NCAA 2018 College Football

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's they stupid 3-3-5 system they had ran. They've never had a great defense since the old days. Not everyone in the country gets players like Texas, bama and such so it's easier to look for the 3 star athletes that fit a scheme.
The 3-3-5 is the defense of choice versus spread Air Raid attacks and essentially EVERY Big 12 team is running it.
Not being able to run it in this conference would get you killed.
It has been why Iowa State turned it around.

WVU had recruited a monster DL and was playing great defense before he was injured.

WVU def took for granted being a top 4 team routinely. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
Holgersen kinda stayed on thin ice and that team loses a lot of key talent this year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
5 years 20 mil. Nice

Houston pushing hard to eventually get in the Big 12.

Of course, the main road block is that the conference already has 4 Texas teams. That's tough

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
5 years 20 mil. Nice

Houston pushing hard to eventually get in the Big 12.

Of course, the main road block is that the conference already has 4 Texas teams. That's tough
Main road block is UT/OU don't wanna add anyone that can land more Houston area recruits.
But B12 has been woefully short-sighted this entire time.

HOU would be a good add and I'd add Tulane, UCF, USF.
Add Louisiana and Florida for a broader recruiting profile.
Games in Houston, Tampa, Orlando and New Orleans?? No brainer... but they are making a zillion dollars a year as a smaller conference and OU/UT can recruit just fine as is so they say forget everyone else....

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
The 3-3-5 is the defense of choice versus spread Air Raid attacks and essentially EVERY Big 12 team is running it.
Not being able to run it in this conference would get you killed.
It has been why Iowa State turned it around.

WVU had recruited a monster DL and was playing great defense before he was injured.

WVU def took for granted being a top 4 team routinely. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
Holgersen kinda stayed on thin ice and that team loses a lot of key talent this year.

Holgerson can't coach up talent. He can install any air raid system he wants but without the key QB you can't win. The QB before Grier set team records but couldn't throw open receivers. Holgerson had more than a few QB's he recruited but all were changed to WR or quit the team or both.

I'm not a huge fan of the 3-3-5 I don't think you have to play that defense to stop the spread. It might help contain it a little better but I'm not a fan.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Holgerson can't coach up talent. He can install any air raid system he wants but without the key QB you can't win. The QB before Grier set team records but couldn't throw open receivers. Holgerson had more than a few QB's he recruited but all were changed to WR or quit the team or both.

Happily, Holgs will be taking over a team that has a QB in D'Eriq King who led the nation in points responsible for (regular season): 36 tds passing, 14 rushing. :cool:

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Happily, Holgs will be taking over a team that has a QB in D'Eriq King who led the nation in points responsible for (regular season): 36 tds passing, 14 rushing. :cool:

Good luck, I really hope he does good for you but I've watched him coach the last 8 years. I hope you like going for it on fourth down inside your 30. You will have no need for a kicker.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Good luck, I really hope he does good for you but I've watched him coach the last 8 years. I hope you like going for it on fourth down inside your 30. You will have no need for a kicker.

If he's running the same offense he ran here as Sumlin's OC I'll be thrilled.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I'm not a huge fan of the 3-3-5 I don't think you have to play that defense to stop the spread. It might help contain it a little better but I'm not a fan.
I def think you guys took Holgy for granted.
Winning 8 and 9 games a year in the Big 12 is hard.
WVU has been about the 6th best recruiting team in the Big 12.
From 2013 through 2017 that 5 year stretch aw WVA ranked 49th in recruiting. Houston ranked 2 spots higher.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...nkings-last-five-years-alabama-auburn-florida

The jump from the Big East was large one.

The 3-3-5 single-handedly got Kliff Kingsbury fired. I kid you not.
Tech averaged about 150 yards passing per game more versus non 3-3-5 teams the past 2 seasons.
That 3 double cloud was just death to KK's Air Raid.

All in all I think Holgy can coach and Tech fans were plenty peeved when Tech didn't want him.
Wouldn't even sniff him for some reason.

HOU is a career making job because there is no better city to recruit in and they play beatable opponents. There's 150 D1 caliber kids a year and double digit future NFLers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My picks today in four good games were

Alabama
Auburn
Oregon
Georgia

but really, these games are pretty hard to predict for several reasons