Twitter: Need to re-sign Michael Bennett

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s not looking for a small contract, Sydla. Certainly not for the $2M plus incentives deal Smith signed.

I don’t even agree he’s likely to be a better player, much less a better value. Aldon Smith was an elite player. He’s 4 years younger and has 8 years fewer miles on him.

Smith hasn't played a football game since Nov 2015. The belief that he's just gonna pick it right up and jump right back to close to his old self is pretty funny. Further, it's looking like we may see limited camps and even preseason too. So not only will he have not played in 4.5 years, he's going to have a limited camp to even try to get back up to speed. Note, I am not saying Smith was a stupid signing. I like the signing based on the upside BUT that's a signing you make as a luxury to supplement what you can already count on........... signing him as the solution or part of the solution is extremely risky.

And I bet Bennett signs a pretty favorable contract wherever he ends up unless he just retires or waits for a team to need a DE during the season.

Unfortunately fans are falling in line like they did in 2018 when the Cowboys sold us a bill of goods about the WR by committee approach. It failed. And I suspect we are going to find ourselves lamenting halfway through the season why we struggle to get after the QB.

Reactions: BAT

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bennett was pretty much the only guy on D holding people accountable. That fell mostly to Crawford and Scandrick in years past. Not having those leaders is a big reason we weren't as good. You can get away lead by example guys when you have consummate professionals at on a unit. Lee and Hitchens were an excellent example ... everyone saw how hard they both worked as students of the game. Just didn't have those guys last year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett is a 3× Pro Bowler and had 9 sacks backing up Gerald McCoy at 3 tech with TB. He has excelled at EDGE as well as DT.

Bennett also had as many sacks as Tank Lawrence as rotation player last season.

Bennett and Belichick had "philosophical differences" that had less to do with defensive scheme than with personality.

Crawford will never sniff a pro bowl or more than 5 sacks/season going forward.

No, Bennett's issue in New England was with regards to the scheme.

Bennett didn't like playing in that scheme which is very similar to Nolan's past schemes.

The simple explanation is that Nolan likes to stop the run with the front 7. That changes the roles and types of player for the DL as compared to the Marinelli or Seattle defensive schemes that depended having the SS up in the box a majority of the time (i.e. 8 in the box).

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
No, Bennett's issue in New England was with regards to the scheme.

Bennett didn't like playing in that scheme which is very similar to Nolan's past schemes.

The simple explanation is that Nolan likes to stop the run with the front 7. That changes the roles and types of player for the DL as compared to the Marinelli or Seattle defensive schemes that depended having the SS up in the box a majority of the time (i.e. 8 in the box).

Bennett is one of the best run stopping ends this decade.

It was about playing time, not scheme.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2...s-he-didnt-take-away-nothing-from-suspension/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith hasn't played a football game since Nov 2015. The belief that he's just gonna pick it right up and jump right back to close to his old self is pretty funny. Further, it's looking like we may see limited camps and even preseason too. So not only will he have not played in 4.5 years, he's going to have a limited camp to even try to get back up to speed. Note, I am not saying Smith was a stupid signing. I like the signing based on the upside BUT that's a signing you make as a luxury to supplement what you can already count on........... signing him as the solution or part of the solution is extremely risky.

And I bet Bennett signs a pretty favorable contract wherever he ends up unless he just retires or waits for a team to need a DE during the season.

Unfortunately fans are falling in line like they did in 2018 when the Cowboys sold us a bill of goods about the WR by committee approach. It failed. And I suspect we are going to find ourselves lamenting halfway through the season why we struggle to get after the QB.

The Cowboys didn't "sell" anything with regards the WRs in 2018. They attempted to sign an expensive free agent but wisely backed out when the price got up to about 18M for a just OK player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett is one of the best run stopping ends this decade.

That does not mean he fit that scheme.

They only had one true DL in 2019 (DL that was not a LB/DE hybrid). that was about Bennett's size.
- That player played less than 30% of the snaps.
- Even in 3 starts that player had 13%, 32% and 35% of the snaps.

Bennett was not going to play as a DE/LB hybrid.

Michael Bennett 6-4, 275

Patriots 2019 DL (not included LB/DE hybrids)
70 Adam Butler 6-5, 300
99 Byron Cowart 6-3, 300
93 Lawrence Guy 6-4 315
71 Danny Shelton 6-2, 345
91 Deatrich Wise 6-5, 275

I don't know why you would bother to debate this with me. You've been around here long enough to know that I know all the details.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
That does not mean he fit that scheme.

They only had one true DL in 2019 (DL that was not a LB/DE hybrid). that was about Bennett's size.
- That player played less than 30% of the snaps.
- Even in 3 starts that player had 13%, 32% and 35% of the snaps.

Bennett was not going to play as a DE/LB hybrid.

Michael Bennett 6-4, 275

Patriots 2019 DL (not included LB/DE hybrids)
70 Adam Butler 6-5, 300
99 Byron Cowart 6-3, 300
93 Lawrence Guy 6-4 315
71 Danny Shelton 6-2, 345
91 Deatrich Wise 6-5, 275

I don't know why you would bother to debate this with me. You've been around here long enough to know that I know all the details.

LOL

If Bennett cannot play DL in 4-3/3-4 hybrid (who said anything about LB???) then there is no way in hell that Crawford at 6'4 280 can either. Same with Tank who is also 6'3 265.

May as well cut Jelks and Jackson. Armstrong too.

And I usually like your posts Walker but your head has grown too big if you believe that all you say is gospel.

I gave you a source for my stance, you just give me more of your opinion.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Mike Nolan defenses of the past have many many similarities to the defense that Belichick ran in 2019.

Both Bennett and Bellichick decided that the 2019 Pats defense was not suited to Bennett.

For Dallas, Bennett would work with a rotational use...but his salary and time on carpet would shrink opportunity to develop the younger talent on roster.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If there’s no camp or preseason, of course that makes a huge difference. But there’s no reason to think he’ll have somehow forgotten how to play football. Were you in the group who thought Vick was done after two years off? Because he came right back and probably played better than ever. At the same age, and at a more difficult position.

We’ll see what Bennett signs if and when anybody signs him. So far nobody has. Either way, not signing Michael Bennett isn’t going to be the issue. If we want to address the position, sign one of the impact DEs still available in FA. We aren’t going to be beholden to a 34 yo player with attitude issues on his sixth team and at the tail end of his career.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If there’s no camp or preseason, of course that makes a huge difference. But there’s no reason to think he’ll have somehow forgotten how to play football. Were you in the group who thought Vick was done after two years off? Because he came right back and probably played better than ever. At the same age, and at a more difficult position.

We’ll see what Bennett signs if and when anybody signs him. So far nobody has. Either way, not signing Michael Bennett isn’t going to be the issue. If we want to address the position, sign one of the impact DEs still available in FA. We aren’t going to be beholden to a 34 yo player with attitude issues on his sixth team and at the tail end of his career.
Big Mike has cleaned house of guys like Bennett.

Witten, Quinn, Jones, etc.

He wants nothing to do with Garrett or his roster building.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Mike has cleaned house of guys like Bennett.

Witten, Quinn, Jones, etc.

He wants nothing to do with Garrett or his roster building.

I’m sure he doesn’t. But those are some pretty good players right there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m sure he doesn’t. But those are some pretty good players right there.

I hated when we lost Emmitt Smith also...but direction sometimes is a tough task master in the NFL.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I'd like to see Crawford play post hips repair before comparing him to Bennett and declaring Bennett better. ;)
Crawford did a lot of the dirty work inside. He loves that stuff. It doesn't show up on the stats sheet, but it's just going in and being a bully play after play.

His flexibility at DT/DE was always his best asset. Frankly, with McCoy & Poe, all the DEs have the potential to really wreak havoc

InTheZone

Reaction score
he'll just line up offsides every other down because he knows he's not that good of a player