• Deion Jones
  • Jacob Phillips
  • Andre Smith
  • Anthony Pittman
  • Tae Davis

Reactions: CWR

Asklesko

Reaction score
It's not zimmer's fault, and it can't be fixed. The defense simply is what it is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Kamara just ran another sweep and is heading for the end zone. Seriously, I agree with you. Lot of young players getting playing time. I agree with Parsons that it was more an effort issue but that’s not only on the players but also the coaches for not getting them ready.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
When trying to fix it...how much is it scheme wise issue ?

How much is it player personnel wise issue ..?
Looked like it was soft DTs getting blown off the ball and LBs taking on linemen last week. I can't blame that on scheme.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kamara just ran another sweep and is heading for the end zone. Seriously, I agree with you. Lot of young players getting playing time. I agree with Parsons that it was more an effort issue but that’s not only on the players but also the coaches for not getting them ready.
It is going to take time and the players/coaches need to make it a priority.

Mikexike

Reaction score
he ain't fixing squat with those garbage bin DT's... If only SIMMONS from the titans would be available....... just need Levis to keep shittin the bed.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Zimmers coaching career had already begun when Klint Kubiak was born. The latter took the former to class on Sunday.

Has the game passed Zimmer by or does he just not have the horses?

It’s gotta be one or the other, no? I don’t see how a scheme tweak fixes this. I expect them to play a little better this week (tough to play any worse) out of having a small shred of pride, but they are still likely to get handled in the ground game.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Don't bet on it. GROZ was almost unanimously agreed upon by the Cowboy Fandom for a reason the last time he was DC here.

Verdict

Reaction score

We failed to set the edge the entire game. I don’t know how coaches can’t see that happening play after play and seemingly make zero adjustments the entire game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we don't have a choice. Zimmer is here. its him or nobody else.

bigE79

Reaction score

How can we a strong run defense when the players are soft as hell including #11

DandyDon52

Reaction score

micah had 2 tackles in a game where they mostly ran on dallas. he is the star player !
many runs were to the edge, so DT are not the ones that should defend those type runs.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I bet if we play the Saints in the playoffs it's a whole different game I mean you act like they can repeat this exactly how it went I'm saying that's not how it works in the NFL it's very rare for that to happen... I'm not gonna have this debate with you it was one game it was a totally bad game by every player on the field and the defensive coaching staff bad game plan bad adjustments and I'm telling you I think if you play them again it would not be anywhere close to the same game there was a lot of things that happened to them that doesn't happen usually twice...

So yes adjustments can be made when we get to the end of the season you wanna have this discussion again we can but it doesn't matter our coaching staff are all lame ducks it's gonna be put up or shut up so you don't gotta worry about next year so let's just get through the season and then we can have this debate after the season on whether we think the players are soft or whether it's the scheme I think it was just a terrible game that everything went right for the New Orleans Saints the the play calling the the officials everything it was a perfect storm for us to get our butts kicked I'm glad it got done on game two that way we can move forward...
Yep kind of like it's different every time we play San Francisco or any other team that runs the ball well.

We could have freaking Vince Lombardi as our coach and until we get some quality defensive tackles that can stop the run we will continue to have the same problem we have had for years.

We finally use a number one draft pick on a defensive tackle then put him on Jenny Craig and ruin him for the year shake his confidence. And now we got a roll of dice project that may or may not pan out.

You just can't make this stuff up first round defensive tackle draft pick needs to be an 8 to 10 year starting run stopper.

Loso86

Reaction score

Dint have a trust but to hope and trust him

krs1bro

Reaction score
I apologize in advance forum for not reading all of the posts in this thread. I was on board with Zimm until one our best athletes wasn't on the dam field for most of the 1st half and I'm talking about DeMarvion Overshown. You should be fired IMO dumb ##$%^***.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
micah had 2 tackles in a game where they mostly ran on dallas. he is the star player !
many runs were to the edge, so DT are not the ones that should defend those type runs.
I go back to that 1st playoff game at the 49ers when Quinn had Parsons playing off the ball, they held their great run game in check for 3 quarters until they got tired cause the offense stalled out all day. Insert Kneeland in our base defense and we should see instant improvements.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We failed to set the edge the entire game. I don’t know how coaches can’t see that happening play after play and seemingly make zero adjustments the entire game.
This has been an issue for years, which is why I liked the Kneeland pick. Time to start him at DE in our base defense and replace Clark with Parsons at LB.