Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kamara just ran another sweep and is heading for the end zone. Seriously, I agree with you. Lot of young players getting playing time. I agree with Parsons that it was more an effort issue but that’s not only on the players but also the coaches for not getting them ready.
It was a complete failure from top to bottom, everyone included. This issue was the main problem last yr and they need to fix it. If it means moving Parsons away from DE so be it, if it means they have to go get a legitimate defensive tackle, make it happen.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Saw Micah on podcast talking about the benching of Bryce Young, after getting pimp slapped by the saints OL, you worried about the Panthers. My goodness!

dfense

Reaction score
Wasnt the first time Zim was ran out of town was because of his horrible run defense?
Yup, When Campo was the coach. Zimmer's D allowed three 200+ yard rushers in a season. But to be fair, that was a while ago.

kskboys

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
He won't be able to fix it until we bring in better personnel at DT. The DE's setting the edge is sabotaged by poor DT play. When the DT's are getting pushed back at the snap(and they are), there is nothing the DE's can do. If they hold outside, the RBs run right by them. If the DE's crash in to protect, they RB's go outside.

It's very easy to beat any scheme that has poor DT play.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, way too early to judge Zimmer. Just last week, people were saying already better then Quinn, now he is worse.
Exactly my point is all sports are a lot of averages you have to play the entire schedule to let things ebb and flow and they work themselves out and then you can get a bigger picture of what you really have but these coaches need a chance to adjust to the players and the players to adjust to them and then to figure out how to get on a roll you remember after the San Francisco game last year that's when our offense finally figured it out now Mike McCarthy is part of the issue here with his play calling as well with the run game and not being aggressive down the field and kinda weird it seems like the same thing happened last year he was counting on the defense to be better and has these really weird game management like just not trying to make mistakes type of offense..

I mean it literally happened last year think about it blow out in the first game the next two or three games he seems to not be able to figure out how to use the running backs not how to push the ball down the field and he was really counting on the defense to be better than realize that they needed to score more points and be more effective pushing the ball down the field let's hope he wakes up same thing with Zimmer he needs a chance to see all this and figure out how to make adjustments..

What I wanna add because people are already talking about needing more defensive tackles look these guys didn't get here until right before the season started so Phillips and Joseph have been sitting and the same thing with Lawson and then there are dalvin cook is sitting on the sidelines trying to get in shape look this will get better I believe I could be wrong but I'm just trying to be the silver lining here or the voice of reason which is very strange I know because I'm very aggressive...

But there are 15 more games to go they're gonna look at the film make adjustments and I believe the players are embarrassed and we've done this in years past we've had one of these really terrible games followed up by a win and then we end up somehow winning 12 games I know it's not always gonna work but it seems to work the last three years. What we need is this coaching staff to get it figured out by the playoffs like literally if we're healthy and have the best way to utilize this team in the playoffs if we make the playoffs that's the goal is to be on point by the playoffs you should be playing your best ball it usually starts after the midpoint of the year you get into November and December and that's when you wanna be playing your best ball so let's hope this was just an anomaly..

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not small, it's even worse. They are under talented and limited athletically.
you won't say that once OSA makes his one HUGE per game tackle for loss, you won't say that!!! Lol (I hear ya though). We have to do something about Mazi, not sure I see this kid getting any better

blueblood70

Reaction score
His scheme is far better equipped then Quinn's which left gapping holes when they called those twists/stunts. Clearly Zimmer knows his lack of talent within the interior as the team signed multiple, street fa's to band-aid the position. Our linebackers were suppose to be better this yr, they had a terrible game.
Right but Joseph and Phillip sat all offseason they're just now big fatties trying to get into shape , and like I said before that's the entire team coming out of the preseason with not a lot of work together I mean I hope they get lost in and eventually dalvin cook I mean this team has not figured out its identity yet and I remember Mike Zimmer just saying in his press conference they ran a whole different offense than they were expecting when they looked at the first game and was using that as a scouting tool to put the game plan in they came out and ran a completely different offense.

Now he didn't adjust to it and he could have but I think Kubiak knew every single play call that was coming he literally looked over there got in Carrs ear, it says here's what's coming and we just never could figure it out he got beat bad by his former offensive coordinator and that happens sometimes when you know a team very well just like right now I don't know how it is that Minnesota keeps beating the 49ers they must know something they see something and they're recognizing things early in balance and being able to counter faster they definitely don't have the better players or coaching and somehow they're beating them...

fivetwos

Reaction score
It was a complete failure from top to bottom, everyone included. This issue was the main problem last yr and they need to fix it. If it means moving Parsons away from DE so be it, if it means they have to go get a legitimate defensive tackle, make it happen.
Nope, as far as Jerry and kid are concerned, they spent a first on Mazi, a third each on Osi and Golston, as well as several late picks on DTs, so they have done their part.

The fact that these picks may have been mistakes and these guys aren’t good enough doesn’t enter the equation.

Jerry made his effort, now he wants his ROI…and that is absolutely how he thinks.

Notice they didn’t even add the two old guys who are cooked until Zimmer said something. We have two GMs that aren’t really GMs, and it leaves this team at a tremendous disadvantage.

kskboys

Reaction score
you won't say that once OSA makes his one HUGE per game tackle for loss, you won't say that!!! Lol (I hear ya though). We have to do something about Mazi, not sure I see this kid getting any better
Mazi never was good, not even in college. Never did see why people thought he was worthy of the 1st round, and this from a guy who is constantly screaming for better DT's!!!!!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nope, as far as Jerry and kid are concerned, they spent a first on Mazi, a third each on Osi and Golston, as well as several late picks on DTs, so they have done their part.

The fact that these picks may have been mistakes and these guys aren’t good enough doesn’t enter the equation.

Jerry made his effort, now he wants his ROI…and that is absolutely how he thinks.

Notice they didn’t even add the two old guys who are cooked until Zimmer said something. We have two GMs that aren’t really GMs, and it leaves this team at a tremendous disadvantage.
This is why I wanted a strong minded HC who has the clout to tell them this is what he needs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mazi never was good, not even in college. Never did see why people thought he was worthy of the 1st round, and this from a guy who is constantly screaming for better DT's!!!!!!!
Here I thought we had good scouts

kskboys

Reaction score
It does mean that, absolutely no doubt.

And we knew it last year. GB was simply pushing Parsons to the outside and running right past him. He's playing out of position in exchange for a few more sacks. He'd be an all pro at LB coming in to stop the run.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The word is that we do, but Jerry drafts who he wants. It's not the scout's job to run the draft, they only evaluate players.
Ok well tell him to get that stupid jet out and go to all the colleges himself if it's going to be this way sheesh

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok well tell him to get that stupid jet out and go to all the colleges himself if it's going to be this way sheesh
And he's admitted that he refuses to watch game tape of possible incoming draftees!!!!!!!!!!!! What a GM!!!!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right but Joseph and Phillip sat all offseason they're just now big fatties trying to get into shape , and like I said before that's the entire team coming out of the preseason with not a lot of work together I mean I hope they get lost in and eventually dalvin cook I mean this team has not figured out its identity yet and I remember Mike Zimmer just saying in his press conference they ran a whole different offense than they were expecting when they looked at the first game and was using that as a scouting tool to put the game plan in they came out and ran a completely different offense.

Now he didn't adjust to it and he could have but I think Kubiak knew every single play call that was coming he literally looked over there got in Carrs ear, it says here's what's coming and we just never could figure it out he got beat bad by his former offensive coordinator and that happens sometimes when you know a team very well just like right now I don't know how it is that Minnesota keeps beating the 49ers they must know something they see something and they're recognizing things early in balance and being able to counter faster they definitely don't have the better players or coaching and somehow they're beating them...
Excellent response. Clearly they were outcoached.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Exactly my point is all sports are a lot of averages you have to play the entire schedule to let things ebb and flow and they work themselves out and then you can get a bigger picture of what you really have but these coaches need a chance to adjust to the players and the players to adjust to them and then to figure out how to get on a roll you remember after the San Francisco game last year that's when our offense finally figured it out now Mike McCarthy is part of the issue here with his play calling as well with the run game and not being aggressive down the field and kinda weird it seems like the same thing happened last year he was counting on the defense to be better and has these really weird game management like just not trying to make mistakes type of offense..

I mean it literally happened last year think about it blow out in the first game the next two or three games he seems to not be able to figure out how to use the running backs not how to push the ball down the field and he was really counting on the defense to be better than realize that they needed to score more points and be more effective pushing the ball down the field let's hope he wakes up same thing with Zimmer he needs a chance to see all this and figure out how to make adjustments..

What I wanna add because people are already talking about needing more defensive tackles look these guys didn't get here until right before the season started so Phillips and Joseph have been sitting and the same thing with Lawson and then there are dalvin cook is sitting on the sidelines trying to get in shape look this will get better I believe I could be wrong but I'm just trying to be the silver lining here or the voice of reason which is very strange I know because I'm very aggressive...

But there are 15 more games to go they're gonna look at the film make adjustments and I believe the players are embarrassed and we've done this in years past we've had one of these really terrible games followed up by a win and then we end up somehow winning 12 games I know it's not always gonna work but it seems to work the last three years. What we need is this coaching staff to get it figured out by the playoffs like literally if we're healthy and have the best way to utilize this team in the playoffs if we make the playoffs that's the goal is to be on point by the playoffs you should be playing your best ball it usually starts after the midpoint of the year you get into November and December and that's when you wanna be playing your best ball so let's hope this was just an anomaly..
The season is a long journey, the hope is they get better as the season progresses and play their best football late. Not just the Cowboys, but many teams are figuring it out now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Excellent response. Clearly they were outcoached.
Hopefully Lawson, Phillips and Joseph find a niche here and zims gets it together, lie jerry said better to have bad games in the RS but find it before the playoffs.

I'm not saying that's goanna happen, but I got to have hope it's too early in the season to give up we are 1-1 ties for 1st pace in our division. October is better place to see if they will start improving.