Nate's Thoughts on Art Monk in the HOF

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;2170750 said:
or other substances.

Nate is very outspoken on the radio about people. I am not sure why. I find him to be annoying. I appreciate how much he knows and he had a great career, but I just tire of hearing him.
I think he does very well. He was good on today with Michael out, and I gotta respect his opinion at least on offensive linemen. He was telling some great stories about Big E and Larry Allen today. Oh man....

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I diddnt even know this JAG made it to the Hall of Fame. It must have been part of my self-imposed football sebatical after the damn Giants became world champs.

What will DC sports writers complain about now?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2171073 said:
My argument is that the 1996 rules opened up the game, yes. The number of 100 catch seasons after it supports that contention.

There were 12 players with 100-plus catches in the two seasons directly before the rule emphasis. There were five 100-plus catch seasons in the two seasons after the rule emphasis supposedly "opened up" the passing game -- and only two more in the two seasons after that.

The evidence is opposite of your contention. In fact, there is NO two-year period since the rule emphasis with as many 100-catch seasons as 1994 and 1995 -- when defensive backs supposedly could get away with more.

But it is also true that the first half of the 90s was much more explosive than the 80s.

Given the numbers from the first half of the 1990s and those since, it's likely that the passing "explosion" has to do with something other than the rule emphasis.

Am I not allowed to make two arguments?

Well, since your "rule change" argument has flopped, you need to think of another one. What is it? And what does it have to do with Monk, who rarely was among the league leaders during his career -- no matter how "explosive" the league was that season.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170830 said:
1st WR to ever have over 100 receptions in a season, 12,721 Receiving Yards #9 all time, eight years after retirement), 940 Receptions was #1, is now #5 eight years after retiring. Monk in my opinion belongs in the HOF. Having said that others are also deserving including some of our Cowboys but Monk belongs.

Wrong.
Art Monk retired after the 1995 season.940 career receptions.
At the end of 1995 Jerry Rice had 942 receptions.
Look it up.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Artie Lange;2171367 said:
Wrong.
Art Monk retired after the 1995 season.940 career receptions.
At the end of 1995 Jerry Rice had 942 receptions.
Look it up.
You really want him to look this up? I can tell you without looking it up your wrong.

jimmy40

Reaction score
jimmy40;2171433 said:
You really want him to look this up? I can tell you without looking it up your wrong.
My old crappy memory thinks Monk retired after 1994 then came back at the end of '95 for a few games with Philly, but he did retire as the leading receiver all time. Not bad for a guy that spent a hell of a lot of his career being asked to block.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
jimmy40;2171438 said:
My old crappy memory thinks Monk retired after 1994 then came back at the end of '95 for a few games with Philly, but he did retire as the leading receiver all time. Not bad for a guy that spent a hell of a lot of his career being asked to block.

Artie was right

Monk retired after 95, Rice passed him in 95

jimmy40

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2171465 said:
Artie was right

Monk retired after 95, Rice passed him in 95
Looks like he retired in '94 with 934 receptions then had 6 receptions with Philly in the last three games of '95 when he came out of retirement. Kind of a trick question. But he did retire as the leading receiver but not at 940.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jimmy40;2171433 said:
No, he's not wrong. Rice had more receptions.

That's 942.

Monk played 3 games in 1995, so he was not retired. His final tally was 940 receptions.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
jimmy40;2171468 said:
Looks like he retired in '94 with 934 receptions then had 6 receptions with Philly in the last three games of '95 when he came out of retirement. Kind of a trick question. But he did retire as the leading receiver but not at 940.

He didnt retire after 1994
In 1994, Monk went to the New York Jets as a free agent. Used mostly as a third receiver that season, he still had 46 catches. However, the Jets cut him before the 1995 season and he joined the Philadelphia Eagles. Troubled by injuries, he appeared in only three games with the Eagles and then announced his retirement.

Reaction score
So he technically retired as the number 2 all time leading receiver. Does that really make the difference? Gimme a break.

sacase

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why he is in the HoF, yeah he was a nice guy, but being nice doesn't get you into the hall.

coogrfan

Reaction score
  • Monk's 13.5 yds/rec. for his career ties him with Tom Fears (Rams 1948-56) for the lowest among HoF receivers, and is nearly 3 yds less than the HoF avg (16.42).
  • Monk ranks third amongst HoF wr's in games played, but only 10th in td's.
  • Fellow HoF'er Steve Largent, who held the record for receptions prior to Monk, had a career avg of 16 yds/rec.; Largent also scored more td's than Monk (100 to Monk's 68), despite playing in 24 fewer games.
  • Monk played in 65 more games than did fellow HoF'er Michael Irvin, but scored only 3 more td's (Monk 68, Irvin 65).

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
coogrfan;2172531 said:
  • Monk's 13.5 yds/rec. for his career ties him with Tom Fears (Rams 1948-56) for the lowest among HoF receivers, and is nearly 3 yds less than the HoF avg (16.42).
  • Monk ranks third amongst HoF wr's in games played, but only 10th in td's.
  • Fellow HoF'er Steve Largent, who held the record for receptions prior to Monk, had a career avg of 16 yds/rec.; Largent also scored more td's than Monk (100 to Monk's 68), despite playing in 24 fewer games.
  • Monk played in 65 more games than did fellow HoF'er Michael Irvin, but scored only 3 more td's (Monk 68, Irvin 65).

LOL.

never saw art monk play (i'm only 17), so I really don't know if he deserves to be in or not, but LOL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2170935 said:
Its interesting that the same horsebleep that I would run out their to justify keeping keeping Monk out is exactly what has kept Hayes out.

Uhh, not hardly. You can't say Monk changed the very nature of the game leading to the modern passing game. You can't say Monk was nearly always double-teamed. You can't say he was triple and quadruple teamed at all. Monk didn't have elite speed. Monk was no the return man Hayes was either. We could talk about that awhile. You can't begin to compare Monk's YPC or YAC with Hayes.

You can say that Hayes doesn't have a great deal of TDs, a huge amount of catches. And you could say he didn't play a long time.

What can you say about Monk over Hayes? Number of completions/yr. How about overall yd/game or overall yds/yr and what do you have?

They don't compare unless you count absolute catches which is just related to longevity and yes consistency.

He's a very borderline player to be in the HOF. I felt almost the same for Largent except Largent got a lot of 3rd down conversions and clutch catches. He should have been marginal, too,. IMO.

Anyway, congrats of a very good player making it to the HOF. He was a credit to the uniform. The Skins are worthy oppenents.

Wanta bet on who wins more games this year?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2171532 said:
He didnt retire after 1994

Monk didn't actually retire until June 1997. He didn't play at all in 1996, but he didn't retire until after that season.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bob Hayes & Harvey Martin are more deserving than Art Monk & Fred Dean.

Chuck Howley should have got in before Harry Carson IMO.

And while I believe Andre Tippett is HOF worthy, he is not more deserving than Derrick Thomas.

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
jobberone;2172555 said:
He's a very borderline player to be in the HOF. I felt almost the same for Largent except Largent got a lot of 3rd down conversions and clutch catches. He should have been marginal, too,. IMO.

lol Monk was known for clutch 3rd down conversion. Some might say he the best possession WR of all time. He may not have caught alot of bombs like Clark, but the guy kept drives alive.

Monk was more than a numbers guy. You talk about intagibles (which SHOULD be considered for hall of fame induction) Monk should ahve been first ballot. Fact of the matter is while Monk was NOT the greatest WR of all times he was the best at what he did as far as keeping drives alive and was possible the greatest blocking WR erver. Dont even say that a it dont matter for a WR to block. Thats a buch of BS. Intangibles. Monk had them and the numbers.

Mansta54

Reaction score
rdskn4eva;2173276 said:
lol Monk was known for clutch 3rd down conversion. Some might say he the best possession WR of all time. He may not have caught alot of bombs like Clark, but the guy kept drives alive.

Monk was more than a numbers guy. You talk about intagibles (which SHOULD be considered for hall of fame induction) Monk should ahve been first ballot. Fact of the matter is while Monk was NOT the greatest WR of all times he was the best at what he did as far as keeping drives alive and was possible the greatest blocking WR erver. Dont even say that a it dont matter for a WR to block. Thats a buch of BS. Intangibles. Monk had them and the numbers.

Ahh dude, he's in. Whats the fuss! Keep it moving man...