NBA Offseason Thread

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yeah I tend to agree. I mean he could be like KD style game but I just don’t see him as explosive an athlete to develop the nba wing game like that. Gobert was a tall skinny guy too but without the range so who knows. I wouldn’t want to draft him too 3 because I could see him being a JAG contributor just as easily as I could see him being all star. The other two guys who will go top 3 with him…I have a hard time foreseeing either NOT being all star level.
I wouldn't compare him to Durant. He isnt a wing, and not a generational talent. He is a 5 that might be able to play some 4. I see kind of a mash up between Al Horford and Rudy Gobert in his game. Intelligent defender with an other worldly wingspan (7"6 I think). Very good shooter for his size, so at minimum he should be a stretch big on offense. Definitely has to put on good weight. If not he could end up being a 60 game a year guy.

All in all I think he is the best pick for OKC. They arent doing anything this year, so there isnt any reason why they cant give him 30 minutes a game. Id take him #1 in this draft. I think he is the only one of the top 3 that has All NBA upside.

ghst187

Reaction score
I wouldn't compare him to Durant. He isnt a wing, and not a generational talent. He is a 5 that might be able to play some 4. I see kind of a mash up between Al Horford and Rudy Gobert in his game. Intelligent defender with an other worldly wingspan (7"6 I think). Very good shooter for his size, so at minimum he should be a stretch big on offense. Definitely has to put on good weight. If not he could end up being a 60 game a year guy.

All in all I think he is the best pick for OKC. They arent doing anything this year, so there isnt any reason why they cant give him 30 minutes a game. Id take him #1 in this draft. I think he is the only one of the top 3 that has All NBA upside.

really? I compared him to KD bc from his interviews it sounded like he wants to play 3-4

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics supposedly trying to move into the late first. Pritchard and Williams are names being floated around. @Nav22 @CalPolyTechnique the rumor is they may trade with GSW at 28. What do you think about Williams and Pritchard? Both guys would be good fits.

Williams is a guy I would hate to trade, alot of utility there. 6'6 with good feet and long arms, he can defend most people on the court. He isnt a guy I want to trade, because he is that of rotational player that has more value to you than what you would get back in a trade. Pritchard is a good fit in Kerr's system. I think his value would be that he might be able to give Steph some rest nights during the season. He had a good playoff run before struggling in the finals, however at this stage I don't know if he is a real rotational player on a contender

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
oh I agree. Frankly he interviews like he’s a tick slow mentally too.
I wouldn't put much into that, he is a pretty cerebral player. He will be a very good defender out of the gate, and could become elite. Id take him #1 because he is the only guy I think has an shot at being All NBA caliber. Smith, Banchero and Ivey will all be very good players, but I think all 3 will be more All Star 2 caliber players. Holmgren is flawed, and he has to grow into it ( pun intended), but I think he is the only player in this draft has franchise potential

ghst187

Reaction score
I wouldn't put much into that, he is a pretty cerebral player. He will be a very good defender out of the gate, and could become elite. Id take him #1 because he is the only guy I think has an shot at being All NBA caliber. Smith, Banchero and Ivey will all be very good players, but I think all 3 will be more All Star 2 caliber players. Holmgren is flawed, and he has to grow into it ( pun intended), but I think he is the only player in this draft has franchise potential

I think Chet has huge bust potential while Paolo and Smith seem to be can’t miss prospects.
Other than John Stockton, Gonzaga players haven’t been exactly overwhelming in the NBA.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good to see the Spurs basically took a Fart in a Box with the pick we gave up for White

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't deal the core players. Not for Beal when you just went to the finals and Horfords contract lets you salary match alot of good 3rd scorer types that push you over the top. Id being willing to let go of a good stash of picks, since our core is locked up long term and you, but of they balk Id look elsewhere. Id personally be willing to give them Horford, White ( or TPE if they can do a three way since White makes about the same as the TPE), three FRP's, and Neismith and Pritchard since they will probably be needed to salary match (36.4 could be wrong. Ive seen a first year figure of 42 somewhere)

I usually be able to give that up for a player of Beal's caliber (I think he is closer to Prime Kemba than elite), but since that makes you at least amoung the top 3 title favorites for the next 4 to 5 years, Id be willing to do it here. If they balk, I dont call back and start calling about Brogdon, Rozier, John Collins, Jeremi Grant, and Sabonis. Those caliber players could be good enough to push us over
Horford's expiring contract could get you someone like Hayward. But it's not going to get a star player. You'd have to attach a real asset to the mix. BOS is really good and the draft picks are low return because of that so you'd likely need to include a rotation player on a good salary with at least a couple years of team control left.

If they go after Beal that would a final move type deal. Meant to put them over the top. BOS would pay if they believed that.

I tend to agree with you that Beal is probably a bit overrated. He's a good scoring option but not the most efficient guy or best 2-way player.
Right now if I am MIA/DAL/BOS/PHX the young also rans, I am waiting to see how KD and LeBron shake out. Those are worth going big for.
Everyone else on the market tops out at good but not a dominant player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Horford's expiring contract could get you someone like Hayward. But it's not going to get a star player. You'd have to attach a real asset to the mix. BOS is really good and the draft picks are low return because of that so you'd likely need to include a rotation player on a good salary with at least a couple years of team control left.

If they go after Beal that would a final move type deal. Meant to put them over the top. BOS would pay if they believed that.

I tend to agree with you that Beal is probably a bit overrated. He's a good scoring option but not the most efficient guy or best 2-way player.
Right now if I am MIA/DAL/BOS/PHX the young also rans, I am waiting to see how KD and LeBron shake out. Those are worth going big for.
Everyone else on the market tops out at good but not a dominant player.
Miami is weird because they are young, but their franchise player is 32. Thats another tip of the cap to Spoelstra for making that work. I think KD and Butler would be a good match. Butler has had his issues not meshing with people in the past, but in Chicago and Minnesota it was more him demanding work from his teammate that he didnt get. Both he and KD, eat sleep and breath ball. If KD takes that 3 (Butler shot like .233% from 3), Boston probably doesnt go the the finals

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Miami is weird because they are young, but their franchise player is 32. Thats another tip of the cap to Spoelstra for making that work. I think KD and Butler would be a good match. Butler has had his issues not meshing with people in the past, but in Chicago and Minnesota it was more him demanding work from his teammate that he didnt get. Both he and KD, eat sleep and breath ball. If KD takes that 3 (Butler shot like .233% from 3), Boston probably doesnt go the the finals
KD is a great fit literally anywhere.
It will be interesting to see what he decides and where he wants to go.
The team who has the most assets toward getting him is ironically OKC. Brooklyn would be in a total rebuild minus KD/Kyrie and looking to dump any repeater tax.

MIA was pretty old last year. They added some very veteran help as rentals but Buttler and Lowry up front are aged as well.
Ironically the key young guys (Herro aside) are overpaid: Bam and Duncan
So tough to see a straight MIA/BRK deal working. Would likely need a 3rd team.
But KD is worth whatever it takes.
In this era of basketball he is the ideal player.
He can guard the post, score in the post and guard, score on the wings.
It's just a matter of how long you can keep him healthy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Chet has huge bust potential while Paolo and Smith seem to be can’t miss prospects.
Other than John Stockton, Gonzaga players haven’t been exactly overwhelming in the NBA.
Chet at worst is a KP type. He's gonna score and rebound in his sleep and he can provide off ball shot blocking galore...
Question is can he add good weight and stay on the floor more.
Move his feet enough to stay out of foul trouble.
His dream upside is KD but he can fall quite a bit short of that and still be the best player in this draft class.
I can absolutely see him winning rookie of the year next year.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I guess I'm okay with my Spurs picks. Strong defensive guy, strong offensive guy, and one wild card! LOL

Getting discouraging though that the team that found Ginobilli and Parker so late in the draft can't hit on any foreign players like that again. The team that found one of the best NBA players of his generation in Kawhi so late in the 1st still not finding someone with all these first round picks.

Yeah, Dejounte Murray is turning into one of these guys, but so many picks as of late, I hope they can find the nucleus. A lot of other teams doing it. Now or never for Pop.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Celtics supposedly trying to move into the late first. Pritchard and Williams are names being floated around. @Nav22 @CalPolyTechnique the rumor is they may trade with GSW at 28. What do you think about Williams and Pritchard? Both guys would be good fits.

Williams is a guy I would hate to trade, alot of utility there. 6'6 with good feet and long arms, he can defend most people on the court. He isnt a guy I want to trade, because he is that of rotational player that has more value to you than what you would get back in a trade. Pritchard is a good fit in Kerr's system. I think his value would be that he might be able to give Steph some rest nights during the season. He had a good playoff run before struggling in the finals, however at this stage I don't know if he is a real rotational player on a contender

Must have missed this (my bad). Pritchard would have made some sense and could be a replacement for Choiza. Both Williams and Pritchard would have been 11-12th guy off the bench though (assuming we resign GPII).

Starting 5…

Bench
:
Poole
Wiseman
GPII
Kuminga
Moody

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I guess I'm okay with my Spurs picks. Strong defensive guy, strong offensive guy, and one wild card! LOL

Getting discouraging though that the team that found Ginobilli and Parker so late in the draft can't hit on any foreign players like that again. The team that found one of the best NBA players of his generation in Kawhi so late in the 1st still not finding someone with all these first round picks.

Yeah, Dejounte Murray is turning into one of these guys, but so many picks as of late, I hope they can find the nucleus. A lot of other teams doing it. Now or never for Pop.
Spurs are in a tough spot. Murray is a good player but he is not a superstar. they either hit on a superstar or develop 3-4 guys at the Ginobli type level which Pop can do in time but as you mention does he have that energy and that time.

Much harder to find Euro gems when they are going in the top 5 if they really play.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spurs are in a tough spot. Murray is a good player but he is not a superstar. they either hit on a superstar or develop 3-4 guys at the Ginobli type level which Pop can do in time but as you mention does he have that energy and that time.

Much harder to find Euro gems when they are going in the top 5 if they really play.
They are looking for a Jrue Holiday like package for Murray supposedly. He is making less than 17 million on average the next two years. I'd love for the C's to through their hat in the ring, but I dont think we can put a package together that they will want.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Various:

Mavs---
No idea if Knicks can edge past Dallas to get Jalen Brunson but there are ties galore even beyond his Dad as asst Coach.
Is Jalen ready for a lead role and to be back in the northeast? I think so.
Is he ready to sign up for a Knicks team that seems more play in then Conf Finals? Tougher question to answer given he says winning is his top priority (tho don't they all).
Mavs only real move is likely to be the tax MLE. BUT at trade deadline I could see one of THJ/Dinwiddie moved.
Biggest asset is rotation spots to offer. DAL could be a player or two deeper for sure.

Knicks---
Getting Jalen would be nice but not sure getting him at 30M per is good. He's a 6'1" guy and that isn't changing.
Not getting Jalen would seem criminal after the draft moves.
Kyrie is out there but who wants to jump on that grenade?
Good teams operate over the cap. The Knicks are going to have to get players and go over but selecting the players is the hardest part. Dealing with a Dallas Cowboys-like drought they need to find a way.

Lakers---
They gotta pick a direction.
Starts with AD. Does that dude love basketball or not? They gotta either build around him or move him quick for the best possible assets. Lakers get advantage of knowing his health status.
LBJ is going to call his own shots but he's either a Clipper or Laker to me. He's too invested in the LA scene and lifestyle now. His agent needs to stop leaking any other rumors as he is not creating any fear in the Lakerland front office and it looks desperate.
ZERO idea why they traded for Westbrook as that was always going to be goofy. Now zero idea how they move on as he isn't taking a low ball buy out. He wants his money and he loves living in LA. He just doesn't fit this current modern game.

Beal---
The WAS max extension was always happening IMO. He will make so much money and they pay him all that regardless of results....
Once he signs that deal he becomes all but untradeable. Russ part 2.

KD---
Main guy to watch in all this as he is the one likely available dude who could make someone an instant Title Favorite.
Feels like OKC will need to be involved to get BRK enough picks to make this possible but teams are 100% table topping now how to get that package together I promise.

BOS/MIA/PHX/DAL --Last year's serious contenders should all monitor KD.

PHX--- Need to decide if they move Ayton quickly or hold out to see what happens with KD. Tough deal for them.

PHI--- Less certain than ever of what they are doing at any given time. So much talent but so always going one direction than pivot another. Not sure a team in 2020+ can win a title with their big man as the lead dog tbh. Feel like with all that talent they gotta break through at some point.