Nate's Thoughts on Art Monk in the HOF

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Haley94;2170842 said:
Monk was consistent and had a long career, I'll give him that, but I can't think of one epic catch he made. I just think all the Commander whining finally got him in the hall.

He helped his team to 3 SB, was the 1st WR to have over 100 catches in a season and still ranks in the top 10 in most receptions by a WR in an age that was not as pass happy as we are today. Monk was a damn fine WR he deserves it.

As I said I'm hacked as anyone that we have some great players who have been passed over but I'm not upset with the players who have been selected as much as I am the jerks who have passed over players like Hayes and Chuck Howley

BoysFanInAustin

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170856 said:
He helped his team to 3 SB

I'm not trying to belittle any of Monk's accomplishments. I think he was a good WR and deserved to be in the HOF after such a long absence (he waited longer than Irvin did). That being said......didn't the Commanders win 2 of their 3 SBs without Monk? If I recall correctly, Monk didn't play at all in the 1987 postseason, and I think he was out in 1982 as well. I think he only "played" in 1991 when he was 34 and on the downside of his career. I believe he was injured in the other 2.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2170845 said:
The rules on contact against wide receivers haven't changed since 1978. Monk was a rookie in 1980.

Other than 1984 and 1985, Monk was just a good receiver -- not one of the best in the league. If not for his longevity, he wouldn't sniff the Hall of Fame.
You are right and wrong. You are right that the chuck rule has always been on the books, but the NFL announced that it would enforce it more strictly.

Edit: also, I thought that it was in the early 90's that the NFL changed its policy, but it was 1996.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BoysFanInAustin;2170873 said:
I'm not trying to belittle any of Monk's accomplishments. I think he was a good WR and deserved to be in the HOF after such a long absence (he waited longer than Irvin did). That being said......didn't the Commanders win 2 of their 3 SBs without Monk? If I recall correctly, Monk didn't play at all in the 1987 postseason, and I think he was out in 1982 as well. I think he only "played" in 1991 when he was 34 and on the downside of his career. I believe he was injured in the other 2.

He has 3 SB rings and in his last SB in 91 season he has 7 catches for 113 in the SB. I do think you are correct that he missed 1 due to injury during the season but for sure played in 2 of them

BoysFanInAustin

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170904 said:
He has 3 SB rings and in his last SB in 91 season he has 7 catches for 113 in the SB. I do think you are correct that he missed 1 due to injury during the season but for sure played in 2 of them

Yeah I know he has 3 rings, but I know for a fact he was out in 1987. I don't think he played in the 82 nfc championship vs the Boys.......He may have played in the SB vs Miami though.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2170877 said:
You are right and wrong. You are right that the chuck rule has always been on the books, but the NFL announced that it would enforce it more strictly.

I'm not wrong about anything. The "chuck rule," as you call it, was enacted in 1978. It hasn't changed since then. It was a point of emphasis for 1996, but the rule didn't change at all. And keep in mind that five of the top six individual seasons for catches came BEFORE the rule emphasis -- not after it. Monk's 106-catch season was surpassed a total of 11 times BEFORE the rule emphasis "opened up the passing game."

jimmy40

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2170465 said:
Funny quote I just heard from listening to the Michael Irvin show. When asked about his thoughts on Monk getting into the HOF, Nate Newton sounded less than impressed. His quote;

"Art Monk is Art Monk, man. We never gameplanned for him."

Just thought that was pretty funny and sums up why Monk was left out all these years.
Well this should be good for at least two to three pages of ignorance.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2170532 said:
Dr. Z, who conspiracy theorists on this board hail as a hero, said this about voting for Monk "I figured, just put him the f--- in already, I'm tired of being the a--hole."

Rousing support.

Its interesting that the same horsebleep that I would run out their to justify keeping keeping Monk out is exactly what has kept Hayes out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BoysFanInAustin;2170926 said:
Yeah I know he has 3 rings, but I know for a fact he was out in 1987. I don't think he played in the 82 nfc championship vs the Boys.......He may have played in the SB vs Miami though.

83 was the season he missed. 85 SB he had 1 catch 40 yards and Timmy Smith ran for over 200 yards in the game and 92 SB 7 catches 113

If you like you can check out all the SB games and stats here

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

BoysFanInAustin

Reaction score

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BoysFanInAustin;2170951 said:
Good find. He was brought back for the SB. 1987 was the year BTW (Jan of 88) He did miss the Bears and Vikings games of that postseason though.

I hate the Commanders but in my view Monk was a very good player and I'm happy for him. Now I hope some of our Boy's from the 70's that are missing get in. How Chuck Howley is not in the HOF I don't know

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170961 said:
I hate the Commanders but in my view Monk was a very good player and I'm happy for him. Now I hope some of our Boy's from the 70's that are missing get in. How Chuck Howley is not in the HOF I don't know
Hall of Very Good?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2170819 said:
Monk wasn't "the guy" when he caught 104 balls in 1984? That might not sound a lot today, but Monk played almost his whole career before the new rules on DB contact (which is one of the reasons it's so silly to say that his statistics are because of a move towards a more aerial game - that happened after him). He was the only receiver to break 100 receptions in the 80's - even Jerry Rice couldn't do it in five seasons. It wasn't until the new stricter rules on what kind of contact DBs could have with wide receivers that 100 reception seasons became the norm. He far exceeded the output of any other receiver of his generation. People like to say that he wasn't feared, that's fine - people are more scared of looking stupid than losing it seems.

Art monk was "the guy" in 1984 because Charlie Brown got injured. It was brown who was a pro bowler the season before and led the team in 1983.

Monk never broke 100 catches again

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170971 said:
Hall of Very Good?

I don't throw very good around lightly. Monk Belongs in my opinion he is still one of the tops in NFL receptions today.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2170975 said:
I don't throw very good around lightly. Monk Belongs in my opinion he is still one of the tops in NFL receptions today.
So is Keyshawn.

Kilyin

Reaction score
jimmy40;2170934 said:
Well this should be good for at least two to three pages of ignorance.

Why's that? You going to be posting on every page?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
According to profootballreference.com Art Monk was not the first WR to break 100 catches as I have seen said. He was actually the 3rd

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2170933 said:
I'm not wrong about anything. The "chuck rule," as you call it, was enacted in 1978. It hasn't changed since then. It was a point of emphasis for 1996, but the rule didn't change at all. And keep in mind that five of the top six individual seasons for catches came BEFORE the rule emphasis -- not after it. Monk's 106-catch season was surpassed a total of 11 times BEFORE the rule emphasis "opened up the passing game."
That's flat out misleading. A rule can be on the books but if it is not enforced, then it doesn't really have any bearing on the game. The NFL informed teams in 1996 that it would begin enforcing the rule - just as they inform teams about rule changes.

Jerry Rice alone accounts for 3 of those 11 100 reception seasons. Now, I'm not comparing Monk to Rice. But it is interesting to note that in Rice's first 5 seasons 85-89 he averaged 69.2 catches per season (missing 4 games). In the next five (in the 90's), he averaged 94.8 (missing none). This was despite playing on better teams in the 80s. Did Rice just get that much better, or did the game change?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2170980 said:
So is Keyshawn.

What does Key have to do with this? I think there are many who do deserve the HOF who are not in it. I think Monk deserves it