Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'm giving Z some time. He has to turn these guys into tough SOB's. Might take half the season or more to do it. Maybe longer. You can't change this soft Dallas Culture over in one day. But I didn't like how he was looking lost on the sidelines Sunday. DC lost/OC lost.....you get what happens to you,Sunday.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
How can Zim fix soft defenders? Go watch micah parsons on Kevin harts podcast. "We the show" smh. It's all fun and games to this defense unless they play a bottom feeder or basic offense. ...... Then it's poetry in motion. But against a tough team they aren't interested and it's as Diggs said "annoying"

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
DC lost/OC lost.....you get what happens to you on Sunday.
exactly...both looking lost and clueless. this won't improve overnight. luckily the NFC East is pretty paltry, so there's hope for a playoff spot...but for a playoff run? fuhgeddaboudit

:thumbdown:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Zimmer isn't fixing this. You can only scheme so far with the talent you have. To stop the run, you need some good DTs and MLBs. All starts up the middle. We lack in that department. But is anyone surprised? We don't value DT at all and go the cheap route constantly. We get no pressure up the middle.

quickccc

Reaction score
When trying to fix it...how much is it scheme wise issue ?

How much is it player personnel wise issue ..?

blueblood70

Reaction score
How can Zim fix soft defenders? Go watch micah parsons on Kevin harts podcast. "We the show" smh. It's all fun and games to this defense unless they play a bottom feeder or basic offense. ...... Then it's poetry in motion. But against a tough team they aren't interested and it's as Diggs said "annoying"
I find that ridiculous that you're gonna say that after one game look it's a new defense with a bunch of new players they don't know Mike Zimmer and Mike Zimmer doesn't know them and they're gonna work through this lot of them were just out of place not soft they got turned sideways they weren't in the right position some of those bombs perfect throws oh and the hold on Micah Parsons for that bomb didn't get called so he was in position to knock cars teeth out and you can thank the rest for not calling that when they called the one on guyton..

Can we calm down on the soft culture we brought in kendricks, overshown does not look soft ,this was just a bad game and again two games into a season with a brand new defense with no real preseason work and we got caught by there offensive coordinator who used to work for Mike Zimmer he knows Mike zimmer's defense and he just kicked Mike zimmer's *** when it came to the play calling he knew everything that was coming and he counted it he had a play for it he saw it I guarantee he was making changes before the snap like when he recognized the formations he knew what was coming that's what happened we can move on that's not gonna happen all 17 games if it does come talk to me but saying it can't be fixed is ridiculous we've had one of these games once a year and we almost always bounce back with a win the next week and we end up having twelve wins three straight years you can't be consistent like that and say that it can't be fixed..

Yes we were embarrassed the entire team the coaching staff it was a bad game mostly on defense but don't say it can't be fixed I'm just tired of hearing that it's not soft until it's proven every week I mean they didn't look soft game one you're going to say oh it's an opponent but we were picked to lose that game and we were picked to win against the Saints it shows you how hard it is to judge a week to week this is literally week to week..

We can talk about it at the end of the year not after two games then we can find out what Mike Zimmer can and can't do with this particular defense and you know Bland is coming back as well...

blueblood70

Reaction score

That game it was all the above I mean I don't have any time to repeat this when it's that bad it's everyone's fault you just need to scrap it watch the film try to get it fixed this is a week to weekly we're not gonna see the Saints and Mike zimmer's ex offensive coordinator who seemed to be in the playbook and know everything that was coming and have our players be just out of position enough to give up the big plays I mean they had the right scheme on double covered it was a perfect throw it was a hold on Micah Parsons that gave car the time to put the ball on the money in stride and it caused a touchdown but when I saw is our defender was right there he swiped a little too early but things like that are not gonna happen every week you're not gonna be slightly out of position enough to where Kamara gets skinny while you're a little sideways and he just misses grabbing you and put you on the ground this was a bad game all the way around and I don't think it's something that can't be fixed..

This is a week to week league and I think this let's see over 17 games we'll find out what it is and what it isn't..

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I find that ridiculous that you're gonna say that after one game look it's a new defense with a bunch of new players they don't know Mike Zimmer and Mike Zimmer doesn't know them and they're gonna work through this lot of them were just out of place not soft they got turned sideways they weren't in the right position some of those bombs perfect throws oh and the hold on Micah Parsons for that bomb didn't get called so he was in position to knock cars teeth out and you can thank the rest for not calling that when they called the one on guyton..

Can we calm down on the soft culture we brought in kendricks, overshown does not look soft ,this was just a bad game and again two games into a season with a brand new defense with no real preseason work and we got caught by there offensive coordinator who used to work for Mike Zimmer he knows Mike zimmer's defense and he just kicked Mike zimmer's *** when it came to the play calling he knew everything that was coming and he counted it he had a play for it he saw it I guarantee he was making changes before the snap like when he recognized the formations he knew what was coming that's what happened we can move on that's not gonna happen all 17 games if it does come talk to me but saying it can't be fixed is ridiculous we've had one of these games once a year and we almost always bounce back with a win the next week and we end up having twelve wins three straight years you can't be consistent like that and say that it can't be fixed..

Yes we were embarrassed the entire team the coaching staff it was a bad game mostly on defense but don't say it can't be fixed I'm just tired of hearing that it's not soft until it's proven every week I mean they didn't look soft game one you're going to say oh it's an opponent but we were picked to lose that game and we were picked to win against the Saints it shows you how hard it is to judge a week to week this is literally week to week..

We can talk about it at the end of the year not after two games then we can find out what Mike Zimmer can and can't do with this particular defense and you know Bland is coming back as well...
if we play the saints in the playoffs do you think the assassin would get on his podcast and say it's personal after Carr was rubbing his junk in the end zone? Be honest, what do you think? He's our leader. That'll answer whether Zimmer can make us tough or not

blueblood70

Reaction score
if we play the saints in the playoffs do you think the assassin would get on his podcast and say it's personal after Carr was rubbing his junk in the end zone? Be honest, what do you think? He's our leader. That'll answer whether Zimmer can make us tough or not
I bet if we play the Saints in the playoffs it's a whole different game I mean you act like they can repeat this exactly how it went I'm saying that's not how it works in the NFL it's very rare for that to happen... I'm not gonna have this debate with you it was one game it was a totally bad game by every player on the field and the defensive coaching staff bad game plan bad adjustments and I'm telling you I think if you play them again it would not be anywhere close to the same game there was a lot of things that happened to them that doesn't happen usually twice...

So yes adjustments can be made when we get to the end of the season you wanna have this discussion again we can but it doesn't matter our coaching staff are all lame ducks it's gonna be put up or shut up so you don't gotta worry about next year so let's just get through the season and then we can have this debate after the season on whether we think the players are soft or whether it's the scheme I think it was just a terrible game that everything went right for the New Orleans Saints the the play calling the the officials everything it was a perfect storm for us to get our butts kicked I'm glad it got done on game two that way we can move forward...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DT's we have starting are just too small, the backups we have aren't any good either

Cowboyny

Reaction score

His scheme is far better equipped then Quinn's which left gapping holes when they called those twists/stunts. Clearly Zimmer knows his lack of talent within the interior as the team signed multiple, street fa's to band-aid the position. Our linebackers were suppose to be better this yr, they had a terrible game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more, way too early to judge Zimmer. Just last week, people were saying already better then Quinn, now he is worse.

visionary

Reaction score
2 things:

1. I heard on Get Up yesterday that Zimmer had the #29 ranked defense his last 2 years in MN. So maybe he cant fix it

2. Also we have crap at DT and arr playing a LB at DT