NBA Offseason Thread

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let me start off by saying congrats to the Dubs on another championship. Great comback after 2 non playoff seasons

Gonna be an interesting offseason. Im guessing chatter is going to be centered around drama in Brooklyn and Philadelphia with Harden, Simmons and Irving. However outside of what the Warriors might do with Wiseman, I think the most notable moves will come from moves after post mortem evaluations from these also rans like Dallas, Boston and Memphis. Miami Im guessing runs it back mostly

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For the Celtics the move facilitors they have are Horfords contract, a 17M trade exception and various other smaller exceptions. So the ability is there for them to really improve the roster.

I don't see anything seismic coming from them. They really dont have the assets to make a huge move, and I dont know that that would be their best move anyways. I do think they need to add a consistent third scorer.

Id look to move Horfords contract for that third scorer. First place I would look is Charlotte and old friend Terry Rozier. Charlotte locked him up, but I dont think he is in their long term plans. I think that was asset management. Horfords contract would be a valuable chip come trade deadline, and Boston a combo of picks and young players like Pritchard/Neismith that can help them shape their roster around Ball. Rozier has a good rapport with Tatum and Brown, gives Boston alot of what they lacked, and forms a pretty versatile backcourt with Brown, Smart and White.

With the 17M trade exception, Id look to replace some of the utility you lose if you trade Horford.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For the Celtics the move facilitors they have are Horfords contract, a 17M trade exception and various other smaller exceptions. So the ability is there for them to really improve the roster.

I don't see anything seismic coming from them. They really dont have the assets to make a huge move, and I dont know that that would be their best move anyways. I do think they need to add a consistent third scorer.

Id look to move Horfords contract for that third scorer. First place I would look is Charlotte and old friend Terry Rozier. Charlotte locked him up, but I dont think he is in their long term plans. I think that was asset management. Horfords contract would be a valuable chip come trade deadline, and Boston a combo of picks and young players like Pritchard/Neismith that can help them shape their roster around Ball. Rozier has a good rapport with Tatum and Brown, gives Boston alot of what they lacked, and forms a pretty versatile backcourt with Brown, Smart and White.

With the 17M trade exception, Id look to replace some of the utility you lose if you trade Horford.

I honestly have very little understanding of how the NBA’s CBA works; all the different salary/trade exceptions provisions are like a different language to me.

Is Horford’s contract that cost prohibitive? He seemed to give the Celts a lot of quality/valuable minutes this postseason. In a vacuum, salary implications aside, he’s the type of vet I could see the Dubs being interested in.

I thought Smart played well serving as the point, but I do think the Celts need another reliable ball handler at the PG position.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I honestly have very little understanding of how the NBA’s CBA works; all the different salary/trade exceptions provisions are like a different language to me.

Is Horford’s contract that cost prohibitive? He seemed to give the Celts a lot of quality/valuable minutes this postseason. In a vacuum, salary implications aside, he’s the type of vet I could see the Dubs being interested in.

I thought Smart played well serving as the point, but I do think the Celts need another reliable ball handler at the PG position.
Its about 26 million, although its only partially guaranteed. There has been alot of desire in the fanbase to find a way to keep on a smaller number (don't know how that would in the NBA), but at 36 he could hit a steep decline at anytime. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but Id rather they use that salary slot while they still have it.

A scoring big could be a possible target, but I think an offensive counterpart at PG to Smart and White would be the best route. Both guys are there for defense, and Smart has been our starter at the 2 before. A guy like Rozier or Malcolm Brogdon would be great add as 3rd scorers and ball handlers

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Beal has apparently made his decision regarding his option. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Im guessing if he stays, Washington will he very aggressive this offseason.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Mavs Wood trade makes them likely to at least repeat a final 4.

Wood is in the last year of his contract, but he is making something like 13 million this year. Thats a huge coup for a team with Dallas's payroll. Especially when you consider they are giving a 2023 1st and table scaps

John813

Reaction score
I think Pat Riley tries really hard to get rid of Duncan Robinson, which may mean a package deal to try for a disgruntled "star"

Miami hates draft picks so I've seen the fan rumors wanting Mitchell from the Jazz.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying congrats to the Dubs on another championship. Great comback after 2 non playoff seasons

Gonna be an interesting offseason. Im guessing chatter is going to be centered around drama in Brooklyn and Philadelphia with Harden, Simmons and Irving. However outside of what the Warriors might do with Wiseman, I think the most notable moves will come from moves after post mortem evaluations from these also rans like Dallas, Boston and Memphis. Miami Im guessing runs it back mostly
I am guessing the biggest stories(or non-stories) will be the mega-stars (LeBron and KD).
If they opt to stay in situations where they aren't truly competing for a title or force their way elsewhere.
Dame is worth watching and you have mentioned Beal --who almost certainly wants zero to do with the 5 teams who realistically could have cap space for him.

After that, Philly has so many assets and somehow yearly finds a way to make it all not fit.... Just no idea where they go but Philly likely keeps trying to adjust pieces to fit into a championship model.

MIA/DAL/BOS/PHX all sorta in a jumble for me. Good teams that could run it back virtually as is and think they just need to play a touch better when it matters most.

I am not listing Kyrie because his oddball nonsense has worn on me and feels like not worth the price of admission.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Mavs Wood trade makes them likely to at least repeat a final 4.

Wood is in the last year of his contract, but he is making something like 13 million this year. Thats a huge coup for a team with Dallas's payroll. Especially when you consider they are giving a 2023 1st and table scaps
That was an insanely one-sided trade for Dallas. Emptying wasted roster spots and removing dead end contracts. 26 was likely to be a guy they stashed for year anyway.
Burke immediately opted into his deal meaning some sad team has to be pay him.
Hate losing Boban but my guess is HOU cuts him free and he is going to end up acting a lot it seems.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Pat Riley tries really hard to get rid of Duncan Robinson, which may mean a package deal to try for a disgruntled "star"

Miami hates draft picks so I've seen the fan rumors wanting Mitchell from the Jazz.
Robinson is a great fit for any spacing based team as the 6th man instant offense role.
But he is miscast as a full-time starter and makes about 3M too much per season IMHO.

If Riley can package him for a legit star he has done great business.

ghst187

Reaction score
What do y’all think about Chet Holmgren? Will he be a good pro?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am guessing the biggest stories(or non-stories) will be the mega-stars (LeBron and KD).
If they opt to stay in situations where they aren't truly competing for a title or force their way elsewhere.
Dame is worth watching and you have mentioned Beal --who almost certainly wants zero to do with the 5 teams who realistically could have cap space for him.

After that, Philly has so many assets and somehow yearly finds a way to make it all not fit.... Just no idea where they go but Philly likely keeps trying to adjust pieces to fit into a championship model.

MIA/DAL/BOS/PHX all sorta in a jumble for me. Good teams that could run it back virtually as is and think they just need to play a touch better when it matters most.

I am not listing Kyrie because his oddball nonsense has worn on me and feels like not worth the price of admission.
Celtics could be a possibility with Beal. Very close with Tatum. Wont be hard to match salaries in an S&T with Horford and either White or someone they aquire with the 17m trade exception. A couple young players out of the rotation, or at the end of it (Neismith, and/or Pritchard) should make up the rest of the contract value.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes. He is very like KP or Christian Wood. Should score and rebound well and provide some secondary rim protection but he is not a center and wont operate in paint much.

Skill level is very high for a big man.

KD is the dream but there's 1 KD.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Celtics could be a possibility with Beal. Very close with Tatum. Wont be hard to match salaries in an S&T with Horford and either White or someone they aquire with the 17m trade exception. A couple young players out of the rotation, or at the end of it (Neismith, and/or Pritchard) should make up the rest of the contract value.
I think he's just re-upping and collecting his checks but playing with schoolboy pal Tatum would be high up there is he didn't.
All that said, WAS isn't trading him to BOS for Horford and trash. They'd likely have to include one of the Williams' and a pick at minimum and WAS would start by asking for Brown or Smart. --This is the estimate from Boston area writers.

WAS has no real threat here as Beal isn't going to both take 64m less and play for one of the 5 or so teams that can realistically create even that much cap space. They'll get a good deal if he leaves.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I’m on the skeptical side. I think he’ll have a solid career as a contributing player because he is skilled but I don’t think he’s an alpha that you’re building a team around.

I’m just dubious of his physique. I know guys fill-out over time but he’s narrow shouldered, rail thin, and slightly plodding as an athlete (though I’m not saying he moves like Boban, Minute Bol, etc.).

Some 6’10” to 7’+ guys are just put together better athletically than other guys. The Serbian prospect Nikola Jovic is an example of a tall thinner guy that moves extremely well.

I’m open to being wrong but if I’m wagering I would put money on him not having the impact one would hope for in relation to where he’ll end up being drafted.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he's just re-upping and collecting his checks but playing with schoolboy pal Tatum would be high up there is he didn't.
All that said, WAS isn't trading him to BOS for Horford and trash. They'd likely have to include one of the Williams' and a pick at minimum and WAS would start by asking for Brown or Smart. --This is the estimate from Boston area writers.

WAS has no real threat here as Beal isn't going to both take 64m less and play for one of the 5 or so teams that can realistically create even that much cap space. They'll get a good deal if he leaves.
I only think Boston would go after him of he opts out and becomes a FA. If he did that Washington wouldnt have much choice. They would probably give them picks along with salary because Washington would still some leverage. I don't see Boston going after Beal if it costs them a core piece. Tbh, I think he is kind of overrated. He is better than Brown, but I wouldn't trade Brown for him straight up because Brown is a better fit and 4 younger. I wouldn't put him on the franchise player level

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m on the skeptical side. I think he’ll have a solid career as a contributing player because he is skilled but I don’t think he’s an alpha that you’re building a team around.

I’m just dubious of his physique. I know guys fill-out over time but he’s narrow shouldered, rail thin, and slightly plodding as an athlete (though I’m not saying he moves like Boban, Minute Bol, etc.).

Some 6’10” to 7’+ guys are just put together better athletically than other guys. The Serbian prospect Nikola Jovic is an example of a tall thinner guy that moves extremely well.

I’m open to being wrong but if I’m wagering I would put money on him not having the impact one would hope for in relation to where he’ll end up being drafted.
My guess is if OKC takes him #2, he becomes a huge star. The front will make alot of very bad decisions, and eventually he will leave because his team can't win. Okc fans will be big mad about this for a very very very long time

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I only think Boston would go after him of he opts out and becomes a FA. If he did that Washington wouldnt have much choice. They would probably give them picks along with salary because Washington would still some leverage. I don't see Boston going after Beal if it costs them a core piece. Tbh, I think he is kind of overrated. He is better than Brown, but I wouldn't trade Brown for him straight up because Brown is a better fit and 4 younger. I wouldn't put him on the franchise player level
He's 100% opting out but his free agency will run through WAS because no one else can sign him to max dollars.

nbcsports boston:::

"Bradley Beal makes $64 more million if he opts out of his contract and then re-signs in Washington," McDonough said on NBC Sports Boston's Early Edition, as seen in the video above. "He can do a five-year extension with the Wizards. That's the only team in the league he can sign for that length with."

Beal said recently has made his mind up about his playing future but declined to reveal his decision. Since players technically can't negotiate with other teams until free agency begins on June 30, that likely means Beal has decided to re-up with Washington.

Even if Beal opts out and becomes a free agent, Boston's best path to acquire Beal would be via a sign-and-trade, since taking on his $36.4 million salary for 2022-23 would force the C's to part with several core players."If Beal wanted to force his way to Boston and the Wizards were willing to cooperate, a sign-and-trade is the clear path," McDonough noted. "Other than that, Boston would have to gut its entire roster other than Tatum and maybe (Jaylen) Brown."

What might a sign-and-trade deal for Beal look like?

"Al Horford's contract would probably be in there -- $26.5 million on an expiring deal," McDonough added. "And then what does Washington want? Do they want Robert Williams, Grant Williams, draft picks? Those are Boston's most valuable assets outside of Tatum and Brown."

The possibility of a Tatum-Brown-Beal trio is very enticing. Beal led the Eastern Conference in scoring two seasons ago (31.3 points per game) and would give the Celtics three high-level scorers.

But the Wizards could demand either Brown or Marcus Smart in a return package for their franchise player, who turns 29 later this month and underwent season-ending wrist surgery in February. That might be too steep a price for Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, who has a talented young core that just lifted the team to its first NBA Finals berth since 2010.

Beal might make sense for the C's at some point, but McDonough doesn't see the three-time All-Star coming to Boston anytime soon.

ghst187

Reaction score

yeah I tend to agree. I mean he could be like KD style game but I just don’t see him as explosive an athlete to develop the nba wing game like that. Gobert was a tall skinny guy too but without the range so who knows. I wouldn’t want to draft him too 3 because I could see him being a JAG contributor just as easily as I could see him being all star. The other two guys who will go top 3 with him…I have a hard time foreseeing either NOT being all star level.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's 100% opting out but his free agency will run through WAS because no one else can sign him to max dollars.

nbcsports boston:::

"Bradley Beal makes $64 more million if he opts out of his contract and then re-signs in Washington," McDonough said on NBC Sports Boston's Early Edition, as seen in the video above. "He can do a five-year extension with the Wizards. That's the only team in the league he can sign for that length with."

Beal said recently has made his mind up about his playing future but declined to reveal his decision. Since players technically can't negotiate with other teams until free agency begins on June 30, that likely means Beal has decided to re-up with Washington.

Even if Beal opts out and becomes a free agent, Boston's best path to acquire Beal would be via a sign-and-trade, since taking on his $36.4 million salary for 2022-23 would force the C's to part with several core players."If Beal wanted to force his way to Boston and the Wizards were willing to cooperate, a sign-and-trade is the clear path," McDonough noted. "Other than that, Boston would have to gut its entire roster other than Tatum and maybe (Jaylen) Brown."

What might a sign-and-trade deal for Beal look like?

"Al Horford's contract would probably be in there -- $26.5 million on an expiring deal," McDonough added. "And then what does Washington want? Do they want Robert Williams, Grant Williams, draft picks? Those are Boston's most valuable assets outside of Tatum and Brown."

The possibility of a Tatum-Brown-Beal trio is very enticing. Beal led the Eastern Conference in scoring two seasons ago (31.3 points per game) and would give the Celtics three high-level scorers.

But the Wizards could demand either Brown or Marcus Smart in a return package for their franchise player, who turns 29 later this month and underwent season-ending wrist surgery in February. That might be too steep a price for Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, who has a talented young core that just lifted the team to its first NBA Finals berth since 2010.

Beal might make sense for the C's at some point, but McDonough doesn't see the three-time All-Star coming to Boston anytime soon.
Personally I wouldn't deal the core players. Not for Beal when you just went to the finals and Horfords contract lets you salary match alot of good 3rd scorer types that push you over the top. Id being willing to let go of a good stash of picks, since our core is locked up long term and you, but of they balk Id look elsewhere. Id personally be willing to give them Horford, White ( or TPE if they can do a three way since White makes about the same as the TPE), three FRP's, and Neismith and Pritchard since they will probably be needed to salary match (36.4 could be wrong. Ive seen a first year figure of 42 somewhere)

I usually be able to give that up for a player of Beal's caliber (I think he is closer to Prime Kemba than elite), but since that makes you at least amoung the top 3 title favorites for the next 4 to 5 years, Id be willing to do it here. If they balk, I dont call back and start calling about Brogdon, Rozier, John Collins, Jeremi Grant, and Sabonis. Those caliber players could be good enough to push us over