NCAA : Athletes CAN profit

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not true. Only in the NFL are kids required to wait 3 years of college eligibility. And that’s the NFL rules not the NCAA.

Over 90% of these kids are dependent on the college education which is ample compensation . The rest will be fully compensated once they turn professional.

I'm always stunned by the level of jealousy and pettiness of folks who begrudge others money and opportunity. The landscape is changing and I guess you'll just have to adapt. Your argument is antiquated and the NCAA agrees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your points would make more sense if the schools are paying them, which they won't be. Not one dollar would be coming from the school. So saying, they should pay for their own tuition and such is very nonsensical. This eliminates the NCAA and the schools from being the only ones to profit off of the kids. Furthermore, the schools need the players just as much if not more than the students need the university. That's why the schools spend so much money in recruiting. A lot of the kids who you state should just be happy with a free education might not have been to college, but someone OFFERED the scholarship in exchange for your abilities to help the school win in a sport, not to own your likeness. Stop painting the picture as if the schools are just being so charitable to offer these poor kids something.
Full scholarships is quite a charitable offering which for four years at some schools including room and board is in the neighborhood of 150-200 grand. Not bad. Probably more than some Minor leagues if they decided to go play baseball instead out of high school.

Which brings up the bigger issue. The NFL doesn’t want these kids out of high school so what would these kids do if not for the NCAA? MLB and NBA will sign them right out of high school. NFL chooses not to.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
That’s not true. Only in the NFL are kids required to wait 3 years of college eligibility. And that’s the NFL rules not the NCAA.

Over 90% of these kids are dependent on the college education which is ample compensation . The rest will be fully compensated once they turn professional.

You’re making a straw man argument. I never said anything about 3 years

And current rules don’t allow players to go to the NBA without at least 1 year.

And with the NFL and NBA there is no alternative out of high school to get developed. If we were talking about MLB players, I’d agree. No one is forcing them to accept scholarships and there is a PAID alternative

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm always stunned by the level of jealousy and pettiness of folks who begrudge others money and opportunity. The landscape is changing and I guess you'll just have to adapt. Your argument is antiquated and the NCAA agrees.
It’s not changing that much. Only a couple bad apples who didn’t get their payday in professional ranks. And again this is being driven by NFL who doesn’t want these kids at 17 or 18.

You watch how this goes down . If California is only state and NCAA declares them ineligible those schools won’t be able to recruit athletes.

4 years, 2023, is a long time for this issue to deflate and or be challenged in the courts if NCAA rules against it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re making a straw man argument. I never said anything about 3 years

And current rules don’t allow players to go to the NBA without at least 1 year.

And with the NFL and NBA there is no alternative out of high school to get developed. If we were talking about MLB players, I’d agree. No one is forcing them to accept scholarships and there is a PAID alternative
So, why doesn’t the NFL want them out of high school?

NCAA is providing these student athletes a venue they wouldn’t otherwise have.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Full scholarships is quite a charitable offering which for four years at some schools including room and board is in the neighborhood of 150-200 grand. Not bad. Probably more than some Minor leagues if they decided to go play baseball instead out of high school.

Which brings up the bigger issue. The NFL doesn’t want these kids out of high school so what would these kids do if not for the NCAA? MLB and NBA will sign them right out of high school. NFL chooses not to.
But your argument falls apart at "charitable". It's not charity. It's for the exchange of playing a sport. Also, who sets the price of the cost of attendance? Do you really believe that just because a school charges the average student $30,000 a year to attend that it actually costs the school $30,000 a year for any student to attend? You are basing your number on an inflated figure that the school makes up. I am still not sure why any numbers from the school even matters. The school is NOT paying them anything in this new proposition. You basically want the kids to stay broke just because that's the way its always been done. I can sort of see what you are saying if somehow money was being diverted from the schools pockets to pay the student athletes, but its not (although I'd probably disagree there too). Once again, the school doesn't own their image and likeness so if someone wants to hook the kid up for marketing purposes there should be no issue.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So, why doesn’t the NFL want them out of high school?

NCAA is providing these student athletes a venue they wouldn’t otherwise have.

What the NFL wants is irrelevant to whether or not they deserve to be paid.

and the unique venue they provide, is possible due to the advantage they have built via a free work force and tax payer dollars

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What the NFL wants is irrelevant to whether or not they deserve to be paid.

and the unique venue they provide, is possible due to the advantage they have built via a free work force and tax payer dollars
Of course it’s relevant. Without the NFL there is no venue for them to aspire too. It’s the NFL which is ultimately controlling this situation. The NCAA is just a conduit.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Of course it’s relevant. Without the NFL there is no venue for them to aspire too. It’s the NFL which is ultimately controlling this situation. The NCAA is just a conduit.

its irrelevant because the NFL could keep the rule the same if there was another feeder system that didn’t exploit athletes less than 3 years from their high school graduation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But your argument falls apart at "charitable". It's not charity. It's for the exchange of playing a sport. Also, who sets the price of the cost of attendance? Do you really believe that just because a school charges the average student $30,000 a year to attend that it actually costs the school $30,000 a year for any student to attend? You are basing your number on an inflated figure that the school makes up. I am still not sure why any numbers from the school even matters. The school is NOT paying them anything in this new proposition. You basically want the kids to stay broke just because that's the way its always been done. I can sort of see what you are saying if somehow money was being diverted from the schools pockets to pay the student athletes, but its not (although I'd probably disagree there too). Once again, the school doesn't own their image and likeness so if someone wants to hook the kid up for marketing purposes there should be no issue.
I’m not sure we are fully appreciating what a full scholarship means especially for many of these student athletes who probably wouldn’t be afforded an opportunity otherwise.

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I’m guessing you haven’t attended or paid for your children’s attendance to a Major university to fully appreciate what a full scholarship means especially for many of these student athletes who probably wouldn’t be afforded an opportunity otherwise.
Whether that's true or not doesn't change the fact that it's not charity. Nor does it change the fact that true "cost" and "value" of the scholarship are irrelevant to what's being proposed. The schools aren't paying the kids. You can't seem to get past that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whether that's true or not doesn't change the fact that it's not charity. Nor does it change the fact that true "cost" and "value" of the scholarship are irrelevant to what's being proposed. The schools aren't paying the kids. You can't seem to get past that.
The point is maintaining their Amateur status. Which can’t be done if they’re receiving compensation for endorsements.

I see the very expensive scholarships as compensation.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
its irrelevant because the NFL could keep the rule the same if there was another feeder system that didn’t exploit athletes less than 3 years from their high school graduation.
The NFL could flip their rule at any time just like the NBA has if they felt these athletes could help them win now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NCAA provides a tremendous mechanism for these student athletes playing football to extend their playing days from high school allowing them a fully paid education they can carry the rest of their lives and for a select few the opportunity to continue professionally.

All you are required to do is maintain your Amateur status according to the NCAA. Not much of a sacrifice to set yourself up for life professionally or provide a livelihood outside of sports.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The point is maintaining their Amateur status. Which can’t be done if they’re receiving compensation for endorsements.

I see the very expensive scholarships as compensation.
The NCAA is the one defining what "amateur status" is. Olympic athletes are considered amateurs and they get paid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NCAA is the one defining what "amateur status" is. Olympic athletes are considered amateurs and they get paid.
I certainly don’t consider Olympic athletes Amateur any longer. Not sure who would with professional athletes participating.

And your right . The NCAA has defined what Amateur status is. And I believe some tweaks are needed.

Getting paid for endorsements is not one I’d agree with because they are representing the university. Without that allegiance to the school they wouldn’t be in demand.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The NFL could flip their rule at any time just like the NBA has if they felt these athletes could help them win now.

which again, I’ll point out is irrelevant to whether the NCAA should pay athletes they make millions off of.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Without that allegiance to the school they wouldn’t be in demand.

Which is because the NCAA has the largest platform. They are able to pay the majority of their workers nothing and over spend on training staff, coaching staff and medical staff. Take away that advantage and one of three things will happen.

1.) The NCAA remains the premier feeder system for pro football/basketball.
2.) NCAA football/basketball start to resemble NCAA baseball and the NFL/NBA are forced to beef up their developmental leagues
3.) A different feeder system emerges (won’t really happen because the NFL/NBA wouldn’t want to give a rival league a foothold)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
which again, I’ll point out is irrelevant to whether the NCAA should pay athletes they make millions off of.
Apparently you don't believe in the Amateur status of student athletes. And I wouldn’t reinvent the wheel for a few exceptions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which is because the NCAA has the largest platform. They are able to pay the majority of their workers nothing and over spend on training staff, coaching staff and medical staff. Take away that advantage and one of three things will happen.

1.) The NCAA remains the premier feeder system for pro football/basketball.
2.) NCAA football/basketball start to resemble NCAA baseball and the NFL/NBA are forced to beef up their developmental leagues
3.) A different feeder system emerges (won’t really happen because the NFL/NBA wouldn’t want to give a rival league a foothold)
I believe it’s an awesome mechanism for most student athletes to gain an education. All of this fuss for a very small portion of athletes who will receive their payday when they turn professional.

Personally I love college sports and the level of talent and competition it presents. And prefer them being the feeder system.

But there’s select few who probably don’t appreciate these years in college gaining an education which would benefit them regardless if they go on to play professionally or not.

Last edited: