CFZ Need to see it, to believe it-run defense fixed?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cowboy Defense really struggled defending the run for the majority of last season:

-The trade of Hankins helped shore up the middle
-Really struggled with the outside runs to the weakside
-Had zero answers for those read option QB's
-Run defense was good against the 49ers until the got tired late

-The combination of Hankins/Mazi Smith should solidify the NT/1T position, emergence of Golston should solidify the interior.
-Quinn used Parsons more as a LB on the early run downs in the postseason, it seem to work, less outside, successful runs happened. This will also keep him more fresh.
-Will Clark make that so called 2nd year leap? He struggled with the mental side and was benched in the postseason.
-Overshown was being touted pre-draft as the #1 QB Spy LB in the class. Will Quinn carve out this role for him?

If this defense can be successful on the early downs, they have the potential of becoming truly an elite defense, with a very good pass rush and several ball hawks within our secondary.
I need to see it with everything about this team. I've seen enough summer platitudes, that never happen, this century. Year after year, we get...

"Dak can win a Super Bowl!" Prove it.
"This defense can win a Super Bowl!" Prove it.

It's July, when every team (and its fan base) convince themselves of things most will learn are untrue.

The Cowboys are different, though. The same two guys have been calling the shots since the 90s. How have they done? Yeah, I'm still skeptical. Prove it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm far more concerned about the LB unit .. than the DL unit.

- But despite slow vet Anthony Barr and Clark being phased out at playoff time and only having Luke Gifford as reserve,
all things considering we did very well vs Niners Shanhan run game and patented misdiirection scheme.
Especially surprisingly solid game from LVE, whereas he's normally fooled by misdirection

- Unfortunately with a downhill defense such as ours, we faltered and broke the water dam when we left on the
playing field far too much and too long in the later part of that Niners playoff game.

- But we have to build off the early success of run defense in the first half of that Niners game.
Quinn seemed like he made some adjustments to the struggling run scheme that paid early dividends in Niners playoff
game, maybe at the expense of the pass rush which dropped off -

what i have some concerned is
I did notice Quinn had Parsons playing more as an off the ball LB on the early run downs. This allowed him to read/react and fly to the football, rather then taking on a huge Tackle and forcing the runs inside (Outside Containment). I wonder if we are going to see more traditional looks in obvious run situations rather then that so called 4-2-5 formation that Quinn loves.

They were excellent for three quarters containing an elite rushing attack, but the offense failed to do their part which forced the defense to play too many snaps. This subject has been talked about this offseason, playing more complementry football. Way too many 3 and out drives, they need to do a better job of possessing the football, to keep the defense from tiring out late.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And the outside runs were there because our players had to collapse in to protect the middle.
Outside runs were there cause of Parson's failing to provide outside containment to force the runs inside. That is the #1 job against the run for any outside edge rusher. Against the 49ers, Parsons played more of an traditional linebacker role against the run.

quickccc

Reaction score
I did notice Quinn had Parsons playing more as an off the ball LB on the early run downs. This allowed him to read/react and fly to the football, rather then taking on a huge Tackle and forcing the runs inside (Outside Containment). I wonder if we are going to see more traditional looks in obvious run situations rather then that so called 4-2-5 formation that Quinn loves.

They were excellent for three quarters containing an elite rushing attack, but the offense failed to do their part which forced the defense to play too many snaps. This subject has been talked about this offseason, playing more complementry football. Way too many 3 and out drives, they need to do a better job of possessing the football, to keep the defense from tiring out late.
That right side where several teams were torturing Cowboys poor run defense - that would be Armstrong and Fowler .... Fowler is a nickel rotation guy that that was never a good run defender.
Probably one reason why Rams allowed him to walk.

In his role here with Quinn, as a rotation nickel rusher and Not a starter, his poor run defense is not as obvious and displayed.
When Dorace was slowed by injury,, Fowler's run defense was even more exposed with more reps and snaps

Rookie Williams was learning on the run, (no pun intended) and adjusting to the NFL nuisances of run defense. .

It becomes more of an issue with a full time starter like Armstrong, but Quinn apparently did something with Armstrong and right to minimize
the bleeding to an extent, as i previously said Quinn made some tweaks that placed more emphasis vs run, and lesser pass rush.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
At least they addressed it with the 1st pick so we will see how that works out.

Quinn needs his Deion Jones in this LB corps.
Two top 100 picks up the gut of the front 7 is quite a commitment. They seem to be better at drafting defense with Quinn. Hope that continues.

shabazz

Reaction score
This defense needs to be built to stop the entire Niners offense and Jalen Hurts……no sense addressing the AFC until one can actually reach a SB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the C gaps are more of a problem.

Our DE'S have to do a better job of containment.

Everyone wants to get a sack though. $$$

Big_D

Reaction score
Not just the run D but how it effects play action and frees up the LBs. That's the important part of having guys like Haskins and Smith in the middle. Cowboys usually had to sell out one way or the other and that had an impact on the entire defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not just the run D but how it effects play action and frees up the LBs. That's the important part of having guys like Haskins and Smith in the middle. Cowboys usually had to sell out one way or the other and that had an impact on the entire defense.
That's an excellent way to put it.

It's also incredibly hard to keep your LB's healthy w/ a small middle, as way too often the ball carrier gets to hit him w/ a full head of steam, as opposed to being slowed down by quality DL's.

Big_D

Reaction score
That's an excellent way to put it.

It's also incredibly hard to keep your LB's healthy w/ a small middle, as way too often the ball carrier gets to hit him w/ a full head of steam, as opposed to being slowed down by quality DL's.

It's nice to see the team finally taking those steps to get the DTs in place. Should help the LBs tremendously!

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Dallas was 22nd in rush yards given up, 19th in rushing first downs and 16th in yards per rush attempt.

Game 1: TB 33 rush for 152 yards
Game 3: NYG 25 rush for 167 yards
Game 4: Wash 27 rush for 142 yards
Game 6: Phil 39 rush for for 136 yards

NFL Median yards rushing per game = 121

Basically, 4 of the 6 pre-Hankins games were pretty bad. That philly rush count really doesn't do it justice because some of it was them just running the game out.
This is a good start - can you show the results once Hankins was added?