NCAAF gets it wrong again

kskboys

Reaction score
ND didn't belong, of that there is no doubt. OKLA was not the 4th best team.

How do you explain placing ALA in last year even though they didn't earn it, using the saying "they were one of the best 4 teams" as your excuse, and then the very next year put in two teams who are not among the best 4?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How do you explain placing ALA in last year even though they didn't earn it, using the saying "they were one of the best 4 teams" as your excuse, and then the very next year put in two teams who are not among the best 4?

I think the committee caved. Whatever criticism they got last year for putting 2 SEC teams in the playoffs would have been 10x more if they had left out an undefeated ND team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s all political. They use the “ 4 best team” when it fits having big name teams in.

Remember though it’s mostly based on their poll rankings which doesn’t always represent the best teams. Rankings are often flawed pending when you lose, who you lose to or how much you lose to them.

But it’s better than no playoff system that we were stuck with before. It is what it is. At least the last 4 teams decide it on the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ohio State , Georgia, Ala and Clemson were probably 4 best teams.

But Georgia had their shot and blew it. Did we really want to see them play Ala again?

Then it comes down to Buckeyes or Sooners. Both 1 loss champions. Ohio St has won over in this situation before but they wanted Heisman in there.

In the end the best 2 teams are probably playing. Which is about as good as gets in Div1.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the committee caved. Whatever criticism they got last year for putting 2 SEC teams in the playoffs would have been 10x more if they had left out an undefeated ND team.
Right and where the politics comes in.

I feel more for Ohio St than Georgia. They had their shot. Plus we’ve never had a 2 loss team in final 4.

And that’s really the answer to Kevin’s question. Bama was only a 1 loss team. Georgia had 2 losses.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right and where the politics comes in.

I feel more for Ohio St than Georgia. They had their shot. Plus we’ve never had a 2 loss team in final 4.

And that’s really the answer to Kevin’s question. Bama was only a 1 loss team. Georgia had 2 losses.

Jumping UGA over OSU is no different than jumping OSU over ND. OSU had the worst loss and UGA had the #1 SOS.

Ren

Reaction score
They should just expand the playoffs so all the big conference winners automatically qualify. ACC, SEC, BIG 12, BIG 10, PAC 12 and Mountain west. Give the strongest 2 a bye or add 2 wildcards so ND has a chance to get inn.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jumping UGA over OSU is no different than jumping OSU over ND. OSU had the worst loss and UGA had the #1 SOS.
UGA had 2 losses including a non-competitive loss to LSU.
They had zero argument for inclusion.
ZERO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Should be a playoff system like D2, D3 etc. Anything else = corruption.
Literally like every other sport on every other level.

We would not except this for 9th grade kids sports.
Let everyone play,vote in a couple teams that "look" the best winner is champ?? good lord that is such trash.

They have reduced this to some gymnastics routine.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Notre Dame is 0-6 in BCS/NY6 bowls over the last 20 years. All losses have been by double digits. No one should've been surprised it happened again.

UCF had more business getting in than ND. They've won 25 straight, including a NY6 bowl win over the only team to beat Bama last season.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Notre Dame is 0-6 in BCS/NY6 bowls over the last 20 years. All losses have been by double digits. No one should've been surprised it happened again.

UCF had more business getting in than ND. They've won 25 straight, including a NY6 bowl win over the only team to beat Bama last season.
ND is kind of like the Cowboys. They get hyped when they play well but tend to come up short in the playoffs.

NCAA gets it wrong quite often not sure why anyone is surprised.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is kind of what I woudl do, but idk why you'd include the Mountain West? lol.

8 teams - 5 power conference champions and then 3 at large. This year, that gives you room for Ohio State, Georgia and UCF.

kskboys

Reaction score
Literally like every other sport on every other level.

We would not except this for 9th grade kids sports.
Let everyone play,vote in a couple teams that "look" the best winner is champ?? good lord that is such trash.

They have reduced this to some gymnastics routine.
Ooooooh, I'm going to steal that!!! A gymnastics routine!!!!!!!!

Oh, and not to be missed. The ratings completely tanked in the two BCS games.

I'm interested to see what they'll be in this final. I have no interest in it myself.

I've been asking people when the championship game is, and no one even knows!!!! I've asked about a dozen sports fans so far, and one guy said he thought it was Monday. Most are saying they have no clue!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
W/o playing the games, there is absolutely no fair way to determine the best.

Plus, an expanded playoff system would increase recruiting talent dramatically. So, that Geo team that was one play away from beating Bama suddenly has a couple more talented players that allows it to happen.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ohio State , Georgia, Ala and Clemson were probably 4 best teams.

But Georgia had their shot and blew it. Did we really want to see them play Ala again?

Then it comes down to Buckeyes or Sooners. Both 1 loss champions. Ohio St has won over in this situation before but they wanted Heisman in there.

In the end the best 2 teams are probably playing. Which is about as good as gets in Div1.

UGA was actually the better team most of the game. I think they let up when Hurts came in and were shell shocked at how much he has improved since the NC game last year. Hurts could do nothing against them last year, if you recall. ....... In any case, the last 2 games between Bama and UGA have been awesome.

kskboys

Reaction score
UGA was actually the better team most of the game. I think they let up when Hurts came in and were shell shocked at how much he has improved since the NC game last year. Hurts could do nothing against them last year, if you recall. ....... In any case, the last 2 games between Bama and UGA have been awesome.
The Bama Clemson game has little interest for me. However, I would've been much more interested in a rematch between Geo and Bama.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Right or wrong, I don't even think it was a debate on whether or not the committee would have a top 3 ranked, undefeated Notre Dame team in.
You'd have to blame the polls too.

The question was between Oklahoma, Georgia, and Ohio State for the 4th spot.

I think Georgia was probably the 3rd best team this year, let alone the 4th. But I see the argument for OU to get in.

In the end, the two best teams will play for the title.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is kind of what I would do, but idk why you'd include the Mountain West? lol.

8 teams - 5 power conference champions and then 3 at large. This year, that gives you room for Ohio State, Georgia and UCF.
Yeah, generally the 6th rated conference is the American, not the MWC.

They'd do the power 5 and 3 at large, like you said.