NBA Offseason 2023

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mavs select Derek Lively II out of Duke.
He is the best defensive player in this draft and had more blocked shots than Zion Williamson.
He is a good defensive prospect. Offers almost nothing right now in offense. Had the lowest usage rate of any prospect in the last 20 years. He is a good long term development prospect, but I domt know how playable he is right now

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He has also been a 1st or 2nd option. Here he will be a 3rd option
I wish you guys the best of luck convincing him of that. He pouted as 2nd option to a top 5 player in Dallas.
I don't state that mildly, he has admitted so himself.

But when he is on, he can really go. Elite shot making, unlimited Curry range and some rim protection.
Gotta rebound around him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He is a good defensive prospect. Offers almost nothing right now in offense. Had the lowest usage rate of any prospect in the last 20 years. He is a good long term development prospect, but I domt know how playable he is right now
He was the top-rated player in his HS class 12 months ago. But his offense is non-existent.
That fits Mavs perfectly however as they just want him to pick and roll and play defense.
With Kyrie/Luka they were adding all cheap, young defenders and rebounders.
No one that wants the ball in their hands was incoming lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
After F last off-season I giver Mavs an A- this time around.

Mavs turned a play in game tank plus Bertrans into Lively, OMax, Rishaun Holmes, 5m in cap space which freed up 12M MLE to use.
That is tremendous work.

In 14 months have went from 1 young asset in Josh Green to:
Lively, Green, Hardy, OMax.

They can play this string out til deadline and either add another major piece rotation piece with some combo of THJ/Maxi/27 R1 or lean into youth.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After F last off-season I giver Mavs an A- this time around.

Mavs turned a play in game tank plus Bertrans into Lively, OMax, Rishaun Holmes, 5m in cap space which freed up 12M MLE to use.
That is tremendous work.

In 14 months have went from 1 young asset in Josh Green to:
Lively, Green, Hardy, OMax.

They can play this string out til deadline and either add another major piece rotation piece with some combo of THJ/Maxi/27 R1 or lean into youth.
Getting Holmes and shedding Bertrans was excellent. Holmes on the roster also allows you to develop Lively's offensive game before giving him a heavy workload

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Being reported by Marc Stein that Dallas had deal on table with Suns to acquire Deandre Ayton for Tim Hardaway Jr, Rishuan Holmes and Javale McGee but Suns wanted deal minus McGee.

This is interesting in that is pretty close to a deal for two sides rather desperate to make a move but also really about as far as I'd go if I were Dallas.
Dallas cannot lose the 12M MLE by acquiring Ayton IMO so any deals needs to send out as much or more money than is incoming and cannot give up any real asset.
If Suns are totally out on Mavs offer I would call it dead.
Which is prolly why it is leaking so profusely now.

Does someone blink?
If so I'd suspect it will be PHX.
They are in a war to build a roster after the maxed out trio of KD/Book/Beal.
Mavs can certainly survive until the trade deadline with Holmes/Lively/McGee/Powell.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We’re back baby!!!

IMG-0361.jpg
The more interviews I see with him, the more I like him. A lot of good stuff on YouTube Including the annual rookie introductions at the Riverwalk. He talked about how Duncan, Robinson and Ginobilli took him out to eat when he arrived in San Antonio. Duncan would be a great mentor for him.

Pop’s Draft Interview was pretty good too. Typical straight forward hard sarcasm no BS Pop press conference. The Bill Parcells of the NBA.

Only thing I haven’t liked is how when asked if he needed to bulk up, he said the other players should slim down. Uh, no, that’s not how it works. Vets look to eat hyped rookies for lunch.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The more interviews I see with him, the more I like him. A lot of good stuff on YouTube Including the annual rookie introductions at the Riverwalk. He talked about how Duncan, Robinson and Ginobilli took him out to eat when he arrived in San Antonio. Duncan would be a great mentor for him.

Pop’s Draft Interview was pretty good too. Typical straight forward hard sarcasm no BS Pop press conference. The Bill Parcells of the NBA.

Only thing I haven’t liked is how when asked if he needed to bulk up, he said the other players should slim down. Uh, no, that’s not how it works. Vets look to eat hyped rookies for lunch.
He didn’t say other players. He was talking about a direct response from an overweight media type.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being reported by Marc Stein that Dallas had deal on table with Suns to acquire Deandre Ayton for Tim Hardaway Jr, Rishuan Holmes and Javale McGee but Suns wanted deal minus McGee.

This is interesting in that is pretty close to a deal for two sides rather desperate to make a move but also really about as far as I'd go if I were Dallas.
Dallas cannot lose the 12M MLE by acquiring Ayton IMO so any deals needs to send out as much or more money than is incoming and cannot give up any real asset.
If Suns are totally out on Mavs offer I would call it dead.
Which is prolly why it is leaking so profusely now.

Does someone blink?
If so I'd suspect it will be PHX.
They are in a war to build a roster after the maxed out trio of KD/Book/Beal.
Mavs can certainly survive until the trade deadline with Holmes/Lively/McGee/Powell.
At most Id add a 2nd round pick swap if they need to be enticed into taking McGee. Phoenix is kind of in a corner with Ayton. Productive player you dont want to give away, but that type isnt valuable in the modern NBA. Kind of a weird player. He was supposed to be a stretch 5. Thats why he was #1 overall. Never happened. Should also be able to provide better rim protection than he has. You do have to ask yourself with Ayton if these skills can still be mined, or if he is what is he is

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At most Id add a 2nd round pick swap if they need to be enticed into taking McGee. Phoenix is kind of in a corner with Ayton. Productive player you dont want to give away, but that type isnt valuable in the modern NBA. Kind of a weird player. He was supposed to be a stretch 5. Thats why he was #1 overall. Never happened. Should also be able to provide better rim protection than he has. You do have to ask yourself with Ayton if these skills can still be mined, or if he is what is he is
I wouldn't even offer to sweeten it at all.

Ayton has played himself off the court 2 playoffs in a row.
He is obviously a better talent than the Mavs have at C but the Mavs just tried the CWood show and it is much the same issue.
Player wants to be a major scoring option and the rest of his game flows off of that.

His on/off splits last year were actually worse than Jock Lansdale.
He shoots a lot from mid-range and while he isn't bad there it is still the league most inefficient shot.
Defensively he was good in 2021 but has had two poor years in a row.
And he is a bottom 10 player for number of minutes last season spent in foul trouble.

So I am only in if I get a sweetheart deal to take that cash on.
And moving off both Holmes and McGee would do that for me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Big fan of the Kyrie contract.
3 years and 136M is chump change compared to what FVV and Tyrese got.
Very happy with Seth on bi-annual exception at 5M for years.

The Dwight Powell 3 years at 12M deal seems nuts so there has to be a trade set up for a couple centers to move out.

Mavs really need to land a big defensive wing.
I'd kill to have DoeDoe back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavs get Grant Williams from BOS. Send Bullock to San Antonio.

Mavs put in offer sheet for Thybulle at 3 years and 33M.