CFZ Need to see it, to believe it-run defense fixed?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I was shocked at how shocked some where that Hankins made such a huge difference. We've been getting our LB's pounded for many years now due to a refusal to address the NT position. Or, we were just too dumb to understand it.
Precisely , that stupid Marinelli , quick twitch tackle non sense

took some time for team management to address and now with Mazi it should improve further

CCBoy

Reaction score
How many this year will try to convince us the LVE sucks so they can play Jabril Cox instead?

In my opinion, LVE is key to the run defense. Whoever is behind him needs to stick to his hip like glue, in case he gets hurt.
He's on contract and dependable. I'm interested in Cox as well as the 'rook.'

plasticman

Reaction score
It takes drafting the right players and then giving them time to develop. Young DT's generally struggle against the run.

The 2021 draft is beginning to bare fruit, particularly in the interior of the line with Osi, Bohanna and Golston. the Cowboys run defense will be much improved.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy Defense really struggled defending the run for the majority of last season:

-The trade of Hankins helped shore up the middle
-Really struggled with the outside runs to the weakside
-Had zero answers for those read option QB's
-Run defense was good against the 49ers until the got tired late

-The combination of Hankins/Mazi Smith should solidify the NT/1T position, emergence of Golston should solidify the interior.
-Quinn used Parsons more as a LB on the early run downs in the postseason, it seem to work, less outside, successful runs happened. This will also keep him more fresh.
-Will Clark make that so called 2nd year leap? He struggled with the mental side and was benched in the postseason.
-Overshown was being touted pre-draft as the #1 QB Spy LB in the class. Will Quinn carve out this role for him?

If this defense can be successful on the early downs, they have the potential of becoming truly an elite defense, with a very good pass rush and several ball hawks within our secondary.
Our defense including stopping the run game will be there and ready.
The rest of the roster has massive problems.....
God bless our defensive players for the efforts who unfortunately for them are wasted.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We saw it last year with hankins and since we brought him back we should be ok. I think Dan Q understands what kind of DT they need for this group to be stout vs the run and Mazi should be that type of player very early. The best thing is Mazi might be so much more a d maybe he offers some inside pass rush threat we haven't had but they might take time. But vs the run day 1 this DL should be up to any threat.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
We simply need Mazi to be another Hankins. Hope he has the agility.
He COULD...but it usually takes DLinemen a couple years to acclimate to the NFL, and adjust to the 28 and 30 year old grown azz men on NFL offensive lines, vs the cherry cheeked peach fuzz 19 and 20 year olds they're used to beating up on

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time the Cowboys had a good run defense. It’s been a while.

ghst187

Reaction score
Whatever

Mandarich was on steriods and had to get off them for the testing in the NFL. He melted after that.
Well I’m not rushing to say Mazi will fix us because also I was pretty underwhelmed with his college tape esp the TCU game. I’m hoping it was scheme and misuse and his athleticism is brought to bear better for us but those are the other reasons I’m restricting my optimism for now. I hope he beasts out though.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well I’m not rushing to say Mazi will fix us because also I was pretty underwhelmed with his college tape esp the TCU game. I’m hoping it was scheme and misuse and his athleticism is brought to bear better for us but those are the other reasons I’m restricting my optimism for now. I hope he beasts out though.
He will be a beast. Remember I told you.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, there are definite questions about Mazi.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're wrong. YPC is somewhat relevant, but total yards is not. The Bears ran for 240 yards and lost by 20.

EPA absolutely accounts for game context.

Total yards is a measure of game script and defensive scheme. The first NYG and WAS games are perfect examples of this - both teams ran fairly well, but Dallas simply allowed it and took away the passing games. Neither team could score.

Run defense is going to be worse if you're playing with a big lead, because all you're going to do is defend the pass. See: Chicago.
Using one game to make a rule is completely irrelevant.

kskboys

Reaction score
How many this year will try to convince us the LVE sucks so they can play Jabril Cox instead?

In my opinion, LVE is key to the run defense. Whoever is behind him needs to stick to his hip like glue, in case he gets hurt.
LVE got better and better as the season wore on, as he recovered from injury.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thought those outside runs to the weakside killed them more then the ones up the middle. Tampa on opening night kept on running the exact play and we couldn't stop it. We also had major trouble with mobile QB's with the read option.
And the outside runs were there because our players had to collapse in to protect the middle.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMHO, I think the Cowboys did have a problem stopping those runs outside the tackles. I also believe the problem was partially Anthony Barr not having the quickness to get outside anymore. I think the Cowboys have some young LB with more speed who will cut off those runs outside.
And having to collapse in to stop interior runs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboy Defense really struggled defending the run for the majority of last season:

-The trade of Hankins helped shore up the middle
-Really struggled with the outside runs to the weakside
-Had zero answers for those read option QB's
-Run defense was good against the 49ers until the got tired late

-The combination of Hankins/Mazi Smith should solidify the NT/1T position, emergence of Golston should solidify the interior.
-Quinn used Parsons more as a LB on the early run downs in the postseason, it seem to work, less outside, successful runs happened. This will also keep him more fresh.
-Will Clark make that so called 2nd year leap? He struggled with the mental side and was benched in the postseason.
-Overshown was being touted pre-draft as the #1 QB Spy LB in the class. Will Quinn carve out this role for him?

If this defense can be successful on the early downs, they have the potential of becoming truly an elite defense, with a very good pass rush and several ball hawks within our secondary.
I'm far more concerned about the LB unit .. than the DL unit.

- But despite slow vet Anthony Barr and Clark being phased out at playoff time and only having Luke Gifford as reserve,
all things considering we did very well vs Niners Shanhan run game and patented misdiirection scheme.
Especially surprisingly solid game from LVE, whereas he's normally fooled by misdirection

- Unfortunately with a downhill defense such as ours, we faltered and broke the water dam when we left on the
playing field far too much and too long in the later part of that Niners playoff game.

- But we have to build off the early success of run defense in the first half of that Niners game.
Quinn seemed like he made some adjustments to the struggling run scheme that paid early dividends in Niners playoff
game, maybe at the expense of the pass rush which dropped off -

what i have some concerned is