Nate Newton calls for switch to 3-4 scheme

fivetwos

Reaction score
These players simply don't care to even suit up and earn their checks. A change in scheme isn't going to do anything until the most important thing in Dallas Cowboy Land isn't THE BAG, and being a celebrity. Being a champion must become priority number one. Anything else is pointless and a waste of time.
It’s a common cliche that players take on the personality of their leader, and coach Jerry is clearly all about the money and being a celebrity. So there you have it.

The head coach is irrelevant, and until that changes every player that ends up in Dallas will be infected.

At least Belichick would change the culture to a point, but for how long? Two years? Three? So….again, by the time they get the right players in here to run the scheme he wants to, it’ll be time to leave. Then we can hear about how his replacement doesn’t have the right personnel for that scheme.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
At least Belichick would change the culture to a point, but for how long? Two years? Three? So….again, by the time they get the right players in here to run the scheme he wants to, it’ll be time to leave. Then we can hear about how his replacement doesn’t have the right personnel for that scheme.
As long as Jerry is open to at least grabbing a couple 2nd/3rd wave free agents you should be able to get your roster together in one offseason for a scheme switch, especially if this team ends up drafting in the first 15 picks. Give me an offseason similar to DQs first year here where they got a blue chip player in the draft but also went out and got guys like Malik Hooker to fit what DQ wanted to do even if they weren't superstars.

At his age Belichick is likely to only coach another 2-3 years so I'm fine if its only a temporary culture shift. Honestly its a move that would probably be beneficial for a few years, its gets you through the Dak years, as well as the prime years of Lamb, Parsons, etc. as these guys start to hit 30, and you're likely looking at a rebuild situation either way

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
As others have said, I assumed he meant in the future. Because right now we don't have the personnel to run a 43 either. You can't play any defense when you have literally zero interior DL who are any good. Osa is the only decent player. The rest can't play a lick.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
In the year 2024 we are still talking about 3-4 vs 4-3?

NICKEL IS BASE for every team in the league. The distinction does not matter.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It's taken a while but finally, many are coming round to the theory that you cannot play Parsons as a DE in a 3 point stance. This process of moving to this scheme should have started last season, to get the best out of Parsons. Jesse Holley on the same show (Hanging with the boys) concludes we do not have the players to make this work. But Nate quite rightly states the DEF should be about trying to get Parsons free.

'He will never be a DE' Nate Newton

Why has our front office not realised this?
While I think the answer is simple, I think you have it wrong. Micah should be playing more LBer in the base set with Tank and Kneeland as 4-3 DEs. In the Nickel its all pretty much the same so put whomever you want wherever you want and call it whatever you want...just blitz more!

quickccc

Reaction score
We don't have player personnel for a 3-4 scheme either .

We cannot even get a freaking decent nose tackle type.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Landry ran a flex defense, and Johnson ran the 4-3. It's not the defense that is the problem it's the personnel they don't have that is the problem. No way they can switch to a 3-4 because it relies heavily on a deep linebacker corp., which this team does not have.

Majic

Reaction score
In the year 2024 we are still talking about 3-4 vs 4-3?

NICKEL IS BASE for every team in the league. The distinction does not matter.
Disagree. There is a distinction, teams are running the ball more, teams are in base more.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's taken a while but finally, many are coming round to the theory that you cannot play Parsons as a DE in a 3 point stance. This process of moving to this scheme should have started last season, to get the best out of Parsons. Jesse Holley on the same show (Hanging with the boys) concludes we do not have the players to make this work. But Nate quite rightly states the DEF should be about trying to get Parsons free.

'He will never be a DE' Nate Newton

Why has our front office not realised this?
The 3-4 Defense was actually designed to defend the run better. Problem is, we have a 4-3 DC and 4-3 personnel. I have been a big proponent of hiring Bill Bellichek and think he could fix this defense in 1 offseason. He runs a multiple scheme depending on the opponent. This is something Quinn tried to do unsuccessfully cause he didn't have mult-schematic type of players. We need big personnel.

Why not get the same coach that developed LT to work with Parsons?

fivetwos

Reaction score
As long as Jerry is open to at least grabbing a couple 2nd/3rd wave free agents you should be able to get your roster together in one offseason for a scheme switch, especially if this team ends up drafting in the first 15 picks. Give me an offseason similar to DQs first year here where they got a blue chip player in the draft but also went out and got guys like Malik Hooker to fit what DQ wanted to do even if they weren't superstars.

At his age Belichick is likely to only coach another 2-3 years so I'm fine if its only a temporary culture shift. Honestly its a move that would probably be beneficial for a few years, its gets you through the Dak years, as well as the prime years of Lamb, Parsons, etc. as these guys start to hit 30, and you're likely looking at a rebuild situation either way
I actually thought he meant to make that switch now.

Majic

Reaction score
The 3-4 Defense was actually designed to defend the run better. Problem is, we have a 4-3 DC and 4-3 personnel. I have been a big proponent of hiring Bill Bellichek and think he could fix this defense in 1 offseason. He runs a multiple scheme depending on the opponent. This is something Quinn tried to do unsuccessfully cause he didn't have mult-schematic type of players. We need big personnel.

Why not get the same coach that developed LT to work with Parsons?
:clap::clap: