NCAAF gets it wrong again

kskboys

Reaction score
Right or wrong, I don't even think it was a debate on whether or not the committee would have a top 3 ranked, undefeated Notre Dame team in.
You'd have to blame the polls too.

The question was between Oklahoma, Georgia, and Ohio State for the 4th spot.

I think Georgia was probably the 3rd best team this year, let alone the 4th. But I see the argument for OU to get in.

In the end, the two best teams will play for the title.
It's not that, DFW. It's the fact that they "put" ALA in last year after losing their championship game, using the argument of "They were one of 4 best teams in the country" argument.

However, this year they flipflopped. ND was easily not one of the 4 best teams in the country, but they put them in citing how they deserved it.

That is clearly changing parameters. The same rules should apply every year, but they did not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
W/o playing the games, there is absolutely no fair way to determine the best.

Plus, an expanded playoff system would increase recruiting talent dramatically. So, that Geo team that was one play away from beating Bama suddenly has a couple more talented players that allows it to happen.
But that’s how Div 1 has basically always been . It’s flawed . If you want to be considered for national championship from a big conference . Go undefeated or you’ll be at someone’s mercy.

We have yet to have 4 undefeated teams in final 4.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not that, DFW. It's the fact that they "put" ALA in last year after losing their championship game, using the argument of "They were one of 4 best teams in the country" argument.

However, this year they flipflopped. ND was easily not one of the 4 best teams in the country, but they put them in citing how they deserved it.

That is clearly changing parameters. The same rules should apply every year, but they did not.
They used that last year to put a 1 loss Bama in. If Dawgs would have had only one loss they would have been tougher to leave out. Plus we’ve never had a team with 2 losses.

The best 4 teams is just in name. That’s not actually the bottom line.

We all get worked up over all of this . Div 1 is never going to have a full sled playoff system . The schools want the Bowl games to reward their average seasons. As usual .. follow the money trail:)

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Bama Clemson game has little interest for me. However, I would've been much more interested in a rematch between Geo and Bama.
To each there own I suppose. To me Georgia had their shot and blew it. I wanna see if a couple other top teams can knock them off.

Bama and Clemson have been top 2 teams all year. Not sure why that’s not of interest? Both programs have been dominant in recent years.

Again, Div 1 will never leave us satisfied . It really never has with or without playoffs .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
UGA was actually the better team most of the game. I think they let up when Hurts came in and were shell shocked at how much he has improved since the NC game last year. Hurts could do nothing against them last year, if you recall. ....... In any case, the last 2 games between Bama and UGA have been awesome.
My comment would only be this. What an idiot call with fake punt. They deserved to lose. Stupid stupid

DFWJC

Reaction score

I’m just saying, that maybe in hindsight its clear that ND was not,but its not like they force-fitted them in.
All the polls had them in the top 4, so the vast majority out there DID think they belonged.
Again...right or wrong.

Plus, assuming they include ND in the power 5 grouping—which they do—then leaving them out would’ve been the first time they'd ever left out an undefeated power 5 team.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They can't find 4 teams and you guys want to expand to 8

It is already watered down putting repeats of the Conference Title games in play

The system is just fine....sometimes the Top 2 are just better and make anyone they play look bad

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m just saying, that maybe in hindsight its clear that ND was not,but its not like they force-fitted them in.
All the polls had them in the top 4, so the vast majority out there DID think they belonged.
Again...right or wrong.

Plus, assuming they include ND in the power 5 grouping—which they do—then leaving them out would’ve been the first time they'd ever left out an undefeated power 5 team.
This is an important component. They do arrive at the final 4 based on their rankings which revolves around their records.

If the Irish at 12-0 were undeserving then they shouldn’t have been ranked that high to begin with.

Leaving a power 5 undefeated team out would have been a first.

The only way to shake up the current model is for everyone to go undefeated in all power 5 conferences. Then there’d be a real controversy leaving one out.

But losing 1 or in this case 2 for Georgia leaves you at the mercy of the ones voting.

Undefeated has always carried more weight in Div 1.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
Or they should just let everyone else play their games and we’ll just have Clemson and Alabama play for the N.C. every year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I notice that even without their star QB, UCF is in a battle with LSU.
Who knows if they win, but after they beat Aburn in their bowl last year, theres no excuse for teams to say they took them lightly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or they should just let everyone else play their games and we’ll just have Clemson and Alabama play for the N.C. every year.
I’m ok with the top 2 ranked teams playing for it. Still better than what we used to have.

Only bad thing now is all these other bowls are meaningless.

New Years Day is a real bore .

cowboyec

Reaction score
committee got it right.
Alabama and Clemson were better.
You expand the play-off you cheapen the regular season.
We already have a play-off....it begins in october.
and it's not like Notre Dame DIDN'T play anybody.
Georgia had their shot.
This isnt hard....Bama and Clemson were better.
Id rather go back to the BCS...#1 vs #2.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well when looking at how many stupid bowl games there are now,hosting teams that have no business being put up on a pedestal,clearly integrity is an afterthought.

kskboys

Reaction score
committee got it right.
Alabama and Clemson were better.
You expand the play-off you cheapen the regular season.
We already have a play-off....it begins in october.
and it's not like Notre Dame DIDN'T play anybody.
Georgia had their shot.
This isnt hard....Bama and Clemson were better.
Id rather go back to the BCS...#1 vs #2.
That's like copied straight off BSPN!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
This is an important component. They do arrive at the final 4 based on their rankings which revolves around their records.

If the Irish at 12-0 were undeserving then they shouldn’t have been ranked that high to begin with.

Leaving a power 5 undefeated team out would have been a first.

The only way to shake up the current model is for everyone to go undefeated in all power 5 conferences. Then there’d be a real controversy leaving one out.

But losing 1 or in this case 2 for Georgia leaves you at the mercy of the ones voting.

Undefeated has always carried more weight in Div 1.
Oh, there's no doubt that ND wasn't that good. And therein lies my problem, Greg. Last year, they put ALA in when they didn't belong, citing the reason: "They were one of the 4 best teams in the country".

To me that's establishing parameters. However, this year, ND was not top 4, but they put them in anyway.

IMO, if you're going to use a set of reasoning, that reasoning should not change year to year.

cowboyec

Reaction score
That's like copied straight off BSPN!!!!!!
expand the play-off is dumb.
hell....just let everybody in.
Regular Season and Conference Championship outcomes matter.
Notre Dame earned their shot.
Clemson was better.
Ou fought back....Bama was better.
bring back the BCS.
there arent 8 or 10 or 12 teams that you can argue for.
Bama and Clemson are CLEARLY the 2 best.
let'm settle it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
how did Notre Dame NOT belong....going 12-0 beating Michigan,NWestern,Usc,Fsu,VaTech,Vandy...
not their fault usc,fsu and vatech had down years.
I dont see alotta cup-cakes there.
Clemson was better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, there's no doubt that ND wasn't that good. And therein lies my problem, Greg. Last year, they put ALA in when they didn't belong, citing the reason: "They were one of the 4 best teams in the country".

To me that's establishing parameters. However, this year, ND was not top 4, but they put them in anyway.

IMO, if you're going to use a set of reasoning, that reasoning should not change year to year.
I understand your reasoning and it’s sound. But they just used that to justify Bama getting in. They did set parameters which they obviously weren’t intending on following suit on or will use it when it fits their purpose.

Mostly cause they were #1 all year and only had one loss. And why most didn’t really have a problem with it.

Georgia’s situation was not the same Kev. They hadn’t been #1 and now had 2 losses. It’s very arguable based on the polls and ranking that they were no longer a top 4 team. Now whether they were one of the best 4 teams in the country is a purely subjective argument and one could be made for it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It all goes back to the polls. Why were the Irish ranked so high if they weren’t one of the best teams?

Because they were undefeated and a nationally known program. Div 1 has always been flawed favoring big name schools from major conferences.

I’m not sure why we thought the playoffs would shift that ? Bottom line is win all your games or you are at the mercy of those deciding. Which is much how it’s always been with or without a playoff.