Need some help with WRs

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I just don't keep up with the rest of the league like I do the Boys. And some of you are savants when it comes to knowing league personnel. I can google a list but they're just names in the main for me. I don't know the players.

I want to relist what I want in our WRs but I particularly want help with identifying those WRs who are like Robert Woods; fast, quick, scootem, good hands and able to separate both with speed and good routes. I still think he's a work in progress but he's on the way IMO. I want a WR who runs away from the defenders and can turn a slant or dig into a major route.

Who has those attributes and is available? Doesn't have to be a brand name but someone with the tools that may just not have gotten snaps necessary to showcase.

Here's my list:

X: Has to cover the tackle so he's stuck on the line unless he trades spots with the Z presnap and often the Y on the strong side. Basically he lines up wide and is stuck on the line. Needs speed to spread the field. Good routes. Able to run the fly and post but also short and intermediate digs as well as slants particularly hot routes.

Dez is not an ideal X. He lacks the long speed as well as not running routes well enough. IMO he's a possession WR and 'looks' like Irvin. He just doesn't run the routes well enough to be a possession WR, doesn't catch the ball well, and doesn't use his body properly. He needs to move to the Z and get some presnap movement, work on the above and run precise routes. This would make him a huge threat and prolong his career.

Butler is a X as a best guess but we really don't know what we have with him. He has the speed and can inconsistently make the catches.

Z: See above. Williams is not an ideal Z lacking the size for it and his speed is marginal (football speed). His hands are suspect. The Z needs speed to stretch the field as well as the X. He doesn't need the size of the X as he can use movement to get open rather than size/strength but they sorta mirror one another up to a point.

SL: Bees is a pretty good SL. To upgrade you have to add some quicks and speed which I'd call scootem. He could run better routes although he's average plus there already. He doesn't have much strength so he's not running thru arm tackles are driving thru tackles with his leg strength. That gets balanced by his separation.

Y: Witten is a prototype. He needs to run 8 yd routes to pick up 3rd and 8 because his YAC is average at best. We need a hybrid who is really a very large WR who can play all the receiver positions and the H/F. 4-4+ speed and 6-4 preferably 6-5+.

W: This is where a guy like Woods fits in. He's basically another Z in 3-4 WR sets. Speed, Speed, Speed then the rest.

We have Brown and Dez as possession WRs. They should run those routes although Dez still can vertical and get enough of those jump balls. He plays the back shoulder pretty well, too, but that is a possession WR route.

We have Williams as the other wideout. He's marginal. We have an unknown in Butler although he has the speed and can have the hands. That's all I really know. I've not seen him run that many routes outside the long routes.

Bees is the SL and we don't know about Switzer. I'd move off Switzer for more speed (football speed). We don't really need the depth at SL nearly as much as we do at the wideouts.

Aven8

Reaction score
Ok this pains me to say this but we need to keep Dez for one more season at least.

Out of the 31 WR's drafted last year only two went over 500 yards, Cupp and JuJu.

However, we need to draft one to replace Dez and start making Dez the Z. Twill needs to be at minimum a 4th WR. Outside of blocking he brings you nothing.

Rabbit

Reaction score
He's a big play reciever can take the coverage over the top. Crisp route runner. He's 5"11 but he is compact sturdy built I think he would go perfect opposite of Dez check out his Youtube oh & btw im a Longhorn fan he's a aggie so my opinion isn't bias I think he's really going to be big

cowboyec

Reaction score
Calvin Ridley at 19.
If he is gone...DJ Moore,Maryland in the 2nd Rd.
other options beyond Rd 2
Simmie Cobbs,Indiana
Anthony Miller,Memphis
Cedric Wilson,Boise St
Parris Campbell,Ohio St

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He's a big play reciever can take the coverage over the top. Crisp route runner. He's 5"11 but he is compact sturdy built I think he would go perfect opposite of Dez check out his Youtube oh & btw im a Longhorn fan he's a aggie so my opinion isn't bias I think he's really going to be big

Looked at a youtube of his A&M highlights. A bit taller Steve Smith. I like the guy. Is he a legit #1 WR?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tell us about him please.
Kirk was a 5 star stud out of High School.
TAMU obviously lost two elite QB prospects in Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray so Kirk lacks great numbers but he is the epitome of explosive.
Probably the best return guy in this draft and I'd say he has a decent comp in Tyreek Hill.

Not tall and angular like some guys but that can be a benefit as well.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Calvin Ridley at 19.
If he is gone...DJ Moore,Maryland in the 2nd Rd.
other options beyond Rd 2
Simmie Cobbs,Indiana
Anthony Miller,Memphis
Cedric Wilson,Boise St
Parris Campbell,Ohio St

Looked at them all. Put a R2 on Miller.....love this player. Love Cobbs size (and Lazar). Ridley a legit R1....mid round. Put a R2-3 on Moore.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Simmie Cobbs in Rd 3...if he lasts...would be a tremendous plan B if we lose out on Ridley in the 1st or Moore in the 2nd.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
These are draft guys you all are talking about which may take a few years to develop. Right now, we need free agency. A proven guy with speed.