CFZ Need to see it, to believe it-run defense fixed?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cowboy Defense really struggled defending the run for the majority of last season:

-The trade of Hankins helped shore up the middle
-Really struggled with the outside runs to the weakside
-Had zero answers for those read option QB's
-Run defense was good against the 49ers until the got tired late

-The combination of Hankins/Mazi Smith should solidify the NT/1T position, emergence of Golston should solidify the interior.
-Quinn used Parsons more as a LB on the early run downs in the postseason, it seem to work, less outside, successful runs happened. This will also keep him more fresh.
-Will Clark make that so called 2nd year leap? He struggled with the mental side and was benched in the postseason.
-Overshown was being touted pre-draft as the #1 QB Spy LB in the class. Will Quinn carve out this role for him?

If this defense can be successful on the early downs, they have the potential of becoming truly an elite defense, with a very good pass rush and several ball hawks within our secondary.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would hope after burning a 1st round pick on a 1tech/NT we will huge improvement. In other words, what more could they have done......
BTW.......Let's not sleep on LVE, he was playing some of his best ball before injury before the injury. I mean we keep hearing about the DLaws, Parsons, Diggs, and Williams but I have a feeling LVE could very well be our top 3 defensive player.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I would hope after burning a 1st round pick on a 1tech/NT we will huge improvement. In other words, what more could they have done......
BTW.......Let's not sleep on LVE, he was playing some of his best ball before injury before the injury. I mean we keep hearing about the DLaws, Parsons, Diggs, and Williams but I have a feeling LVE could very well be our top 3 defensive player.
IMO, Hankins really helped LVE. In the past, the poor interior defensive line play was allowing o linemen a free run at the linebackers. As much as we want to joke about Jaylon celebrating tackles 6 yards downfield, he frequently had to dodge guards to do it. Hopefully a rotation of Mazi and Hankins does even more to free up the linebackers.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMO, Hankins really helped LVE. In the past, the poor interior defensive line play was allowing o linemen a free run at the linebackers. As much as we want to joke about Jaylon celebrating tackles 6 yards downfield, he frequently had to dodge guards to do it. Hopefully a rotation of Mazi and Hankins does even more to free up the linebackers.
I was shocked at how shocked some where that Hankins made such a huge difference. We've been getting our LB's pounded for many years now due to a refusal to address the NT position. Or, we were just too dumb to understand it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboy Defense really struggled defending the run for the majority of last season:

-The combination of Hankins/Mazi Smith should solidify the NT/1T position, emergence of Golston should solidify the interior.
-Quinn used Parsons more as a LB on the early run downs in the postseason, it seem to work, less outside, successful runs happened. This will also keep him more fresh.
-Will Clark make that so called 2nd year leap? He struggled with the mental side and was benched in the postseason.
-Overshown was being touted pre-draft as the #1 QB Spy LB in the class. Will Quinn carve out this role for him?

If this defense can be successful on the early downs, they have the potential of becoming truly an elite defense, with a very good pass rush and several ball hawks within our secondary.
I dont need to see it. This defense will be good against the run. As long as Mazi stays healthy. And with Mazi and hankins both I dont see a breather in there for backs.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont need to see it. This defense will be good against the run. As long as Mazi stays healthy. And with Mazi and hankins both I dont see a breather in there for backs.
Should be, unless Mazi busts.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Lots of falsehoods here. The Cowboys run defense was good last year, Hankins was there for three of their four worst performances and was predominantly a non-factor.

4th in run EPA overall, 4th in run EPA on first down

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I was shocked at how shocked some where that Hankins made such a huge difference. We've been getting our LB's pounded for many years now due to a refusal to address the NT position. Or, we were just too dumb to understand it.
+1. A few years ago virtually every play saw the interior DL's getting blown back several yards, frequently 1 on 1. That's not supposed to happen regularly in the NFL. The linebackers had to effectively run through a maze of their own guys and ol's to get to a ball handler. It was really stunning that the organization didn't think it was an issue that had to be dealt with quickly.

I'm still not sold on the 3T. That person should, from time to time, beat his blocker and disrupt the play in the backfield. That has been a rare occurrence for Dallas.

Belichik wrote his philosophies down years ago and a lot of it revolves around winning the middle of the field. I think some fans really underestimate just how much that does for a team and how much it trickles down into other aspects of the game. The Cowboys have been effectively playing with one hand tied behind their back for years now due to this issue (at least on defense, on offense everyone saw what Fred did).

Flamma

Reaction score

Agree 100%. I won't believe it until I see it as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lots of falsehoods here. The Cowboys run defense was good last year, Hankins was there for three of their four worst performances and was predominantly a non-factor.

Yah, Im not on that one. The run defense improved no doubt once Hankins got here. There is an article about when he was in there and when he wasnt. Its not to say the run defense was all world and couldnt be run on by great teams.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Dallas was 22nd in rush yards given up, 19th in rushing first downs and 16th in yards per rush attempt.

Game 1: TB 33 rush for 152 yards
Game 3: NYG 25 rush for 167 yards
Game 4: Wash 27 rush for 142 yards
Game 6: Phil 39 rush for for 136 yards

NFL Median yards rushing per game = 121

Basically, 4 of the 6 pre-Hankins games were pretty bad. That philly rush count really doesn't do it justice because some of it was them just running the game out.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Dallas was 22nd in rush yards given up, 19th in rushing first downs and 16th in yards per rush attempt.

Game 1: TB 33 rush for 152 yards
Game 3: NYG 25 rush for 167 yards
Game 4: Wash 27 rush for 142 yards
Game 6: Phil 39 rush for for 136 yards

NFL Median yards rushing per game = 121

Basically, 4 of the 6 pre-Hankins games were pretty bad. That philly rush count really doesn't do it justice because some of it was them just running the game out.
Yards per game doesn't matter

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yah, Im not on that one. The run defense improved no doubt once Hankins got here. There is an article about when he was in there and when he wasnt. Its not to say the run defense was all world and couldnt be run on by great teams.
Then the article is wrong

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Yep, as long as he doesn't lead/tackle with his head. :laugh:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll see your "shocked" and raise you a "beside myself with surprise".

Seriously, I do believe e the addition of Hankins and what he added to the defense was impetus for the Smith draft selection.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Yards per game doesn't matter
Strongly disagree. Teams have been able to sustain drives against Dallas using the run game for too long. I don't know if advanced stats take game situation into account but I highly doubt it. The fact that Dallas' pass defense ranking are much better than its run defense rankings despite frequently playing with a big lead is telling.