CFZ Need to see it, to believe it-run defense fixed?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Teams have been able to sustain drives against Dallas using the run game for too long. I don't know if advanced stats take game situation into account but I highly doubt it. The fact that Dallas' pass defense ranking are much better than its run defense rankings despite frequently playing with a big lead is telling.
You're wrong. YPC is somewhat relevant, but total yards is not. The Bears ran for 240 yards and lost by 20.

EPA absolutely accounts for game context.

Total yards is a measure of game script and defensive scheme. The first NYG and WAS games are perfect examples of this - both teams ran fairly well, but Dallas simply allowed it and took away the passing games. Neither team could score.

Run defense is going to be worse if you're playing with a big lead, because all you're going to do is defend the pass. See: Chicago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least they addressed it with the 1st pick so we will see how that works out.

Quinn needs his Deion Jones in this LB corps.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont need to see it. This defense will be good against the run. As long as Mazi stays healthy. And with Mazi and hankins both I dont see a breather in there for backs.
I dont see any way that kid busts. He has everything you could want top to bottom.
I am right there as well. Not concerned over the run defense with these two. I am more intrigued by watching Mazi grow as a pass rusher as well. Something he was not asked to be or do at UM.
I love his attitude he wants to learn and do whatever they ask him to do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am right there as well. Not concerned over the run defense with these two. I am more intrigued by watching Mazi grow as a pass rusher as well. Something he was not asked to be or do at UM.
I love his attitude he wants to learn and do whatever they ask him to do.
I think he will definitely evolve as a pass rusher. Not immediately. 2 or 3 sacks this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
IMHO, I think the Cowboys did have a problem stopping those runs outside the tackles. I also believe the problem was partially Anthony Barr not having the quickness to get outside anymore. I think the Cowboys have some young LB with more speed who will cut off those runs outside.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
You're wrong. YPC is somewhat relevant, but total yards is not. The Bears ran for 240 yards and lost by 20.

EPA absolutely accounts for game context.

Total yards is a measure of game script and defensive scheme. The first NYG and WAS games are perfect examples of this - both teams ran fairly well, but Dallas simply allowed it and took away the passing games. Neither team could score.

Run defense is going to be worse if you're playing with a big lead, because all you're going to do is defend the pass. See: Chicago.
You're wrong. You are just using an atypical anecdote. Normally teams pass when down big and defenses will play shell coverages to let them get underneath. That tends to inflate passing numbers and cut back on running stats.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup/_/gameId/401437644

A more typical game from that early period was the TB game. Not great YPC but TB just keep sustaining drives with runs, particularly in the first half. That kind of stuff kept rearing its head all season up to the playoff loss (10 play 91 yard drive by SF including 7 runs to seal it):

• 1st & 10 at SF 9​

(5:58 - 3rd) PENALTY on DAL-D.Lawrence, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at SF 9 - No Play.
  • 1st & 5 at SF 14​

(5:58 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.McCaffrey left tackle to SF 21 for 7 yards (D.Wilson, D.Bland).
  • 1st & 10 at SF 21​

(5:19 - 3rd) B.Purdy pass deep middle to G.Kittle to DAL 49 for 30 yards (T.Diggs). 4 YAC
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 49​

(4:28 - 3rd) B.Purdy pass short middle to C.McCaffrey to DAL 41 for 8 yards (D.Bland; A.Barr). 3 YAC
  • 2nd & 2 at DAL 41​

(3:47 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.McCaffrey left guard to DAL 36 for 5 yards (A.Barr).
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 36​

(3:08 - 3rd) C.McCaffrey right tackle to DAL 28 for 8 yards (L.Vander Esch).
  • 2nd & 2 at DAL 28​

(2:28 - 3rd) (Shotgun) E.Mitchell up the middle to DAL 22 for 6 yards (D.Bland, L.Vander Esch).
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 22​

(1:44 - 3rd) (Shotgun) E.Mitchell left guard to DAL 20 for 2 yards (D.Armstrong).
  • 2nd & 8 at DAL 20​

(1:06 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Purdy pass incomplete short middle to B.Aiyuk (A.Barr).
  • 3rd & 8 at DAL 20​

(1:03 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Purdy sacked at DAL 26 for -6 yards (sack split by D.Lawrence and L.Vander Esch). PENALTY on DAL-D.Wilson, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 20 - No Play.
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 15​

(0:37 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Samuel right tackle to DAL 15 for no gain (D.Lawrence; A.Barr). PENALTY on DAL-J.Hankins, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 15 - No Play.
  • 1st & Goal at DAL 10​

(0:07 - 3rd) K.Juszczyk left guard to DAL 2 for 8 yards (M.Hooker; L.Vander Esch).
  • 2nd & Goal at DAL 2​

(14:58 - 4th) Christian McCaffrey 2 Yd Rush R.Gould extra point is GOOD, Center-T.Pepper, Holder-M.Wishnowsky.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Especially in playoffs. We had games last year where we had it stuffed and then when the talent evened up we got gashed. If Mazi can step up and rotate with Hankins and stay healthy all year we will be in good shape. Do we have any other DT1. This will also wipe out the step up pocket for qbs..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You're wrong. You are just using an atypical anecdote. Normally teams pass when down big and defenses will play shell coverages to let them get underneath. That tends to inflate passing numbers and cut back on running stats.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup/_/gameId/401437644

A more typical game from that early period was the TB game. Not great YPC but TB just keep sustaining drives with runs, particularly in the first half. That kind of stuff kept rearing its head all season up to the playoff loss (10 play 91 yard drive by SF including 7 runs to seal it):

• 1st & 10 at SF 9​

(5:58 - 3rd) PENALTY on DAL-D.Lawrence, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at SF 9 - No Play.
  • 1st & 5 at SF 14​

(5:58 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.McCaffrey left tackle to SF 21 for 7 yards (D.Wilson, D.Bland).
  • 1st & 10 at SF 21​

(5:19 - 3rd) B.Purdy pass deep middle to G.Kittle to DAL 49 for 30 yards (T.Diggs). 4 YAC
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 49​

(4:28 - 3rd) B.Purdy pass short middle to C.McCaffrey to DAL 41 for 8 yards (D.Bland; A.Barr). 3 YAC
  • 2nd & 2 at DAL 41​

(3:47 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.McCaffrey left guard to DAL 36 for 5 yards (A.Barr).
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 36​

(3:08 - 3rd) C.McCaffrey right tackle to DAL 28 for 8 yards (L.Vander Esch).
  • 2nd & 2 at DAL 28​

(2:28 - 3rd) (Shotgun) E.Mitchell up the middle to DAL 22 for 6 yards (D.Bland, L.Vander Esch).
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 22​

(1:44 - 3rd) (Shotgun) E.Mitchell left guard to DAL 20 for 2 yards (D.Armstrong).
  • 2nd & 8 at DAL 20​

(1:06 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Purdy pass incomplete short middle to B.Aiyuk (A.Barr).
  • 3rd & 8 at DAL 20​

(1:03 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Purdy sacked at DAL 26 for -6 yards (sack split by D.Lawrence and L.Vander Esch). PENALTY on DAL-D.Wilson, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 20 - No Play.
  • 1st & 10 at DAL 15​

(0:37 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Samuel right tackle to DAL 15 for no gain (D.Lawrence; A.Barr). PENALTY on DAL-J.Hankins, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 15 - No Play.
  • 1st & Goal at DAL 10​

(0:07 - 3rd) K.Juszczyk left guard to DAL 2 for 8 yards (M.Hooker; L.Vander Esch).
  • 2nd & Goal at DAL 2​

(14:58 - 4th) Christian McCaffrey 2 Yd Rush R.Gould extra point is GOOD, Center-T.Pepper, Holder-M.Wishnowsky.
Sure, if you're only talking about volume yards. But again, they do not matter. They are not tied to how well a team is performing or indicative of win probability.

This is the 49ers game. They had a 30-yard completion to Kittle and a 3&8 sack was called a first down due to defensive holding. The run game played third chair to an explosive in the passing game and officials, on that drive.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would hope after burning a 1st round pick on a 1tech/NT we will huge improvement. In other words, what more could they have done......
BTW.......Let's not sleep on LVE, he was playing some of his best ball before injury before the injury. I mean we keep hearing about the DLaws, Parsons, Diggs, and Williams but I have a feeling LVE could very well be our top 3 defensive player.
Thought those outside runs to the weakside killed them more then the ones up the middle. Tampa on opening night kept on running the exact play and we couldn't stop it. We also had major trouble with mobile QB's with the read option.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I dont need to see it. This defense will be good against the run. As long as Mazi stays healthy. And with Mazi and hankins both I dont see a breather in there for backs.
Thought they had more trouble with those outside runs to Parsons side then within the interior. This needs to be addressed, along with having a better plan stopping those read option QB's. Fields, the Houston backup had major success against us.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
The run defense did take a hit when LVE got hurt. I hate 'hoping' he stays healthy.

History says he will not and one of the young guys will need to step up.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
4-2-5 isnt the best vs the run.

2 LBs covering 6 gaps is a lot to ask.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
How many this year will try to convince us the LVE sucks so they can play Jabril Cox instead?

In my opinion, LVE is key to the run defense. Whoever is behind him needs to stick to his hip like glue, in case he gets hurt.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
With Hankins we had the best run stop percentage in the league. If they build on that the defense will be scary.