NCAA men's basketball thread

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It has come down to ... who can put together the best AAU team this year?

Reminds me of 'Dads' stacking youth sports teams.

That's pretty much what it is. AAU Coaches have more power then ever before in College Basketball. These kids now decide to all go to one school in an attempt to put together a team that can win it in a one and done and the AAU Coaches have a lot of power in that situation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's pretty much what it is. AAU Coaches have more power then ever before in College Basketball. These kids now decide to all go to one school in an attempt to put together a team that can win it in a one and done and the AAU Coaches have a lot of power in that situation.

It's ruining the sport IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Have to say that I agree BDC. I really, really dislike the whole one and done idea. I just think it does nothing positive for the players or the sport and has so many negative effects for the large majority of players. The whole AAU thing is out of control IMO.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have to say that I agree BDC. I really, really dislike the whole one and done idea. I just think it does nothing positive for the players or the sport and has so many negative effects for the large majority of players. The whole AAU thing is out of control IMO.

The vast majority of people who just like basketball and like to watch basketball have no idea what is really going on behind the scenes. I'm raising BDC Jr to always root for the underdogs for a reason. You should have seen how excited he was when those 14 seeds won.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The vast majority of people who just like basketball and like to watch basketball have no idea what is really going on behind the scenes. I'm raising BDC Jr to always root for the underdogs for a reason. You should have seen how excited he was when those 14 seeds won.

That's why I love the Tourney. I love to see Sampson taking down Goliath (with the exception of when the role of Goliath is being played by UNC, of course).

:laugh:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score

I don't know if it is ruining anything, but that is the way it is now. The landscape of college basketball had changed.

As highly as I think of the Duke program and Coach K, .. this has to be the emptiest championship ever.

When I think of Duke basketball ... I think of tradition, family, learning basketball and learning life together over the course of 4 years or so.
I think of watching them learn how to play Duke basketball, the Duke way.
To watch them show promise as a youngster and then watch them grow into a star in their 3rd or 4th season.
It has to be rewarding to coach and coach and coach, .. teach and teach and teach, and watch them grow, .. on the court and off.
This year, Freshman .. who have been at Duke a few mere months, scored 60 of their 68 points in the championship game.

Nothing more than a glorified AAU team.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
That is the new way though, as unfortunate as that might be. Given the way social media and message boards give fans many places to crap on their coaches and rip their teams if they do not win, it is no surprise that a coach at a big name school, wants to win right now and will bring in one and dones to do so. If you coach at Gonzaga, who cares if you don't win, you are pretty much a peion fan base wise and play in a crappy conference but if you are Kansas, UNC, Dook, UCLA, Kentucky, if you don't win, you are at risk of being tar and feathered at best, crucified with rusty nails at worst.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I don't know if it is ruining anything, but that is the way it is now. The landscape of college basketball had changed.

As highly as I think of the Duke program and Coach K, .. this has to be the emptiest championship ever.

When I think of Duke basketball ... I think of tradition, family, learning basketball and learning life together over the course of 4 years or so.
I think of watching them learn how to play Duke basketball, the Duke way.
To watch them show promise as a youngster and then watch them grow into a star in their 3rd or 4th season.
It has to be rewarding to coach and coach and coach, .. teach and teach and teach, and watch them grow, .. on the court and off.
This year, Freshman .. who have been at Duke a few mere months, scored 60 of their 68 points in the championship game.

Nothing more than a glorified AAU team.

You find this in college football as well, the biggest and best programs almost always get the best players and they usually (though there are exceptions) trounce the lesser programs.

What we usually watch is the best programs playing for the national championship against the other best programs.

At least we have the salary cap in the NFL to even the odds but college sports will never be fair.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

AAU is hurting the sport in more ways than one... not only do the coaches have the power to push a player in the direction of a school, but player pledge allegiance to a sneaker company before they even get to college. Not to mention the fundamentals of the game get lost in the AAU tourneys where everyone is trying to showcase their skills, instead of honing them.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I definitely think that the NCAA along with the NBA should change stipulations and the rules about who is eligible to play professionally and how and when a college basketball player can go pro.

I think they should follow the exact same rules that are practiced in college baseball. If a kid is drafted right out of high school, and that is an "if", by a big league team and decides to go into their farm system right out of high school then that is okay. However, if a kid is drafted and decides that he wants to go play baseball in college, then they must play and stay in college for three years.

That pretty much solves the problems with what is occurring in college basketball. If you want to go pro early then you can do it right out of high school if you are good enough to be drafted. Even if you are drafted and decide to forgo playing professionally right out of high school then you can go play in college but you can't leave until you have three years in. It gives the kid the choice to do what is best for them at the same time putting the student back in the term student-athlete.

It's only been recent that Duke and K have really went for the one and done players. But the program has adapted because in reality that is the only way that you can compete in how it is now.

I know Carolina has dealt with basketball players leaving early for years. It wasn't really the one and done but it was more like the two and done for us. Next year Carolina will be chalked full of seniors that have grown up in the program together while Kentucky just had a press conference with 7 of their players announcing that they are leaving early for the draft.

It is crazy indeed how the game has changed.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
on top of everything that has been mentioned... They need to change their outdated rules... NBA rules, or at the least FIBA rules.