NBA Offseason 2023

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What do you want your teams to do?

I'd like to see Dallas trade for Ayton (Resigned Wood, McGee, Josh Green)
Resign Irving
stretch waive Bertrans

concerns:
Obviously KAI is a concern, he is a wild card in every situation.
But does really match Dallas need for a 2nd scorer and late game ball handler who nails FT.
He works with Luka same way he worked with LeBron.
But they need a lot of help around those 2 to defend, rebound and spread floor.

DAL needs to maximize value of Cuban's 2M tank fine by turning pick 10 into a vet rotation player or young guy who contributes day 1.
DAL center rotation is worst in the league so Ayton or someone else needs to be brought into address glaring hole.
General depth. Dallas really struggled after the Irving trade for depth. They need more NBA bodies and it may be hard to fill Center position without making it even worse. So plan must be there to fill out well.
Would LOVE to get DFS back or land Bruce Brown.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Resign Irving
stretch waive Bertrans

concerns:
But does really match Dallas need for a 2nd scorer and late game ball handler who nails FT.

DAL needs to maximize value of Cuban's 2M tank fine by turning pick 10 into a vet rotation player or young guy who contributes day 1.
DAL center rotation is worst in the league so Ayton or someone else needs to be brought into address glaring hole.
General depth. Dallas really struggled after the Irving trade for depth. They need more NBA bodies and it may be hard to fill Center position without making it even worse. So plan must be there to fill out well.
For a team like Dallas, pick 10 is a way more valuable as a trade chip than keeping. There are some bad teams out there with some good players that could really help Dallas.

What happens with Irving could be really interesting. He fits Doncic well if he is playing properly, and if he keeps his head where it should be. Kyrie is an interesting guy, but I think he is a good guy at heart. He is a case of how sometimes being your own person gets you in trouble. Dallas could be the third act he needs. I think his legacy is really on the line. If they get the right pieces around them, Dallas can be a very potent team

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Spurs Fan. I think it’s hard to blow the draft this year. LOL Just hope the kid‘s body can hold up. Hoping we’ll see something similar with Wembanyama as other pros who had to build up for the pros. Giannis examples below. But I also think about legends like Kareem Abdul-Jabar who didn’t bulk up like that and still withstood the test of time. I would argue too that the league was more physical back then.

Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Transformation.jpg

My main expectation of the Spurs, and I don’t think we have to worry with RC and Pop in charge, is don’t expect this kid to be an MVP year one. Groom him, mold him. Very few of these 18-19 year old kids start with much success. This is not Duncan or Robinson who came in as grown men with full college pedigrees. Hire a few key vets that will mentor all the youth and incoming draft picks, but not be blockers.

I don’t think it’s this year, but if a key free agent that is worth taking the plunge on appears, let’s go. But I think that’s 2-3 years down the line. No dumb contracts on guys like Harden or Irving. Waiting for that one that is truly worth it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
For a team like Dallas, pick 10 is a way more valuable as a trade chip than keeping. There are some bad teams out there with some good players that could really help Dallas.

What happens with Irving could be really interesting. He fits Doncic well if he is playing properly, and if he keeps his head where it should be. Kyrie is an interesting guy, but I think he is a good guy at heart. He is a case of how sometimes being your own person gets you in trouble. Dallas could be the third act he needs. I think his legacy is really on the line. If they get the right pieces around them, Dallas can be a very potent team
Agreed. Mavs fans have that pick 10 in every mock trade they do.
I am not as certain as most Mavs fans however as the value of a play ready 8th or 9th guy on a rookie deal is immense and resource mgmt is becoming key.
Dallas FO has a lot on its plate as it would like to stay below the Full MLE, get a top 20 Center, replenish wing and overall depth while being able to steer clear of any hard cap penalties in near future years.

It's a lot.

BUT in an ideal world you'd find a good player for 10 and a dead-ender that fits elsewhere.
Perhaps THJ, Bertrans or even Maxi.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spurs Fan. I think it’s hard to blow the draft this year. LOL Just hope the kid‘s body can hold up. Hoping we’ll see something similar with Wembanyama as other pros who had to build up for the pros. Giannis examples below. But I also think about legends like Kareem Abdul-Jabar who didn’t bulk up like that and still withstood the test of time. I would argue too that the league was more physical back then.

Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Transformation.jpg

My main expectation of the Spurs, and I don’t think we have to worry with RC and Pop in charge, is don’t expect this kid to be an MVP year one. Groom him, mold him. Very few of these 18-19 year old kids start with much success. This is not Duncan or Robinson who came in as grown men with full college pedigrees. Hire a few key vets that will mentor all the youth and incoming draft picks, but not be blockers.

I don’t think it’s this year, but if a key free agent that is worth taking the plunge on appears, let’s go. But I think that’s 2-3 years down the line. No dumb contracts on guys like Harden or Irving. Waiting for that one that is truly worth it.
Spurs legit won the lottery so it'll be a developmental road and watching greatness take shape.
It def beats being stuck with no future plans.
It should begin a new timeline so I could see them trade assets off to build a near future cache.
But it will take some patience. 2-3 years at least.
Giannis and KD were here once tho KD spent a year at UT to develop.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I haven't had a good look at what the C's have to play with this offseason. No frp due to the Brogdon trade. The get Gallinari back which should boost our perimeter offense.

They made some strong coaching hires after getting gutted over the course of the season. I think that could be a big help. Particularly on the defensive end. If they want a chip, there defense has to get back to 2021/22

Grant Williams is going to cost you 15M. Thats alot, but you do it. Very bench player for you.

If Williams isnt your long term Horford replacement, you should start looking for one now.

You have to lock Brown down this offseason. Dont get cute here.

Player wise they have a championship roster. Maybe a couple small moves gives you a tighter 6-10. Maybe moving Pritchard, who doesnr get consistent playing time a year after being a core rotation player in the 2022 playoffs, for a similar caliber big or wing might help.

T-RO

Reaction score

Resign Irving
stretch waive Bertrans

concerns:

I've been waiting for Mavs succeed for 20 years. This last year I lost hope. Let's get real: Irving + Doncic will never, ever, ever, ever work. And Cuban just isn't smart like I thought he was. We all should know: Doncic wants out!

Whatever energy I have for NBA may be migrating to Nuggets.

NUGGETS, baby!

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've been waiting for Mavs succeed for 20 years. This last year I lost hope. Let's get real: Irving + Doncic will never, ever, ever, ever work. And Cuban just isn't smart like I thought he was. We all should know: Doncic wants out!

Whatever energy I have for NBA may be migrating to Nuggets.

NUGGETS, baby!
Luka/Kyrie could very well work.
For same reason LeBron/Kyrie worked so well.
Kyrie gives you elite scorer, ball handler and 90% FT.

But you have to build everything around that.
Need multiple 3andD wings and a couple stretch bigs, 1 of which can also be a rim protector at least a bit.

All that said, Kyrie hasn't shown that commitment since CLE so it could also fail miserably.
So chances are good it doesn't work.
And you gotta get him signed anyway (to inflated price) to even have him this year.

Luka stuff is all speculation. He's made zero comments about moving on.
He's not anywhere near free agency.

T-RO

Reaction score
Luka/Kyrie could very well work.

Based on what? Everything went south at 300 mph after that trade. Two alphas sharing the court, where for obvious reasons players are gonna want to pick their guy. Slow pace, fast pace conflict, totally valid conflict, is just the beginning of the difficulty. And Kyrie only plays when he feels like it.

The Brunson trade? The Curry trade? Jason Kidd as coach? Doncic's defense and free throw percentage? Everything is working backwards.

Denver had to be twice as good as they weren't NBA anointed. But they became twice as good. Don't see that happen in Dallas anytime soon.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Based on what? Everything went south at 300 mph after that trade. Two alphas sharing the court, where for obvious reasons players are gonna want to pick their guy. Slow pace, fast pace conflict, totally valid conflict, is just the beginning of the difficulty. And Kyrie only plays when he feels like it.

The Brunson trade? The Curry trade? Jason Kidd as coach? Doncic's defense and free throw percentage? Everything is working backwards.

Denver had to be twice as good as they weren't NBA anointed. But they became twice as good. Don't see that happen in Dallas anytime soon.
Dont get me wrong, the last year has been a complete and total crotch kick in Dallas.
Dallas was better than Denver just 14 months ago.

It has definitely been all bad since then.
The Brunson FA loss was abysmal but what can you do if a team hires a guy's Godfather as GM, hires his Dad as asst coach and clears 25M in cap space by giving away players to pay him?

The end of season was terrible, but it doesn't mean you can't add pieces around these guys to go win.
They need a center and they need a DFS level defender.
...But they also made the end terrible in order to keep this draft pick.

Can't say I'd love the odds on a Luka/Kyrie team winning a title by any means but they do fit very well together in skills and needs.
Luka's 74% FT% matters very little when sharing floor with Kyrie who hits 90% and can handle the ball late in games.
Luka's size in the back court buoys Kyrie's lack of size and need to switch on defense.
But you better defend around those 2 and you better rebound so Kyrie can fast break.

Can they put it all together in one off-season? Very unlikely.
But Denver didn't build in one season.
It took them 7 years but 4 after they were actually good.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sucks for Chris Paul. Almost 40 and finishing out the career with the Wizards.

Meh. Not sure who is going to play defense, another all offense guy. One getting in his 30’s with injury issues too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Spurs legit won the lottery so it'll be a developmental road and watching greatness take shape.
It def beats being stuck with no future plans.
It should begin a new timeline so I could see them trade assets off to build a near future cache.
But it will take some patience. 2-3 years at least.
Giannis and KD were here once tho KD spent a year at UT to develop.
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs approach this year. They have tons of draft capital with multiple 1sts. Do they trade some of those assets and move up into the lottery again and pick someone that compliments Wembanyama? Or do the trade for some top tier players or go all in in Free Agency?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Meh. Not sure who is going to play defense, another all offense guy. One getting in his 30’s with injury issues too.
I doubt Paul plays a minute for the Wizards. They likely will buy him out.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I won’t pretend to understand all the different machinations of the NBA salary cap/trade rules, but if I’m the Warriors I’d be looking at either Kuzima or Porzinghis in a deal for Poole and/or Kuminga.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

CP3 got an extra 10M GTD in this deal. And he is likely released and/or traded by trade deadline.

Def not feeling sorry for him.

All in all I think is kind a bad trade for all involved lol. Not sure it maxes anyone's goals here.
PHX needed depth and assets after trading for KD but have now doubled down on the tiny roster model right as the new CBA penalties kick in next month.
PHX did not need more scoring.
Believe they MUST move Ayton now for 3 rotation guys.

WAS is probably going to offload and tank so step in that direction but without any real assets thus far to boost it. No trade clause robbed them of at least couple future 1sts.
Have to deal assets now to flesh out tank and stock assets.

CP3 would have preferred a release and off to Lakers he goes. But for ~10M (likely TMLE) a year over next 3 years not the 25M he is getting now for just 1 season.
At 25M day 1 buy out seems unlikely so gotta wait on trade deadline type deal??

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I haven't read up much on the new CBA, but what I hear it is more restrictive
According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, there is now a second apron being implemented that will severely limit the ways teams over it can spend. The threshold is for teams $17.5 million over the luxury tax threshold, and restrictions for those above it include:

• No access to the mid-level exception (MLE), including the taxpayer MLE. The present-day apron is triggered when a team utilizes more than the taxpayer MLE amount. The second apron would get triggered if a team uses any portion of the MLE.
  • Not being able to take in more salary in a trade than they’re sending out. Teams over the luxury tax are currently allowed to take back up to 125 percent of their outgoing salaries, but that will be eliminated for them.
  • Not being able to trade a first-round pick seven years out or cash. This would now allow teams to trade their 2030 first-round pick this season.
  • Not being able to sign buyout players.