NCAAF gets it wrong again

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I notice that even without their star QB, UCF is in a battle with LSU.
Who knows if they win, but after they beat Aburn in their bowl last year, theres no excuse for teams to say they took them lightly.

They won half their games without their "star" QB. Meanwhile LSU was without their top 6 DBs and had to play a WR at CB. In addition, LSU was playing without 3 out of their 4 starting DLman.

If you watched the game, LSU dominated in every facet. UCF had less than 100 yards passing and 250 total for the game which is half of what they average (even with the back-up QB). The score was kept close due largely to LSU committing a lot of dumb penalties (14 for 145), and they kicked 3 FGs under 30 yards.

If this game was played during the regular season with LSU defense at full strength, UCF might not have scored. UCF should be thankful they didn't have to play Bama or Clemson. They are what I thought they were..............well-coached but lacking top tier talent. Stanford will crush them next september.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone catch the 2019 Chick-fil-A college opener match-up? Alabama vs Duke. :facepalm: Might set a vegas point spread record for the game. I am stunned they could not get a better ACC team for this game.

Last edited:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Anyone catch the 2019 Chick-fil-A college opener match-up? Alabama vs Duke. :facepalm: Might set a vegas point spread record for the game.
Atlanta...can you explain to me why we have bowl games with #15 th ranked Texas playing #5th ranked Georgia? And why in lords name is there now a “Cheez-it Bowl” and the “Famous Idaho Potato Bowl” to go with another dozen like it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They won half their games without their "star" QB. Meanwhile LSU was without their top 6 DBs and had to play a WR at CB. In addition, LSU was playing without 3 out of their 4 starting DLman.

If you watched the game, LSU dominated in every facet. UCF had less than 100 yards passing and 250 total for the game which is half of what they average (even with the back-up QB). The score was kept close due largely to LSU committing a lot of dumb penalties (14 for 145), and they kicked 3 FGs under 30 yards.

If this game was played during the regular season with LSU defense at full strength, UCF might not have scored. UCF should be thankful they didn't have to play Bama or Clemson. They are what I thought they were..............well-coached but lacking top tier talent. Stanford will crush them next september.
My point was that LSU would not take them lightly.
And they didn't.

Surprised you downplay their injured QB Milton though. His replacement is good...in a different sort of way... but that guy was the heartbeat of the team and pretty incredible.

Also, not sure why you saythey won half their games with backup.
They were 10-0 this year with Milton and 2-1 with Mack.

I think LSU is really good and was VERY confident they'd win, and they did.
So no surprise there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Atlanta...can you explain to me why we have bowl games with #15 th ranked Texas playing #5th ranked Georgia? And why in lords name is there now a “Cheez-it Bowl” and the “Famous Idaho Potato Bowl” to go with another 20 like it.

Don't get me started. I hate the corporate sponsor names. lol

The problem is that in the absence of a playoff game, the bowls revert back to their traditional conference match-ups. For the Rose Bowl that is Pac 12 vs Big 10. The Sugar Bowl is SEC vs Big 12. Both Texas and UGA finished as runner-up in their conferences so that how that happened.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Atlanta...can you explain to me why we have bowl games with #15 th ranked Texas playing #5th ranked Georgia? And why in lords name is there now a “Cheez-it Bowl” and the “Famous Idaho Potato Bowl” to go with another dozen like it.
Probably not going to be good for Texas.

College football the only sport where teams with .500 record get rewarded to play in the post season every year. Also the only sport where you can have multiple undefeated teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point was that LSU would not take them lightly.
And they didn't.

Surprised you downplay their injured QB though. His replacement is good, but that guy was the heartbeatof the team and pretty incredible.

I think LSU is really good and was VERY confident they'd win, and they did.
So no surprise there.

Their injured QB is not an NFL prospect. Its not like they were missing Peyton Manning. He's just a good college QB. I think with LSU missing more than half its defensive starters, you can't play the injury card. UCF was dominated by LSU's second and 3rd string defense.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Don't get me started. I hate the corporate sponsor names. lol

The problem is that in the absence of a playoff game, the bowls revert back to their traditional conference match-ups. For the Rose Bowl that is Pac 12 vs Big 10. The Sugar Bowl is SEC vs Big 12. Both Texas and UGA finished as runner-up in their conferences so that how that happened.
I’m college football handicap so figured I’d ask you. Thanks.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Their injured QB is not an NFL prospect. Its not like they were missing Peyton Manning. He's just a good college QB. I think with LSU missing more than half its defensive starters, you can't play the injury card. UCF was dominated by LSU's second and 3rd string defense.
Good for them
Yea!
Go Tigers for a dominating 40-32 win

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dwayne Haskins, the nation's leader in TD passes, now has 50 at halftime of the Rose Bowl, but congrats to the baseball player at OU for being the "best" in college football. :muttley:

Buckeyes smoking the Huskies in Pasadena, but yeah, Notre Dame was better. :laugh:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dwayne Haskins, the nation's leader in TD passes, now has 50 at halftime of the Rose Bowl, but congrats to the baseball player at OU for being the "best" in college football. :muttley:

Buckeyes smoking the Huskies in Pasadena, but yeah, Notre Dame was better. :laugh:

I think UCF vs ND would have been a good Fiesta Bowl match-up this year.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Probably not going to be good for Texas.

College football the only sport where teams with .500 record get rewarded to play in the post season every year. Also the only sport where you can have multiple undefeated teams.
That’s what needs to change. Loser ball clubs getting invited to superficial bowl games. “6-6 Saskatchewan State vs 5-7 Little Red Schoolhouse College in the US Postal Service Taco and Cheeze Bowl up next on CBS.”

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think in situations with 3 loss teams, the big bowls should be able to get out of their conference match-up obligations. UGA vs OSU would have been a far more entertaining sugar bowl.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I think in situations with 3 loss teams, the big bowls should be able to get out of their conference match-up obligations. UGA vs OSU would have been a far more entertaining sugar bowl.
Exactly!! I want to see the best teams play each other. That would be a much better bowl matchup.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You obviously just read the score and didn't watch the game. Why are we having this conversation?
Not sure.
Posting an early score and saying, regardless of the outcome (assumed LSU sould win), nobody would overlook UCF this year.
Gave kudos to UCF for taking an early lead and without their QB.
That was it.

Certainly not a UCF fan. (In the bowl picks pool where you weighteach pick by confidence, I had LSU over UCF at or very near the top.)

Then you got seemly got pissed off for some reason
:laugh:
Are you an SEC or LSU fan?

I DID watch some of the game early, but was not really that interested with other stuff going on today. LSU was not playing 3rd and 4th stringers everywhere...come on.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly!! I want to see the best teams play each other. That would be a much better bowl matchup.

Thats the argument to expand the playoff. Their is no reason for any bowl/conference arrangements anymore. They are antiquated and not really necessary anymore. But, i'm just a guy with a keyboard an opinion. What do I know?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure.
Posting an early score and saying, regardless of the outcome (assumed LSU sould win), nobody would overlook UCF this year.
Gave kudos to UCF for taking an early lead and without their QB.
That was it.

Certainly not a UCF fan. (In the bowl picks pool where you weighteach pick by confidence, I had LSU over UCF at or very near the top.)

Then you got seemly got pissed off for some reason
:laugh:
Are you an SEC or LSU fan?

I DID watch some of the game early, but was not really that interested with other stuff going on today. LSU was not playing 3rd and 4th stringers everywhere...come on.

I call it like I see it. UCF got pushed around pretty good. When I saw how many LSU defenders were not playing, I figured UCF would be piling up the yards. That offense didn't slow down one Iota with the back-up QB during the season. But, the announcers today sure made it a point over and over to remind everyone how much they missed their starting QB.........despite a lack of any statistical evidence to back it up. That was the #1 ranked rushing offense in college football. Now, at least we know why.......they don't play anyone with a defense. So, they can go back to central florida and enjoy their self-proclaimed national title from last year and continue their whining about not being included.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I call it like I see it. UCF got pushed around pretty good. When I saw how many LSU defenders were not playing, I figured UCF would be piling up the yards. That offense didn't slow down one Iota with the back-up QB during the season. But, the announcers today sure made it a point over and over to remind everyone how much they missed their starting QB.........despite a lack of any statistical evidence to back it up. That was the #1 ranked rushing offense in college football. Now, at least we know why.......they don't play anyone with a defense. So, they can go back to central florida and enjoy their self-proclaimed national title from last year and continue their whining about not being included.
Well, LSU does have great defense.

But if we’re not using missing players as excuses it would be fair to point out that....

Style points or not....

UCF scored more points on LSU (in regulation) than any other team all season.

Ok, I’ll leave now.
I agree, not sure why we are having this conversation
Almost seems personal to you for reason, atlanta

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, LSU does have great defense.

But if we’re not using missing players as excuses it would be fair to point out that....

Style points or not....

UCF scored more points on LSU (in regulation) than any other team all season.

Ok, I’ll leave now.
I agree, not sure why we are having this conversation
Almost seems personal to you for reason, atlanta

I'm debating a football game and the meaning of the result. UCF scoring 32 points on LSU means absolutely nothing. That was not the defense LSU put on the field during the regular season. Not sure how you can debate LSU's defense without accounting for that fact. Yet, even LSU's 2nd and 3rd stringers held UCF to its lowest output of the season. If you really want to get down to nutts and bolts, UCF's issue is not their skill position guys. They aren't big enough up front. Their OL at full strength got mauled.......... Their DL at full strength was dominated......... If you are all impressed by the 32 points they somehow scored, fine. But, I don't see a feather in their cap.......and I certainly don't see a case for them to be included in any future playoff.

Last edited: