Nate's Thoughts on Art Monk in the HOF

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Funny quote I just heard from listening to the Michael Irvin show. When asked about his thoughts on Monk getting into the HOF, Nate Newton sounded less than impressed. His quote;

"Art Monk is Art Monk, man. We never gameplanned for him."

Just thought that was pretty funny and sums up why Monk was left out all these years.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Monk was never "the guy" on his team, it was always someone else. It bothers me that he got in and Drew Pearson and Bob Hayes get jipped.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170522 said:
Monk was never "the guy" on his team, it was always someone else. It bothers me that he got in and Drew Pearson and Bob Hayes get jipped.
I don't begrudge Monk his place in the HoF but for him to go in over Pearson and Hayes is just ridiculous.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dr. Z, who conspiracy theorists on this board hail as a hero, said this about voting for Monk "I figured, just put him the f--- in already, I'm tired of being the a--hole."

Rousing support.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
abersonc;2170532 said:
Dr. Z, who conspiracy theorists on this board hail as a hero, said this about voting for Monk "I figured, just put him the f--- in already, I'm tired of being the a--hole."

Rousing support.

Yeah, and then we have to hear all the so-called "experts" whine about the fact that the public gets to vote for which players make the Pro Bowl because we're all ignorant. Funny how these "experts" tend to **** things up as much as anybody.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Baseball is a numbers game, especially when it comes to hall of fame inductions. There are all these benchmarks for players to be considered for the hall -- 300 wins as a pitcher, etc.

Art Monk would have been a slam dunk hall of famer in baseball. He was a numbers guy.

But the NFL is all about game-changers. Monk was not, but Drew Pearson and Bob Hayes were.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
What would nate know about the hall of fame. He could never sniff the place.

I think monk was a great player and deserved to be in.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
theebs;2170736 said:
What would nate know about the hall of fame. He could never sniff the place.

I think monk was a great player and deserved to be in.

Only if there were donuts inside :D

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2170741 said:
Only if there were donuts inside :D

or other substances.

Nate is very outspoken on the radio about people. I am not sure why. I find him to be annoying. I appreciate how much he knows and he had a great career, but I just tire of hearing him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nate is exactly right. To be in the HOF, you should at least be one of the best players of your time... Monk usually wasn't even the most feared WR on his own team.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170522 said:
Monk wasn't "the guy" when he caught 104 balls in 1984? That might not sound a lot today, but Monk played almost his whole career before the new rules on DB contact (which is one of the reasons it's so silly to say that his statistics are because of a move towards a more aerial game - that happened after him). He was the only receiver to break 100 receptions in the 80's - even Jerry Rice couldn't do it in five seasons. It wasn't until the new stricter rules on what kind of contact DBs could have with wide receivers that 100 reception seasons became the norm. He far exceeded the output of any other receiver of his generation. People like to say that he wasn't feared, that's fine - people are more scared of looking stupid than losing it seems.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2170819 said:
Monk wasn't "the guy" when he caught 104 balls in 1984? That might not sound a lot today, but Monk played almost his whole career before the new rules on DB contact (which is one of the reasons it's so silly to say that his statistics are because of a move towards a more aerial game - that happened after him). He was the only receiver to break 100 receptions in the 80's - even Jerry Rice couldn't do it in five seasons. It wasn't until the new stricter rules on what kind of contact DBs could have with wide receivers that 100 reception seasons became the norm. He far exceeded the output of any other receiver of his generation. People like to say that he wasn't feared, that's fine - people are more scared of looking stupid than losing it seems.

Nobody is saying he wasn't productive.

Haley94

Reaction score

Weak! Bob Hayes change the way the game was played! Go crawl back in your hole.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
1st WR to ever have over 100 receptions in a season, 12,721 Receiving Yards #9 all time, eight years after retirement), 940 Receptions was #1, is now #5 eight years after retiring. Monk in my opinion belongs in the HOF. Having said that others are also deserving including some of our Cowboys but Monk belongs.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
When teams faced the skins they weren't trying to take away Monk, he wasn't the #1 receiver. The skins also ran a 3 wr set so they were one of the teams that did implement a more wide open attack.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Haley94;2170824 said:
Weak! Bob Hayes change the way the game was played! Go crawl back in your hole.

And Hayes belongs in the HOF, but because Hayes is getting screwed does not mean Monk should as well?

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170834 said:
When teams faced the skins they weren't trying to take away Monk, he wasn't the #1 receiver. The skins also ran a 3 wr set so they were one of the teams that did implement a more wide open attack.
I'm sorry, teams were letting Monk get 104 receptions? Monk was the go-to guy for the Skins. You can say teams were more "scared" of the deep threats like Clark, but Monk was the QB's first option almost all the time.

Haley94

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170836 said:
And Hayes belongs in the HOF, but because Hayes is getting screwed does not mean Monk should as well?

Monk was consistent and had a long career, I'll give him that, but I can't think of one epic catch he made. I just think all the Commander whining finally got him in the hall.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score

The rules on contact against wide receivers haven't changed since 1978. Monk was a rookie in 1980.

Other than 1984 and 1985, Monk was just a good receiver -- not one of the best in the league. If not for his longevity, he wouldn't sniff the Hall of Fame.