for the most part)

1. Robert Downey, Jr. : it just worked, an then some.
2. Black Widow: ScarJo. Perfection. He fight scenes. Her movie should be great!
3. Chris Evans: coming from the human torch which I think he nailed too. I wasn’t sure. Boy was I wrong.
4. Thor. Great.
5. Chadwick Boseman: he nailed every aspect of character. I don’t rad comics so I mean for me on the big screen. Just great portrayal. The look, the accent. All of it.

Best DC casting.

It’s such a mess. I actually liked Affleck as older version of Bruce. Cavill-it works. WW. Perfect.
Aquaman nice change, Cyborg. Owns the character. Flash. Ok. Works. Mega. Yes.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It is just me but I will not believe there is a Black Widow movie will ever reach post-production until I am actually sitting in a movie theater watching it. Heck. I may even second guess any teasers of the movie Marvel Entertainment publishes on YouTube between now and then. :muttley:

Yep. Just you. Lol

Nah... it’s been named as part of phase. I’m buying it.
You ever go to comic con? She has huuuuuge following.
Peggy Carter too.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
it may be just me , but I didn't even see the reason for Disney to kill Johannson's Black Widow off,.. rather than the ever boring Hawkeye (portrayed by Jeremy Remmer) that character they could never develop and make an appealing figure. and should there be a success hit with Widow are they going to be satisfied giving her following prequels over the years and having to explain her existence before joining the Avengers ?

Yeah but they clearly wanted to give the big stars a nice send off.

IM. Saves all.
Cap. Back to Peggy.
Thor helps fix things.
BW? The movie was about her. A lot. Her wanting to “do” “whatever it takes” to bring back something she never had. Family. All.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Be interesting to see how Mahershala Ali will fair as a martial artist in comparison to Wesley Snipes who was already a well student of the arts any, made it look natural and well choreographic.
I thought the first Blade was over the top but no question it was very entertaining, and I believe it was actually Blade that was the first Marvel movie that got the great domino roll of Marvel movies going ..

Also what villains or groups will Ali- Blade be going up against in this re-boot ? Same ole Deacon Frost ? Dracula ? Black out? Lilith ? Midnight Sons ? Nightstalkers ? and could Blade even have possible mergers and appearances from Morbius the living vampire,.. if/should both fair successfully at the box office.

Speaking of Snipes, I wonder how many people knew that the studio was initially interested in making a Black Panther movie with Snipes, but somehow that project stalled before Snipes eventually
took on the Blade projects . I really enjoyed the first two Blades, but the 3rd one (ugh) was clearly a bust flop, imo.

BTW, since i'm talking on the subject of a Dhampir, (half vampire, half human) ,.i'm still oh so hoping out for a Vampire Hunter D" live action film !. :p

A couple interesting tidbits about the new "Blade". It was Ali himself that pitched the idea to bring back and play Blade to Marvel and they loved the idea and decided to make it happen. Apparently, he contacted Marvel right after wiining the Oscar for "Green Book", said he was a big fan of "blade" It is also being said it will be rated R and not PG, so it sounds it will be a little more gritty than the other Marvel movies, which is nice to hear.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...blade-mcu-movie-to-marvel-kevin-feige-reveals

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This next phase seems a little underwhelming. I mean, It's Marvel so I'm still going to watch them, but it just seems like outside of Thor, it's their junior varsity line-up. Even Thor 4 aka "Love and Thunder" with a female Thor ( I have zero issues with female heroes or leads) is kind of meh.

The previous films all wrapped into the Avengers movies so even if it was a lesser character, I was interested because I wanted to know how it was going to tie into the overall theme.

Give me Spider-man, Black Panther, Thor, Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, a clever mutant intro focusing on a new Wolverine, and deal with the End Game aftermath. If you're going to do Fantastic 4, do it right, and I absolutely think John Krasinski should play Reed Richards. There's a ton of potential with a Ryan Reynolds Deadpool being incorporated into the MCU.

Other stories I'd like to see the Marvel cinematic universe tackle are Moon Knight and The Sentry, who coincidentally are both batpoop crazy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This next phase seems a little underwhelming. I mean, It's Marvel so I'm still going to watch them, but it just seems like outside of Thor, it's their junior varsity line-up. Even Thor 4 aka "Love and Thunder" with a female Thor ( I have zero issues with female heroes or leads) is kind of meh.

The previous films all wrapped into the Avengers movies so even if it was a lesser character, I was interested because I wanted to know how it was going to tie into the overall theme.

Give me Spider-man, Black Panther, Thor, Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, a clever mutant intro focusing on a new Wolverine, and deal with the End Game aftermath. If you're going to do Fantastic 4, do it right, and I absolutely think John Krasinski should play Reed Richards. There's a ton of potential with a Ryan Reynolds Deadpool being incorporated into the MCU.

Other stories I'd like to see the Marvel cinematic universe tackle are Moon Knight and The Sentry, who coincidentally are both batpoop crazy.

There's a whole lot I agree with in this post. A whole lot.

First, I feel the exact same way about this being an underwhelming slate of upcoming films. Marvel and Disney are in for a bit of a fall from where they are right now. First, I have no idea why there is such a wide gap between films. The next one I see on the slate is Black Widow in May 2020. That would make it over 10 months from Spider-man Far from Home. And I honestly have no idea of the release date for whatever their next film would be?

Secondly, after Endgame, everything coming up looks small by comparison. Black Widow may be exciting, but it's certainly going to be a much smaller scale. The same goes for Shang-Chi, whenever that gets released. And the Eternals just gives me an "Inhumans vibe" (which is NOT a good thing).

As for the next Thor film, I'll trust in Waititi after Thor:Ragnarok, but I have to say I'm not all that enthusiastic to see Portman as a female Thor, especially if it means Hemsworth won't be.

And I totally agree with you regarding both Moon Knight and especially Sentry. A mentally-unstable Superman-level hero/villain has loads of potential.