Twitter: Need to re-sign Michael Bennett

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm ready to give our youngsters an opportunity to play DE on the right side. Guys like Crawford and Bennett need to go and allow some of our young talent the opportunity to develop. Under JG, that wasn't something he dared to allow. Too many were left to remain stagnant on the bench.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm ready to give our youngsters an opportunity to play DE on the right side. Guys like Crawford and Bennett need to go and allow some of our young talent the opportunity to develop. Under JG, that wasn't something he dared to allow. Too many were left to remain stagnant on the bench.
For the Cowboys, average doesn't cut it. Either a player improves and earns starting, or youth should become developed. Both of these aspects determine directions. Sometimes, a blend is needed...but growth and time on the carpet, all important.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For the Cowboys, average doesn't cut it. Either a player improves and earns starting, or youth should become developed. Both of these aspects determine directions. Sometimes, a blend is needed...but growth and time on the carpet, all important.

With this staff in place, it's a new ballgame now. I'm optimistic that this staff may be open to allow the youngsters the benefit of more exposure!

CCBoy

Reaction score
With this new staff in place, it's a new ballgame now. I'm optimistic that this staff may be open to allow the youngsters the benefit of more exposure!
There will be plenty of walk-throughs, that's for sure...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There will be plenty of walk-throughs, that's for sure...

Jeez, that hadn't occurred to me, to be honest. Now that you mention it, that's likely what's in store! Better than nothing, though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Crawford did a lot of the dirty work inside. He loves that stuff. It doesn't show up on the stats sheet, but it's just going in and being a bully play after play.

His flexibility at DT/DE was always his best asset. Frankly, with McCoy & Poe, all the DEs have the potential to really wreak havoc
That's exactly right. Too many posters don't understand this so they underappreciate his utility.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Michael Bennett is much better than Ty Crawford.

As a one year stop gap, I think it would be a solid signing. If Adlon and Randy are reinstated and they are productive, then you can dump bennett if he is a distraction. But he's a perfect safety valve for 1 year. He is much better than Crawford and just as versatile. Also, compared to last year, this Dline now has real vet leaders like McCoy, so Bennett won't have a bad influence, IF that was even a problem last year.

Reactions: BAT

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
In the 2010s, Michael Bennet ranked:

#1 In average depth of tackle vs the run (0.54 yards!)
#6 in TFL/TFNGs (110)
#4 in total pressures (569)

That spans the whole decade. He’s not that player anymore.

sean10mm

Reaction score
He's going to be 35. Just another dinosaur that fans keep talking up because he's a name they heard on ESPN that one time.

Sydla

Reaction score

PROGRESS STOPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's going to be 35. Just another dinosaur that fans keep talking up because he's a name they heard on ESPN that one time.

He had 6.5 sacks last year and a good pressure rate.

He'd be the starting RDE the moment he resigned. You aren't looking for him to be a long term solution, you are looking at him to provide stability to the RDE spot for one year.

Plus what are the options here? You want to overpay Clowney? Right now are starting RDE will either be Crawford or Gregory or Smith. Do you think that's a good situation?

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I do not like him...

But the more defensive linemen the merrier.

If they can get him back then fine.

Sydla

Reaction score
With this staff in place, it's a new ballgame now. I'm optimistic that this staff may be open to allow the youngsters the benefit of more exposure!

What youngsters?

The "youngsters" at DE are a 5th round pick from last year, a 7th round pick from last year and another 5th round pick this year. That's not to say none will develop, maybe one will, but the notion that we can't add a quality veteran because we need to let these youngsters play is a bit of wishful, optimistic thinking. The reality is that the "youngsters" all are more likely to not be much of anything or just end up as valuable backup players than of being significant impacts at DE.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd like to see Crawford play post hips repair before comparing him to Bennett and declaring Bennett better. ;)

Crawford has never, ever, ever, been better than Bennett. Not sure why you think a 30 year old DT trying to play DE coming off hips repair would suddenly morph into the better player.

sean10mm

Reaction score
That and he played really good last year.

Which is nice and all, but gambling on old players with bad attitudes is always a sucker's bet.

Unless he's dirt cheap, in which case sure why not.

Section446

Reaction score
Assuming Crawford is healthy, I'd rater just stick with what we have.