Need some help with WRs

conner01

Reaction score
The real question at WR is, is it a top priority or second, maybe third
I like Kirk, everyone like Ridley but he’s not likely to be ther, I also like Sutton
If Ridley fell then there is a good chance he would be BPA, but I don’t see it happening
I personally think dez will be here at least next year so we need a WR, just don’t know if it’s a first round need

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The real question at WR is, is it a top priority or second, maybe third
I like Kirk, everyone like Ridley but he’s not likely to be ther, I also like Sutton
If Ridley fell then there is a good chance he would be BPA, but I don’t see it happening
I personally think dez will be here at least next year so we need a WR, just don’t know if it’s a first round need

We should be able to get speed at WR in R2-3.

Rabbit

Reaction score
These are draft guys you all are talking about which may take a few years to develop. Right now, we need free agency. A proven guy with speed.
Taylor Gabriel from Atlanta should be a guy to look at dont know if he's a FA

jay94

Reaction score
Josh Gordon is tall and fast, but troublesome. Perfect Jerry Jones player.

Josh Gordon is a legitimate top 5 receiver in the league even on Cleveland, he's not going anywhere.

jay94

Reaction score
Wow Josh Gordon is a FA next year, I know he is risky, but his talent level makes Dez look like he's still in college even on the dreadful Browns. If we got him and Dak doesn't drastically improve it's time to find a new qb, he can stretch the field, break tackles, catch, he's an amazing player with tons of baggage.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm pretty meh on most of those guys honestly, at least the ones that have a chance to move teams.

One guy I do like is Montcrief. Young,got size,speed, and athleticism. Had a down year with Luck out, so could get him at a good value. Plus he has history with the new WR coach.

He works as a #2-3

T-RO

Reaction score
John Brown,Cardinals.
good hands.
great speed.
I think he's "gettable".

strongly agree. when he came up he was faster than fast. (4.3@combine)

He had huge production (1k yards) when Arizona last had good quarterback play. But Palmer faded (old) and replacements sucked.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
He's a big play reciever can take the coverage over the top. Crisp route runner. He's 5"11 but he is compact sturdy built I think he would go perfect opposite of Dez check out his Youtube oh & btw im a Longhorn fan he's a aggie so my opinion isn't bias I think he's really going to be big

runs a 4.49 40-yard dash Pass, need a wr that is sub 4.40

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't keep up with the rest of the league like I do the Boys. And some of you are savants when it comes to knowing league personnel. I can google a list but they're just names in the main for me. I don't know the players.

I want to relist what I want in our WRs but I particularly want help with identifying those WRs who are like Robert Woods; fast, quick, scootem, good hands and able to separate both with speed and good routes. I still think he's a work in progress but he's on the way IMO. I want a WR who runs away from the defenders and can turn a slant or dig into a major route.

Who has those attributes and is available? Doesn't have to be a brand name but someone with the tools that may just not have gotten snaps necessary to showcase.

Here's my list:

X: Has to cover the tackle so he's stuck on the line unless he trades spots with the Z presnap and often the Y on the strong side. Basically he lines up wide and is stuck on the line. Needs speed to spread the field. Good routes. Able to run the fly and post but also short and intermediate digs as well as slants particularly hot routes.

Dez is not an ideal X. He lacks the long speed as well as not running routes well enough. IMO he's a possession WR and 'looks' like Irvin. He just doesn't run the routes well enough to be a possession WR, doesn't catch the ball well, and doesn't use his body properly. He needs to move to the Z and get some presnap movement, work on the above and run precise routes. This would make him a huge threat and prolong his career.

Butler is a X as a best guess but we really don't know what we have with him. He has the speed and can inconsistently make the catches.

Z: See above. Williams is not an ideal Z lacking the size for it and his speed is marginal (football speed). His hands are suspect. The Z needs speed to stretch the field as well as the X. He doesn't need the size of the X as he can use movement to get open rather than size/strength but they sorta mirror one another up to a point.

SL: Bees is a pretty good SL. To upgrade you have to add some quicks and speed which I'd call scootem. He could run better routes although he's average plus there already. He doesn't have much strength so he's not running thru arm tackles are driving thru tackles with his leg strength. That gets balanced by his separation.

Y: Witten is a prototype. He needs to run 8 yd routes to pick up 3rd and 8 because his YAC is average at best. We need a hybrid who is really a very large WR who can play all the receiver positions and the H/F. 4-4+ speed and 6-4 preferably 6-5+.

W: This is where a guy like Woods fits in. He's basically another Z in 3-4 WR sets. Speed, Speed, Speed then the rest.

We have Brown and Dez as possession WRs. They should run those routes although Dez still can vertical and get enough of those jump balls. He plays the back shoulder pretty well, too, but that is a possession WR route.

We have Williams as the other wideout. He's marginal. We have an unknown in Butler although he has the speed and can have the hands. That's all I really know. I've not seen him run that many routes outside the long routes.

Bees is the SL and we don't know about Switzer. I'd move off Switzer for more speed (football speed). We don't really need the depth at SL nearly as much as we do at the wideouts.
AGE FROM PLAYER
24 JAC Allen Robinson
24 LA Sammy Watkins
24 IND Donte Moncrief
26 ATL Taylor Gabriel
25 MIA Jarvis Landry
31 BAL Mike Wallace
25 SEA Paul Richardson
26 JAC Marqise Lee
28 CHI Kendall Wright
25 BUF Jordan Matthews
28 WAS Terrelle Pryor
27 ARI John Brown
32 NE Danny Amendola
27 WAS Ryan Grant
30 TEN Eric Decker
28 BUF Deonte Thompson
25 KC Albert Wilson
28 ARI Jaron Brown
28 CHI Josh Bellamy
28 CHI Dontrelle Inman
27 DAL Brice Butler
25 DEN Cody Latimer
27 NYG Tavarres King
26 BAL Michael Campanaro
25 KC De'Anthony Thomas
28 IND Kamar Aiken
27 CAR Brenton Bersin
30 SF Louis Murphy
26 CAR Kaelin Clay
30 BUF Brandon Tate
28 MIN Michael Floyd
28 WAS Brian Quick
29 ARI Brittan Golden
27 ATL Nick Williams
26 PIT Justin Hunter
30 ATL Andre Roberts
26 GB Jeff Janis
32 TEN Harry Douglas
32 TEN Eric Weems
32 NE Matthew Slater
28 CAR Charles Johnson
26 BUF Jeremy Butler

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't keep up with the rest of the league like I do the Boys. And some of you are savants when it comes to knowing league personnel. I can google a list but they're just names in the main for me. I don't know the players.

I want to relist what I want in our WRs but I particularly want help with identifying those WRs who are like Robert Woods; fast, quick, scootem, good hands and able to separate both with speed and good routes. I still think he's a work in progress but he's on the way IMO. I want a WR who runs away from the defenders and can turn a slant or dig into a major route.

Who has those attributes and is available? Doesn't have to be a brand name but someone with the tools that may just not have gotten snaps necessary to showcase.

Here's my list:

X: Has to cover the tackle so he's stuck on the line unless he trades spots with the Z presnap and often the Y on the strong side. Basically he lines up wide and is stuck on the line. Needs speed to spread the field. Good routes. Able to run the fly and post but also short and intermediate digs as well as slants particularly hot routes.

Dez is not an ideal X. He lacks the long speed as well as not running routes well enough. IMO he's a possession WR and 'looks' like Irvin. He just doesn't run the routes well enough to be a possession WR, doesn't catch the ball well, and doesn't use his body properly. He needs to move to the Z and get some presnap movement, work on the above and run precise routes. This would make him a huge threat and prolong his career.

Butler is a X as a best guess but we really don't know what we have with him. He has the speed and can inconsistently make the catches.

Z: See above. Williams is not an ideal Z lacking the size for it and his speed is marginal (football speed). His hands are suspect. The Z needs speed to stretch the field as well as the X. He doesn't need the size of the X as he can use movement to get open rather than size/strength but they sorta mirror one another up to a point.

SL: Bees is a pretty good SL. To upgrade you have to add some quicks and speed which I'd call scootem. He could run better routes although he's average plus there already. He doesn't have much strength so he's not running thru arm tackles are driving thru tackles with his leg strength. That gets balanced by his separation.

Y: Witten is a prototype. He needs to run 8 yd routes to pick up 3rd and 8 because his YAC is average at best. We need a hybrid who is really a very large WR who can play all the receiver positions and the H/F. 4-4+ speed and 6-4 preferably 6-5+.

W: This is where a guy like Woods fits in. He's basically another Z in 3-4 WR sets. Speed, Speed, Speed then the rest.

We have Brown and Dez as possession WRs. They should run those routes although Dez still can vertical and get enough of those jump balls. He plays the back shoulder pretty well, too, but that is a possession WR route.

We have Williams as the other wideout. He's marginal. We have an unknown in Butler although he has the speed and can have the hands. That's all I really know. I've not seen him run that many routes outside the long routes.

Bees is the SL and we don't know about Switzer. I'd move off Switzer for more speed (football speed). We don't really need the depth at SL nearly as much as we do at the wideouts.
I don't see any FA WRs that I would want to give a huge long term contract; however, there are several that would be good to have if the price is reasonable.

I would look at:
24 JAC Allen Robinson - Missed 2017 with injury and his team has to re-sign another starting WR (M.Lee). Maybe a 1-year prove it deal.
24 LA Sammy Watkins - He loves our new WR coach. He didn't have a big year statistically which might keep his price reasonable.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to solve their playbook. Then the receivers will do just fine. More rub routes, and crossing routes please.